Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old shift knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scraper, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Scraper

Scraper

Hey! Does anyone remember brass knuckle shift knobs? If ya do, do ya know how to get 'em still? I'm about to make a TJ run and just make a few for my self and some friends, but if I can come up on a real deal old piece, that would be just plain SICK! Thanks.
    Oh...and when I end up making 'em, I'll let ya know if anyone is interested....

2. Greazer

Greazer

It's funny you should mention this topic. It's been on my mind for the past month or so.

I was going to make one myself. I've seen it done as a motorcycle jockey-shifter before, but never on a car. (I still can't picture exactly how it would look).

If you should get one or make one, please pm me with a picture. No need for me to completely reinvent the wheel on this one if it's already been done well.

3. I have seen them on cars before.... I could probably get a few for cheep.... give me a week and ill look around...

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

We used to just drill 'em out and tap them. Don't know if anyone ever actually made one commercially.
    My favorite was beer taps. My mother had a bar and there was a ton of old taps and shit in the back room. Every time I'd get a new car, I'd fit another tap for the shifter. Wish I'd kept them all...

5. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i have a bunch of them...wow shift knobs!!!and i've just been hitting people with mine [​IMG]

6. [ QUOTE ]
    i have a bunch of them...wow shift knobs!!!and i've just been hitting people with mine [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

willing to give 1 or 2 up for my projects? willing to pay a bit..

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Hey Rat Rodder...check out any gun/knife shows in your area...usually a few sets available there!

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

DG, Isn't it amazing the uses prople will come up with for common everyday objects? HAHA!!!

9. HAAS

HAAS

Look at Military stores...I've seen "Paper Weight" brass knuckles for about 15 bucks at militarty stores here in town.

10. theirs shit around here...meaning gun shows or military supply places... I seen a few down at a local flee market but their more than 15...

11. Scraper

Scraper

[ QUOTE ]

If you should get one or make one, please pm me with a picture. No need for me to completely reinvent the wheel on this one if it's already been done well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll do that. No problem. Probably what I'll end up doing is the drill and tap method. I'd like it to stand on end so on my shifter it would be at a comfortable height to grip. Also I figure drilling and tapping would allow it to still be used properly....not that I would or anything...

I know they are pretty inexpensive in Mexi. A friend just brought some back and they're brass, too (I heard someone's doing them in pot metal!).Thanks for the info.