Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Sports car, Can anyone ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billshari, Mar 3, 2013.

1. This c[​IMG]ar is listed on EBay. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am thinking home made also but what is under the hood ? A Offie 4 or a Miller 4 or maybe a Model B with speed goodies .
    Please go check it out and report back.

3. Agreed - looks like a backyard engineered . . . something. Appears to be a bunch of cast-off pieces frankensteined together.

Was the cutdown, swallowtail-style cockpit opening a later model rear quarterpanel turned upside down?

Steve

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone's attempt at building a home made boat tail roadster is what I see. From the severe rust it looks like it has been sitting in that same spot for 50 years and isn't worth much of anything except for what the chassis and or engine might be worth.

It was very common for guys to buy a running old car for little of nothing in the early 50's and roll the body off and build or attempt to build their own sports car when they couldn't afford what was coming out of Europe at the time. If you want to build something like that you would be a lot better off to start the way they did with a rolling chassis and build your own body. A chassis out from under a 60's early 70's Asian pickup would probably be a decent start if you didn't expose much of the front suspension. That would be the modern counterpart of the chassis out from under V8 Ford from the late 30's simplicity wise. Or find a whole rolling chassis out from a car that is getting a "streetrod" chassis and build the body on that.

5. i guess it's worth $99

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like somebodies effort at building a Special. Has good lines from what little camn be seen in the photo. I like it.

7. It's a hopeless roach but I'd sure like to see it dug out and sittin on inflated tires just to get a feel for what it looked like when the original builders first screwed it together.

8. blitz

blitz

Im close to where it is, i almost want it for $100. Bridgehampton,westhampton,islip are all close by. Maybe some old track history its cool but maybe to far gone.

9. Wow, shame it had to sit there and rot. Not every day you find an old racer..guess that is what it was.

10. Andy

Andy

It is made from a 32 Ford. It probably has a complete 32 chassis with added hydraulic brakes. It has the 32 pedals and steering column with the drop. Engine is trash but the trans may have a good shifter. ford steelies are good to have. Might be a real good buy depending on rust.