Register now to get rid of these ads!

old radio service

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazy_tonguezz, Jun 10, 2013.

1. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

so i was wondering if anyone has a person who does radio service and auxilary upgrades, i have a radio out of my 1963 mercury monterey.

2. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I know a guy in the LA area who does repair. PM me and I'll find his number

3. banjorear

banjorear

Does '63 still use tubes or is it solid state?

4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

My radio repair guy is moving to a new house now and won't be doing any repairs for a few months

5. 1953Plymouth

1953Plymouth
    from Peoria, AZ

There's an older gentlemen (70's/80's?) in a late 70's full size Ford wagon that is always at the GCC "Just Sell It Now Swap Meet" that specializes in old radio repairs. I can't find his card but give Chester's Garage (602-265-6743) a call as he is always parked in their lot during the spring MelRose car show/festival.

6. rld14

rld14

I can't advise you on an aux input, but if you're handy with fixing electronics 90% of the time replacing the paper capacitors in these brings them back to life.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i tend to be handy with electronics. plus i love to tinker with stuff, on the other hand im close enough to the gcc too and its always nice to spend in the community.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. I've had old radios in my cars repaired by two different guys. All they ever really did was to replace tubes and/or capacitors. Especially since you say you're good with electronic stuff, I'm sure you could do it yourself. There are tutorials on Youtube. Search, "how to repair antique/vintage car radio", etc.

9. rld14

rld14

Yup!

Generally a rebuild on an old car radio means new caps and a new vibrator. Tubes are a lot more reliable than people think.

To convert a 6v radio to 12v I've read that its a matter of changing to 12v tubes and vibrator.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd get on Google and find a mail order company that can convert your old mono radio into a stereo unit with all kinds of bells and whistles. (if desired) I checked into it and they said all they use from the old set is the tuner so your old knobs will match. It's pricey (by my standards) but you get a modern set in the old attractive package.

11. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

My dad has been repairing tube type radios for literally decades, he currently has a HAMBr radio in his shop now but he passes on the solid state stuff.

While your radio gets repaired have an aux jack put in between the tuner and the amplifier circuits, I did this and put the jack in the ashtray. I can play music from my Ipod over the factory radio and control the volume using the radio's volume knob. It's amazing how well the sound is from the dash mounted speaker, still mono but that adds a vintage quality to the music (or at least to someone who grew up listening to WLS on a mono system)

12. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Petril that's exactly what i would liked to do to my radio. Does your dad accept mail in repairs

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I went to a lot of trouble to retain my 55 Chrysler positive ground radio.

Now I can enjoy the two staions that I can recieve, both of them AM of course and niether of them worth lisenting to!

14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i hear you on that Roger. i want to keep the stock look and just update the inners.

15. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

my radio does turn on... but it makes an awful sound through the speaker , like a repetative popping and scratchy sound. turning the volume know does nothing or turning the tune know. . so its time to read up on radio repair to see if i can do this my self.

16. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale