Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old National Trail Raceway Photos - never before published

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Royal Lancer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Ya know, as I look at the previous photo, I'm thinking maybe it is not from NTR. Must have gotten mixed in.
    OK, back on topic:
    See the Kronenbitter name on the '55? the son, Pat, now bulids race cars in his shop outside Baltimore, Ohio. (PK Race Cars)

Attached Files:

2. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Here's a few more, dig the shoe-polish graphics on the Galaxie

Attached Files:

3. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

OK, this does it for me until next week, I'll be out of town 'til Monday.
    Hope you guys are enjoying this thread. Like I said, I have a bunch of 'em.

Attached Files:

HellsBells5 likes this.
  4. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Lovin' it. Keep 'em comin. :D

5. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

very cool pictures.

6. Ebert

Ebert

7. John356

John356

The 34 three window in the background was also Clark's. It's still around today,last I knew it was in Zanesville.

8. onedge

onedge

more please...I was at that track alot as kid. thanks.

9. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Alot of familiar cars in those shots.....I think there should be more!

10. WCD

WCD

This is a rare shot of Jack Ditmars car that served to replace his famed Der Mini Brute Opel

11. gassman57

gassman57

Great stuff; remember hanging around there with my cousins during summer vacations as a kid. That bike pic may have been the old 'Charity Newsies' yearly bike event....definately wild!!

12. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Since Mike aka 56 Royal Lancer has started posting some of the same photos I have, we decided to put all of our National Trails photos and storys in one thread. My main focus was to share our collection and hopefully get others to join in with there storys and pictures. I also collect anything from the track so please contact me if you have anything you want to part with. Thanks, Dave McCauley [email protected] Here was my first post in my NTR thread..............

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->

<!-- message -->Anybody else out there who collects National Trail Raceway items? I have original programs, upcoming event sheets, trophy's, home movies and hundreds of vintage photos. Trails was opened in 1964 and I started going there in 1965 and just cant get enough from this dragstrip. National Trails was the home of The Rod Shop and Jegs and was one of the best NHRA Division 3 tracks ever. The NHRA Springnationals came to Trails in 1972 and stayed till 2005 but then it was called the Pontiac Excitement Nationals. If I could I would start a web site for others to share there story's, photos and movies for people like me. I am only interested in the years when Clark Rader owned the track before it was sold to NHRA. If you have any items you want to part with please contact me. My scanner is down right now so I cant share any of my personal photos but I will start this thread with these Willys gasser pictures. Lets keep it HAMB friendly (old) long live the Super Strip!
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

13. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    One more for today...........
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

14. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

From my good friend Mike aka richcraft.spl Mike used to own this car!Thanks for the pic,
    Dave.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Here is a great one for us local guys, Jegs old Austin and our current track announcer Doug Ford standing in the back round. This was from 1967 I believe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Here is one from my local hang out when I was growing up. I lived a few miles from the Rod Shop and went there almost every Saturday morning on my Schwinn Sting Ray to watch the guys getting ready for the race weekends. Most of the times they would do burnouts behind the building so you can imagine what it was like for me as a kid!

Attached Files:

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Another one from the Rod Shop camp. This is Bruce Meihls who worked at the Rod Shop and today has a local engine building shop in Groveport Ohio.

Attached Files:

18. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Great thread! Keep them coming!

19. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Very cool pics.I live in northwest Ohio,I've been there many times.Any pics of the campgrounds across the road in the early days?That would bring back some foggy memories. Giz'

20. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Hey "Grumpy", nice pants!! Whodah thunk?? Kewl pic's

21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I am not sure who owned this 55 at the time of this picture but I think that Pat Kronenbitter did own it at one time. Or one with the same name, the more I think about it there was two 55 Chevys in division three with the same name and I have pictures of both so this could be the wrong one? When I find the other picture I will post it also. Pats older brother is the guy who owned and raced the Bits and Pieces 1960 Chevy. Pat was telling me that his brother was going to a race in Michigan with the 60 Chevy and had a towing accident, he stripped the car and left it at a gas station up there! Pat ownes one of the best chassis shops in the area (PK Racing) where he and his son Andy do all the work. They do all fab work on my current 1941 Willys I am building.

Attached Files:

22. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Last one for today, enjoy.

Attached Files:

23. chris gerber

chris gerber
    from N.E. Ohio

You've got pictures of D3 funny cars that I've never heard of. The guys, including me, at www.classicfunnycarboard.com would love to see the funny car picts. you have.

24. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I know I said I was done for today but the Witchcraft 55 was bugging me. I dug thru some of my tri-five pictures and found what I was looking for. This 55 was owned and parted out (junked) by Pat Kronenbitter. I think he told me he paid 50 bucks for it as a roller!

Attached Files:

25. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Since I was digging in my tri fives..............

Attached Files:

26. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Might as well do another, it was shot at Indy but a NTR local and one of my favorites. I got a thing for clean black cars, sure would like to have this car today!

Attached Files:

27. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

This is my last for the day and my all time favorite car when I was growing up. I bet I have over 100 vintage photos of this one. I was told it was destroyed in a towing accident in Texas but not confirmed. I bet Brandon will chime in on this one. Anybody know for sure?

Attached Files:

28. drag topo.jpg

how else would ya drive a bad ass topolino????i like the little deflector behind the stacks.........

29. brandon

brandon

what , are ya tryin' to lure me out:D still my all time rod shop favorite...though , when it was black and had the nomad tow car...that was the sheee-it:D roell told me it was crashed as well....but.....you never know.:rolleyes:

30. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

Now that Moose & I are both posting pics on this thread, I'll try to make sure I don't "double post" as we have some of the same shots.
    Here are a couple for the Mopar fans...

Attached Files: