The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruisinJRod, Apr 16, 2014.
This is really amazing.....anyone else try this?
Are you using a regular green one?
You should have used tan masking tape, blue isn't traditional...
I know the bike s off topic, but in the interest of the contents of the thread, I thought it might be appropriate to post this here.
In trying to match the primed (many, years ago) sheet metal to the original bike frame, etc., I recently did this on a '29 Indian 101 Scout. After several different attempts I came up with this process; First, I painted the sheet metal in as close to Indian Red as I could get. I then brushed on paint remover , let it set for a while and then lightly burned it off with a Bernz-o-matic. Then went over the entire surface with fine steel wool.
The bike is also pictured as it was before I did this.
^^^That indian looks killer. What kind of paint remover and is a bernz-o-matic a propane torch?
They dug a indian motorcycle up out of someone back yard the other night on American pickers.
I used Klean- Strip paint remover and the Bernz-o-matic was propane. You have to go real easy with the torch. First the solvents need to be burned off. They will ignite and have to be extinguished.
After you go over it a few times, you have to let it sit and harden. Then hit it with the steel wool.
Best to practice on something first.
The paint I used was Rustoleum enamel. The process may have different results with different brands and paint type. I am not sure on that.
I saw them remove the Power Plus from the yard the other night. Very interesting to say the least.
I want do this too, except I want to blend in some black satin on some of the really exposed brown primer areas, then sand back through a bit, should I use CLR before adding paint, or after, right now its so dirty I cant see whats rust, and whats Primer! It’s at my dads right now two hours away so I can’t just go out and wipe it down.
That has turned out to be a good looking Buick. Show more pics! PS. I may mave to try that method myself on the '50 .
I would dilute the CLR down, and use a rag and wipe down an area. Then neutralize the area with lots of water. That should give you a solid base to blend in the paint. You might want to use gloss black paint instead of satin though. Start off in small inconspicuous areas, until you get a feel for what you are doing.
Good tech info. Thanks all.
Separate names with a comma.