Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I have been looking forward to this thread all day. You guys are doing/ have done a great job!

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks mate, think I let you slip through the crack.

Thanks fitzee. Holy shit, the Flatliner puts both of our Rusty's to shame!! Love where you're headed with her.

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man.

Thanks for the support!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn dude, you guys are fast!!! This thing is coming along!!! Bring it by the Iron Lords show night when you get it on the road!!!!

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

6. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

</p>
    Say that again. You look like a great mechanic! Very very nice.

7. gsport

gsport

i saw you got the car in 06'.. how far along are you on it now?? i've been checking this thread everytime i get on line to see the progress... keep'm coming

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha!! Fast you say? It's taken 4 years to get to where you see it above, chassis nearly complete, engine and tranny mounted, body back on frame. Only one day to tell the story.

Damn Jeffrey, but something seems to always be up on Wed. night. Looking forward to coming back to the shop. And really wanted to see the start of Delton's chop, but was in S. Fla. for a family reunion. Hell, I might just trailer the damn thing up there some Wed. night to get ya'lls input and advice. Thanks man.

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Butch. Billy's enthusiasm has carried the project along from time to time. Me and fitzee are out to prove to all ya'll that you can make chicken salad out of chicken shit!!:D

You are too kind, sir, too kind. Thanks.

Sad to say that's about as far as we've come. Now that I've hooked you poor hoodlums in, it'll be like watching paint dry from here to the finish. My goal is to have it on the road by spring '12, really only another year and a half. Here's all we have left:

Exhaust
    Drive shaft
    Wheels & tires
    Plumb brakes
    Gas tank & fuel lines
    Steering column & wheel
    Insulation
    Radiator & fan
    Transmission cooler
    A/C & heat
    Sandblast doors, hood, fenders, trunk lid
    Install & prime doors, hood, fenders, trunk lid
    Repair lower rear quarters & finish floor
    Paint
    Headlights, taillights, dome light, etc.
    Gauges
    Wiring & battery
    Upholstery
    Install seats & seat belts
    Bumpers
    Front springs & shocks
    Hardware & trim

Let's see, am I forgetting anything?
    Who am I kidding, 1-1/2 years !!
    Of course, if this was a TV show we'd have it all done in a week!!:p
    Thanks, gsport.

10. oldman2

oldman2

All of us on the site got to watch your son grow up in just 2 days, see your project start from sad shape to getting much better. It brings back memories of our past projects and gives us hope on our new ones. I have subscribed and will stick to the end, slow or fast, will wait for each update. My son and I now work on projects together, I'm retired (65) and he does most of the work, I guide and help out, but our time together is worth more than anything. I see that in you and your son. God Bless and keep posting.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I am not going to post my to do-list.I guess its something like 10 pages long thread.
    Keep it up!

12. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

It's threads like this that make a guy join a forum like this!! Great information, and a real how too, not only for your son, but for those of us that also will be tearing an old Chevy apart someday! I just spent the last 1/2 hour reading the whole thread, and wanted to say Great Job!! Also... your parts car was a '49... not a '50. The hood and trunk emblems, trunk handle, and the grille are different. I hope you also hung onto that license plate guard on the front bumper, as it is a rare part, only found on the '49's and used all over for '50's style customs!

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another father/son combo, that's great. Appreciate it.

Yea, I gave the rough outline version. Lotta work left.

Thanks brewster, and welcome to the HAMB ! This place has many rooms, and you get to wander the halls and peek in anywhere. Take up a seat in the back of the room, raise your hand if you have a question. Or find a room where they're doing your thing and walk in and say "Howdy folks!! I'm home!" Some rooms are professional rod shops that just blow your mind. Some are home garages that do the same. Sometimes you get to listen in on intimate details from the men that were there back in the day. Better than anything on TV by a country mile :)

Thanks for the info., did not know that (don't know a lot). Did not save much from Rusty Senior, but we did save both bumpers, thought they were cooler than Old Rusty's.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billy fell in love with '59 Caddy taillights . . . who didn't?
    Had to have them.
    Work in progress, not totally satisfied with where we're headed with them.

Let me know what you think.

Took the cowl vent boots and turned them into taillight housings. Have not done any sheet metal work around them yet . . . just not sure.
    Maybe they need to be set into the fender deeper?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. fitzee

fitzee

Now that is a interesting use of heater vents! Cool idea.

16. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I'm not really feeling the tail lights . May be recess them in more but otherwise great Job!

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks fitzee.

And I'm with you Larry, I'm not feeling them either, maybe more recess will help. Thanks.

18. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Nice work!
    Your son will never forget this experience and cherish the car that much more since you did it together.
    My daughter says she will never give up her 64 nova station wagon we did for her unless she someday passes it on to her son.

19. rustyhood

rustyhood

Nice project, and nice job from the frame to sheetmetal work.
    The kewlest part is when you hear your son telling his friends that you and him did it.
    A great learning experience and quality time with the boy that will never be forgot.
    I started mine off at age 4, he's 31 now and built a bad azz 40 chopped chevy pickup with a 501 caddy motor. Makes a dad proud.....yes sir!

20. Awesome job... Just the motivation I needed to get back to working on my 52. Keep up the good work.

21. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

This is so cool. My son is turning 11 next week for the last 4 years all he talks about is wanting a hotrod model a or t. We have been slowly collecting parts here and there in hopes to have something to start with next year. I think For his b day next year will be the body and we can jump in from there.

Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work. looks like you have a great family there!!!!!

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Very cool.

I always tell myself I'm going to bag n' tag everything, but never do. Then weeks down the road I'm wondering what the hell I did with all the hardware etc.

23. roadking41a

roadking41a
    from NC

I hate to say this but the new tail lights look like a cross between a Pontiac and a Cadillac. It doesn't fit.

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic. I'm sure your grandson will be all over that car by the time he's 14. Thanks.

Yessir, that would make a dad proud!! Good on 'ya. And you are correct, it's been a great shared experience. Thanks.

Thanks. Now get back to work!!

Wow!! A 10 year old talking hotrod!! You're raising him well, there, SLAMIT. Your home videos of the 12th b'day party will rule! Good luck, and thanks.

Yea, you just have to remember where all the tagged parts are!! Thanks.

I agree with you, it's just not working. Will try something different, guess I'll recess them in about 3 to 4" more and see how they look.

25. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

If he isn't dead-set on the Caddy lights, I happen to love these cars with the 49-51 Ford tail lights and wind spears...

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, I like those better too. Thanks for the input. Will give the caddy light setup at least one more try.

27. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

man that thing is lookin nice and me and my dad have 2 51 chevys in the workings as we speak.his is 4 door and mine is 2 door. and we just got through with 2 63 impalas mine a 4 door and his is a 2 door ha ha . but we are have a blast!!! keep it comin!

28. Wicked50

Wicked50

I like the way it's turning out

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love to see a pic of ya'lls garage!! Ya'll are knee-deep in Chevy! Good luck and thanks.

Thanks. Billy loves the Rick Ross song, by the way, he went through a period of about 2 months where that's about all he said . . . "How's it going Billy?" . . . "Everday I'm hustlin' . . . ":)

30. robleticia

robleticia

BrerHair,
    Finally a build thread, yeah! Man, I just got done reading from start to finish, holy crap! Its great to see the father son project, my boys only want to know when it is going to be done, not can they help. I will never complain about rust again, you are the man!!!! Great job so far, and that chasis turned out fantastic! Well I am subscribed, keep up the great work!
    Rob