Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old san antonio speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprodinc, Dec 5, 2010.

1. choprodinc

choprodinc

Today I had to go to the south end of San Antonio to pick up some parts and started thinking about the old San Antonio Speedway. I spent countless evenings and weekends there as a teenager(I'm almost fifty now) so it's been along time since I've seen the old track. I remember me and friends sneeking in because we didn't have enough money for beer AND entry fees. Racing under the lights, warm summer breezes, good friends, the smell of race fuel, the roar of engines and tires burning in the pits, man I lived for that shit. Girls were alright, but much rather be sitting on the top row of the bleechers at the round track so we could see both the roundy rounds and Alamo Dragway at the same time. In case you never went... the speedway and drag strip were back to back and sitting on the top gave a beautiful view of both paradises. I saw Big Daddy Don Garlits, Cha Cha Muldowney, Don The Snake Prudome, Connie Colletta and all the other bigs runs down that track. Good Times! Both tracks have been closed for years now and all that is left are ruins. The drag strip is completely covered with grass and the speedway is getting there. I took a few picks to share with you guys. Not much to look at now, but in it's prime... it was a great venue. Brought a tear to my eyes. Hope you enjoy the pics! Thanx for lookin!

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      529.3 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      328.3 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      533 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      514.6 KB
      Views:
    • 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      File size:
      530.3 KB
      Views:
    • 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      540.2 KB
      Views:
    • 041.JPG
      041.JPG
      File size:
      312.5 KB
      Views:
    • 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      484.9 KB
      Views:
    • 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      500.9 KB
      Views:
    • 056.JPG
      056.JPG
      File size:
      360.9 KB
      Views:
    • 060.jpg
      060.jpg
      File size:
      563.3 KB
      Views:
    • 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      508.6 KB
      Views:
    • 083.jpg
      083.jpg
      File size:
      558.6 KB
      Views:
    • 106.jpg
      106.jpg
      File size:
      497.9 KB
      Views:
    • 105.jpg
      105.jpg
      File size:
      485.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

wow!

Whats the story on it now?

looks like they just up and left

3. Yes, I had some very good times there also as a kid. A buddy of mine Johnny Martinez was part owner, and If I remember correctly he told me Toyota and investors purchased all the land around the raceway and purchased the raceway.

4. toml24

toml24

Gosh. When a race track closes down they usually scrape it clean down to the bare dirt. This looks like a ghost track. I think about Ascot Park Gardena, CA. It was all gone within about 4 months of closing.

5. Rusty

Rusty

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Spent my highschool wednesdays and weekends at Alamo Dragway. Drove up from Corpus damn near every week to race. We walked over to the Speedway one night and caught some action, but we were straightliners and it just wasnt our thing. I loved Alamo Dragway, wish it was still open. Great pics!

7. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

I remember going there when I was younger. I went with a friend of mine that was running his fuel car down ther one night. We left the house around around 3pm on a sat night and got to the track around 6pm ran the race and finished up around 2am Sunday morning and was back at his shop little before 6am. I was about 15 when this went down, and I remember rideing in the front seat coming back home and his interior lights didn't work. He used a flash light to check the gauges going home. That was the time I knew I was hooked. I was with Claude Meador and I remember Troy Green and Wilson Racing and I think John Barret was racing that night.

8. choprodinc

choprodinc

9. toml24

toml24

Seeing your photos reminds me of the start of the movie "12 O Clock High". You walk out onto the asphalt and then you hear the sounds of distant engines starting. Then the winds pick up and the low-lying bushes begin to sway back and forth. You take your glasses off to clear the dirt particals from your eyes. The engines are louder now and the smells have returned. You have now gone back in time to Saturday nights, how many decades ago.

10. seatex

seatex

Great post, Robin, I COULD ALMOST SMELL THE RUBBER BURNIN'! Thanks for posting, Brother.

11. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

12. deeddude

deeddude

They had a race out there back in October IIRC. I've also read that there would be some racing in 2013. Fun track to race on.

13. steamer

steamer

Great pictures,what a waist to see it left like that.

14. ebfabman

ebfabman

I put some laps on the half mile back in the 90's

15. Toecutter

Toecutter

Alamo Dragway, where if your car was slow the fans would throw beer bottles at you....lol. At least that's what we saw towards the end before it shut down. :D

16. txtom

txtom

The San Antonio Speedway is running 4 races in 2013, starting the weekend of April 20th. It is operating under a special use permit for 4 races, and is staffed completely by volunteers, who have done everything from rebuilding the walls and grand stands to running the events themselves. I have been involved in this, and it was great to see what we accomplished in October 2012, when we had a full pit, and a turn away crowd. The track is leased for the events from the property owner, who has it for sale.
    To clarify some things posted, Toyota never bought the track property or any of it around there. Their only land purchase is the foorprint of the plant, some 1 1/2 miles away. The land under San Antonio Speedway, and the adjoining Alamo Dragway, was owned by the Reeh family, Specifically Lillian. The Martinez Family owned the infrastructure of the dragstrip, but never the land. Several people have owned the Speedway infrastructure. Both tracks suffered for years from neglect--how much would you spend on upkeep knowing at any time the landowners could sell out fom under you?
    The parcel of property Alamo Dragway sat on was sold to a manufacturing company, and that parcel included the foorprint of a 1/4 mile dirt track that operated for a few years. The track surface is still there, although in severe disrepair.
    The Speedway land and infrastructure are wholly owned by the Reeh Family; now her son. Lillian has passed. It will probably not sell anytime soon, as his asking price is not feasible. We are looking at options for 2014, but pending San Antonio City annexation actions will affect any racing at the speedway in 2014 and beyond.
    We are hopeful, but also realistic.

17. I raced a 68 Chevelle there in the late 90's before it closed. I remember there was a hump towards the end of the left lane. :p
    I have lots of memories from there when I was a kid in the 70's. Once River City Raceway opened up I guess that pretty much sealed Alamo Dragway's fate.

18. Robert1555

Robert1555

At the old Alamo Dragway was the staring line at the south end of the track by Watson Rd?

19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Always hate to see another track close down so I am happy to hear they will run a few races this year.

Not sure how much work the track needs to get it ready for any races? The pictures look like it really needs a great deal of work first.

I really hope they can fix the place up again and make it work.

Jimbo

20. cooger

cooger

What a cool place for a nostalgia drag meet and show.
    Leave just as it is and let's fire 'em up.
    cooger

21. seatex

seatex

Any updates, TxTom?

22. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Edited.
    With the drag strip in Marion being auctioned this week and receiving no bids it looks like racing is doomed in San Antonio. Both drag and roundy round.
    :(