Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old School Wisconsin H.A.M.B.ers, have you ever?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69tincanfairlane, Dec 11, 2010.

1. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

been to these local speed shops? I bought these decals from an area collector. I would like to know more about the history of these by gone Wisconsin Speed Shops. Anyone know when these shops were open for business? Share your experiences and memories here. Thanks!!!

2. Have not been there, but my Hilborn was ordered there.

[​IMG]

3. Attached Files:

4. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thanks for the posts!

Anyone know when Schliepers was in business?

Go ape had two locations and judging by the artwork on the decal I would guess early 1970's to ? Anyone been there?

Thanks.

5. still in business, just owned by the sons, and the reputation/quality has gone down hill since

6. customrod48

customrod48

schliepers was, in the 50's and 60's a very good speed shop. I had friends who ran outlaw drag cars in the early and mid-60's who had work done by them, it was a big deal to have a "schleipers" engine in your car at that time.......don't know when they started or when they went to crap.........

7. JRK

JRK

I bought some parts from A.P.E. I think it was open in the mid 70's. I knew a guy that worked for them so he gave me a break on the prices. A.P.E. was Automotive Performance Equipment. Jim

8. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

We swam in Schliepers quarry as kids and raced dirt late models with Danny back in the day. I thought Danny was building engines with Al Schill at one time.

9. 1965 Coronet

1965 Coronet

Thats funny, I found a couple of old water lift decals from Schliepers at my aunts house when we were cleaning out her boyfriends stuff out of the garage (he was a dirt modified racer in the 60's), stuck one on my car and when my neighbor saw it he said the same thing, he grew up not far from there also.

10. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

Its Fox Brook Park now days on Barker road Brookfield

11. ljs05

ljs05

The Schlieper boys started their own business (Pro Power). It had nothing to do with their dad and he was still in busines into the 90's. Pro Power was at one time in a building owned by Al Schill, but they moved to a building of their own a long time ago. Danny is still one of the top dirt racers in the US and makes his living from it. He has won several of the top races for dirt late models in the country. And as far as their quality, go to a traveling dirt late model race and see all the cars with Pro Power on them. They have many of the big names as customers. If there is any down fall for the average rod having one of their engines it would be cost. But all the top racing builder are expensive now and they are no worse. :)