Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old radiator - any value other than scrap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

When I (re) purchased my '41 Chevy coupe, I knew that it would need a radiator. It had the original, and the car would start to overheat after about half an hour of driving.

I got an aluminum radiator from Superior Radiator in MI, and it fit like a glove, and cooled just as it should.

I know that the old radiator is worth a few dollars in scrap, but would an old radiator have any value to someone other than scrap, ie. for the top and bottom tanks, inlet/outlets, etc?

Thanks...

Chris

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

So as a core?

4. Why didn't you get the original radiator repaired? Just curious.

5. A new core would have probably solved your overheating problem,you might sell the original radiator at a swap meet. HRP

6. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I live in CT. Things are expensive here.

New core = about $600

Aluminum radiator = $220 shipped.

None of the drive train is original, so it was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned.

Chris

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I scrap all of mine, torch off the steel parts so it is clean brass and off to the scale. I tried selling them at swap meets before but nobody wanted to pay even scrap prices, probably because they were going to scrap them themselves!
    If you really want to sell them I would torch off the tanks and brackets to sell and scrap the core.

8. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

Lets see how long that Aluminum radiator last don't get rid of your old one you will want to re core it ask me how I know

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Miguello

Miguello

I put an aluminum one in my 86 Ramcharger with a 5.9 liter. Never overheated a single time, and didn't spring any leaks either. It was still working fine when I sold the truck 3 years ago.

10. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Joe -

Superior Radiator = American Made, so I have a lot more faith than in any crap from China. I've never heard anything bad about them, and there are plenty of fans here on the HAMB, so I'm hoping that I'll be ok...

Chris