Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old school cool 248 Gmc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neb Hillbilly, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Neb Hillbilly

Neb Hillbilly

I have been looking for a motor for my Grandpa's 55.1 GMC for ever. I recently bought a 6x6 302 finally but wouldn't you know engine pops on facebook a few weeks later. Castings show 248 block, 302 head, small port nicson and Fenton exhaust. Reasonable deal so I talk myself into it. looking at the outside I noticed the dist looks funny, ends up being a Mallory dual point. Borescoped the pistons an noticed bump pistons. Everything appeared to show it was a fresh engine that was never started. Today I tore it apart. First thing I discovered is is aluminum retainers and dual valve springs. pulled the head and found some big dome pistons that end up being jahns .020 pistons. Removed the 37 Chevy tranny and clutch and GMC 4 bolt flywheel. Drained 4 gallons of water out of the pan and was scared that the rotating assembly was garbage. pump and delivery tube are rough but rotating assembly looks ok. Crank.is for sure a 248 crank with mains .010 and rods .020. excited about the cam grind. hoping the compression isn't too much for pump gas. more pictures tomorrow. Probably not a great truck engine but it deserves to be used.

Later
    John

Attached Files: