Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Old Movie Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Thunder Road.jpeg
    Thunder Road

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

When I was young I remember watching Bonanza with my family. It was always brought to you by Chevrolet and Dina Shore always sang the Chevy theme song. It was best during the month of September, because back then, that's when the new models came out. Being young it was always exciting to see the new models, especially the new model Corvettes.

3. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember seeing early episodes of My Three Sons, where there were several Chevrolet makes motoring along during the ending credits. There was also an episode where Chip Douglas was learning to drive in a Bonneville convertible, and they had a 1967 Bonneville wagon in another episode.

X-2, chryslerfan55 and Jack Wagon like this.
  4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Pretty sure Chevy was the sponsor, they always had a new vette. Eventually they drove a Stingray.

X-2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. dwollam

dwollam

Actually the Corvette changed years in the 2nd episode! As I continue to watch these I see several boo boos. Like the Corvair 4dr the crop dusters estranged wife drives suddenly changes into a coupe!

Then in another episode Tod supposedly sells off the wire wheels and got stock wheels and full wheel covers.

Then there was the wild custom Corvette with the bubble top in the episode where the rich boat builder gets killed and his daughter has the wild Corvette.

Guest stars reappear as different people several times too.

Dave

X-2, Jack Wagon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. The Topper 37 Buick "Movie Car" a real beauty by Bowman and Schwartz.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    dana barlow, Spooky, X-2 and 7 others like this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^
    I drove that Topper car around the Big O in Ontario, Ca race track back in the 70's. Still have the program for the race. Janet Guthrie was in that one. If you folks remember Cal Worthington.....well he had his dog spot (a real tiger) with him on the boot of the convertible he was in. He was soaked with tiger slobber at the end of the parade around the track.
    That was a blast.

8. Glen Hooker's Merc was in an old hotrod movie " A Strange Adventure". By Valley Custom Shop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Freddy Rowe's Merc

[​IMG]
    Jim Mc Neal's Hirohata Merc was in Running Wild also. Both by Barris.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  10. Tommy Ivo's T roadster was in several films
    [​IMG]

dana barlow, gnichols, Spooky and 6 others like this.
  11. I always look for cars like the ones I own. If I lived in California, I'd probably be looking for my actual car

X-2 and Jack Wagon like this.
  12. Bob Hirohata's Merc was also in Running Wild,

Mick

dana barlow, Spooky, X-2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Ricky Nelsons roadster from TV show as restored in modern times..
    [​IMG]

dana barlow, Spooky, X-2 and 6 others like this.
  14. And Norm Grabowski's T also in several movies.
    [​IMG]

dana barlow, X-2, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Thunder Road
    I wonder why they ran a 6 cyl sound track for that Ford. Those big 57 Ford engines had such a badass sound...

[​IMG]

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I’ve noticed in the 30s-40s movies the driver usually gets into the car from the passenger side then slides across the seat to get behind the wheel.

X-2, Jack Wagon and MO54Frank like this.
  17. williebill

williebill

Leave it to Beaver.... I get a kick out of the intro scene done to showcase this years Mopar as the Beaver and Wally walk down the street. Plus the family drove Mopars, except, I believe, Ford had the car deal in the first year.. Ford got a lot of TV exposure in the early/mid 60s.. Always liked Route 66 when the parking lots would only have current year Chevys.. Saw that a time or two. But the bad guy would drive something like piece of shit F100..
    I think all HAMBers watch old TV the same way....

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

6E4755AE-D97D-4F25-8A68-2C0AAC66B8A5.jpeg 5AC6795B-20B1-4282-8906-813DD44B1B02.jpeg Not a movie but a TV. Twilight zone 3rd Planet From The Sun

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  19. Streets weren't that wide and drivers were busy just trying to control those ill handling machines. You opened the drivers door two things usually happened:
    1. Your door got ripped off.
    2. You suffered serious injury or death.

Entering a car from the sidewalk side was just self-preservation.

20. Driver50x

Driver50x

I think that’s exactly why Model T’s did not have a drivers side door.

Spooky, X-2, Jack Wagon and 1 other person like this.
  21. williebill

williebill

My 39 Ford Deluxe has the outside door lock on the passenger door only. Can't unlock the drivers door from outside.

X-2, hemihotrod66 and Special Ed like this.
  22. Barris built 2 chopped 47 Chevys for "Highschool Confidential" in primer in the film and all restored and painted below.
    [​IMG]

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ez way to get hit on the street side. My 49 Chevrolet pickup locked on the driver side by pushing the handle forward and sliding over to the passenger side to get out and lock the door. The only side with a key...

24. A bunch of old rods and customs in this movie "The Cool Hotrod"

dana barlow, Spooky, X-2 and 3 others like this.
  25. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Not to be too picky, but Joe Pesci’s line mentioned “timing chain” not timing gears.

X-2 likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Jnaki

So, in re-phrasing Joe Pesci's line of: ...“ timing gears are gone cause this vacuum line is disconnected" was true in a sense. The timing was off on the Impala, due to the vacuum tube falling off on my 348 motor. It left me almost powerless. The guy with the 56 Chevy 301 was not in the mood to do a re-race saying something on his car broke. Everyone knew that with the two extra carbs on my 348, he had no chance at winning. So goes the teenage trials and tribulation from the episodes of 1962.

Hello,

We all see what we want to see, but it was the best example of a vacuum line being disconnected. Timing chain/timing gears are all interconnected are they not? The timing of the power curve in the 348 motor was off by a big time bunch. No extra power from the outside two carburetors, which normally would come on and stay on for the whole quarter mile run. By then, the 56 Chevy would have seen my 6 red taillights bright and clear as I would have been so far ahead of him.
    upload_2020-11-16_16-18-17.png

Jnaki

So, in RE-PHRASING... Joe Pesci's line of: ...“ timing gears are gone cause this vacuum line is disconnected" was true in a sense. The timing was off on the Impala, due to the vacuum tube falling off on my 348 motor. It left me almost powerless. The guy with the 56 Chevy 301 was not in the mood to do a re-race saying something on his car broke. Everyone knew that with the two extra carbs on my 348, he had no chance at winning. So goes the teenage trials and tribulation from the episodes of 1962.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Most men and women wore hats until the mid '60s. Women also wore gloves

Spooky, X-2 and MO54Frank like this.
  28. toml24

toml24

That's because the good guy had a gun pointed at him and the bad guy had the gun, and would say words to the effect of "Let's take a drive to the docks, you do the driving, and don't forget there is a gun pointed at you".

X-2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin '

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

My '39 Willys has the passenger door only lock thing to. I've explained that a lot to passengers, as we approach the locked car, I unlock their door, open it and tell them to "please reach over and unlock my door" when they get in. It always concerned me a bit to think what I'd do if that sole lock failed in the locked position! I made sure I can get in through the trunk by pushing the rear seat forward.

X-2, Jack Wagon and chryslerfan55 like this.