Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Navy store prop trucks - worth anything?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by montclaire, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Called an old navy one state over (the shops up here don't have the trucks) this morning after reading this post... Missed it by about a week.

They said they were giving the truck away and a guy was coming to pick it up tonight... They said they were going to call him and if he didn't want it, I could come up and grab it, just had to sign an "as is" waiver that didn't hold them liable.

So it seems that this is either coincidence or bad timing, but either way it doesn't sound like a cruel urban legend.... it sounds like this is a legit rumor.

2. montclaire

montclaire

Can you post the number for that particular store and where it's at? Maybe even the name of the person you spoke to? This may help the rest of us in dealing with managers who feel it cannot be done, if they can call another person in the company that has already given one away.

3. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I think they Old Navy should DONATE them to any gearhead that wants to bring them back to life so as not to increase their "carbon footprint".
    Start an Environmentalists type campaign so those things don't end up in the landfill !
    Let's use the Environmentalist angle to our advantage for a change.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Well, I just got back from the Old Navy up here and the manager on the clock didn't know anything about it, but assured me she'd check into it with her GM (I'm hoping she actually does this). From what Preacher said, I might just be lucky enough to snag it. It's a 3100, but appears pretty dang solid compared to a lot of the stuff I've brought home in the past. Keeping my fingers crossed that they'd rather avoid the expense of sending this truck all the way back to Cali ...
    Damn it would be cool to rescue that truck. Every time I've gone in there I've almost wept at the injustice of using an old truck as a display for clearance t-shirts for little girls. It's strange to go in a store and not see one thing for sale that I'm even remotely interested in or able to wear because of my size. Typical that I want the only thing in the store NOT for sale.

5. montclaire

montclaire

Still going on this, looks like you'll have a much easier time getting one from a stand-alone store, or one with a dock. I'm hitting a lot of road blocks because mall-based stores can't remove the trucks without paying a large insurance deposit in the event the flooring is damaged during removal.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

Hmmm ... removal might be a problem. They had to get it in there somewhere, I have a hard time believing they built the store around the truck or brought it in in pieces (maybe 2). I'm going to go try to meet the manager face to face tonight, and while I'm there I'll take a spin around the back to see if there is a full size delivery dock there. If memory serves, this is the case.

7. brown n down

brown n down

just called 4 stores. they have no fucking idea what i was talking about

8. montclaire

montclaire

As has been stated here previously, the frames are split and bolted together to aid in getting the trucks inside the stores. I supose you could unbolt the two halves in the store itself and insert two pieces of wood into the frame ends and carry the thing out like a rickshaw.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

Whatever it takes. If I can get the truck for free or a song like the guy in Vermont, I'll jump through some pretty big hoops.

10. More like a bajillion; what make these so special?

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Finding one here up north that isn't peppered with bullets and rust is damn near unheard of, ESPECIALLY if it can be had for cheap. Besides, like I said before, it would be cool to rescue one of these trucks from the sacrilegious blasphemy of a pop-fad sweat-shop clothesrack. At least, that's my take on it.

12. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

the one near my house is glass, I have no idea why.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

20 dollar jeans, that's how. good grief it's only a clothing store, it's not like it's a dolce and gabbana corporate store or anything.

don't you wear pants?

14. JamesG

JamesG

Same thing here.

15. 54BOMB

54BOMB

An old navy truck is pretty much the last thing I need ,, but ,, I called a store here and I got a girl on the phone that said " shhaa right its like, an old navy staple!" She sounded appaled Id even ask , it was pretty funny.

16. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

One of the local classic truck parts places here in Kansas City, Classic Parts of America (formerly ChevyDuty) purchased several of the Old Navy trucks several months ago. They had two on their shown room floor and others in a warehouse. Don't know how they got ahold of them or if they plan to sell them. If interested you might call them at 1-800-741-1678 and ask if they can give you any idea of how to purchase one in your area. The ones they had on the showroom were basically just shells and not sure how much bondo they had in them but I bet they were a "quick fix" for Old Navy.

17. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

im sure they aqre quick fixes, but id still take one for 2 grand or less.

18. montclaire

montclaire

Went to look at one of my local ones last night, but the manager I was supposed to meet with had to leave early so I couldn't look it over as well as I had wanted to. What I did notice is that they have moved it further back in the store, and the front end seems to be on some sort of dolly or large casters. The body panels are poorly fitted, most likely they used a stock pile of parts from various years. The body is dented, done prior to painting, and it's basically just spray bombed, including the dash. Much rattier than the ones posted from the classic truck site, showing how varied the quality is on these things. The center of the frame is sagging, probably due to the bolt-together design, and probably made worse by the casters in front. Still worth a price of free, but don't plan on making anything other than a parts chaser or a beater out of it, two great ideas, IMO.

19. montclaire

montclaire

There's a link to this with pictures, on the 2nd or 3rd page of the thread...

20. synthsis

synthsis

My update: One of the guys that works for me, his girlfriend works in the ON in our mall. So we stroll down together and she says that yes, they are getting rid of it but the one manager said it's going back to corporate. She thought that the manager was talking out her ass so she's going to see what else she can find out for me. So, in short: yes, it's going away. where, not sure, YET ;)

21. montclaire

montclaire

NJ stores were not helfpul at all. Some had no idea about it (making me think this may be a district-by-district thing) or said the same thing, back to corporate. But, as we have seen here, ON wants nothing to do with them. I also called an ON that has only been open a matter of weeks, and they have a truck, and plan to keep it. I asked one lady f they would be getting rid of their big blue display truck, to which she responded, "the CHEVY? We'd NEVER get rid of the chevy." I just hung up. You woulda thought I pissed on #3 hisself.

22. Deadbird

Deadbird

Some of us are married with teenage daughters.:eek:

23. montclaire

montclaire

Haha, you just reminded me, I was walking into the mall entrace when a Jimmy passed in front of me, father in the front, and two teenage girls in the back seat, and he was LOUDLY stating, "it's SCHOOL, not a FREAKIN FASHION SHOW." I shouted my concurrance.

24. WTF mate? how do you know of such a store and is it for real?

25. I always thought the roofs were too tall....

I have looked at the one in my area. Looks decent. Didnt see any visible bondo work on the outside, but I didnt crawl around/under the thing either. I guess if it is a bondo bucket, they worked it over pretty well. They also moved theirs to the rear of the store.

26. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Next question...
    How can you get one of these out of the store? For memory I can't recall my ON having any type of large garage door. Were they bolted together in the store?
    Of course my local store knew nothing. So I left my name and number. I'm sure it has been filed in file 13 by now. Oh well.

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First what is a dolce and gabana store? and, moreover I only wear pants when the police are called.......:eek:

28. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

29. the deviders between the front doors unbolt to make a wide open double door and they will slide right out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.