Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Old Movie Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmy six, Nov 5, 2020.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watch a lot of TCM and tonight is Vertigo. Watching it brings me back when all those cars were new. Can’t say I like the colors of Jimmy Stewart’s Desoto Sportsman but it’s growing on me..

X-2, Jack Wagon, Joe Travers and 4 others like this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Tonight's episode of Adam 12, was about getting street racers off of the streets. Reed and Malloy helped
    to establish a drag strip with safety inspections and safety rules. Dick Clark, was the person who had to decide if it happened or not.
    Same as the movie, "HOT ROD"...

SS327, X-2, Jack Wagon and 9 others like this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

I just starting watching Route 66 from episode 1. Noticed that the Corvette his Dad left him changed years by the 3rd episode. Not being a big fan of Vettes, what were the years of the 2 different cars? Also noticed both had wire wheels. Option on the early Vettes?

Dave

X-2, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'30's - '50s TCM movies are fun to watch with the sound off and your favorite tunes on the ol'
    stereo. Quite often you'll spot a shaved '40 Ford convert or a fenderless Model A in the background traffic footage.

LOU WELLS, X-2, Joe Travers and 7 others like this.
  6. Back in the 90s the car club I was in got invited to participate in a B class movie being shot in a drive in in the city of Richmond. The period was late 50s. A few of our cars were selected to be staged for background. I guess we would up on the cutting room floor after spending hours for "takes" for a 5 second final film shot.

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-7_4-30-40.png
    Hey J6,

That was a standard color of the 50s. White cars back then were just a little blah. But, those big cars were for families or dad’s daily drivers. Even with the big motor and horsepower, it was a dad's car. If a car was painted white, it was usually some form of a Chevy or Ford. Those were the most popular in our area.

Speaking of a “whitish” color…
    upload_2020-11-7_4-32-26.png 1960 Studebaker Hawk... right hand drive

My wife and I are mystery fanatics, when it comes to watching a movie or TV streaming series. The USA network shows somehow cater to a different clientele with the dumb laugh track comedies, so the mysteries and law shows give a different take on what is good on TV. With the advent of streaming channels without commercials, these shows are a good stories to watch. They are almost as good as an excellent mystery book. Sometimes, the famous mystery author or two has created an excellent mystery series or movie to watch.

The latest movie and series combined we happened to be watching, comes from Australian TV. It is the “Jack Irish Mystery Series.” First, there were three, full length movies to watch before starting the multi-year series. They are commercial free, so it is distinct and gets right to the point, with no time wasted between the action or drama.
    upload_2020-11-7_4-33-34.png

Jnaki

What seems like a misplaced car for the series is a right hand drive 1960 Studebaker Hawk. It is nothing fancy, but because they drive on the right side of the roads, the steering is on the right side. So, it is strange to see the driver get in on the right. There are other cars, but because the star is a simple guy with simple tastes, a cool side job as a woodworker and a sometimes lawyer, the show moves right along.

In one episode, one of his good friends owns a car that we drool over, as a previous two El Camino owner couple. (125k and 88k miles on each before they were sold.) The car/truck is/was a 2004 Holden Ute or for us mainlanders, an Australian GM El Camino. Holden has always made its own mark on high performance cars. (2004 Holden El Camino 335 HP V8)

But this Ute will never see the USA shores. Besides, the Holden brand was closed several years ago. GM still has a presence, but the cool El Camino/Ute is out of reach.

8. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

"HEARTS IN ATLANTIS"? If so, I was part of that at Ft. Story near Va. Beach. It was the part with the carnival and it was like being back in time. I took my '50 Ford and my buddy's '50 Mercury. I also got paid as an extra but wasn't used. When I went to wardrobe, I was told all I needed was a trim, which they did. We (myself and other car guys) were told to eat where the actors ate, not the box meals that the extras got. We could get snacks off the food trucks at any time, but the meals were done by caterers from California. Only 2 or 3 cars (neither of mine) were actually in the movie. It was a fun experience learning what goes on when making a movie. Two weeks and a lot of money spent for less than 10 minutes actually in the movie. I got paid as an extra and for 2 cars, don't remember how much but it was worth it. Ron

X-2, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  9. About white cars--my father worked at Ford's Atlanta assembly plant at Hapeville GA from 1952-82, For years, Ford had a "white sale" at the end of every model year to use up sheet metal that was culled because of being wavy or having other imperfections. White paint covered a multitude of sins.

I love to watch movies that are set at a particular time in the past to watch for anachronisms like cars that are one or two model years too new for the time the movie is set, like a '50 Plymouth in a scene that is supposed to be in 1948. Drives my wife crazy.

Spooky, X-2, Jack Wagon and 5 others like this.
  10. 1ton

1ton

My dad once said to me that it seemed that all the vehicles that I bought must have been used in a commercial at one time. Like the truck climbing a pile of cinder blocks with another truck on its back.

Spooky, X-2, Jack Wagon and 3 others like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Ever watch The Three Stooges? Lots of their episodes have new vehicles in them, 30's and 40's new! METV runs them every Sat night, get to see a lot of cars in action when they were new and common.

X-2, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  12. Spooky, X-2, Speed Gems and 3 others like this.
  13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X-2, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they filmed a couple of episodes in st. louis, and i believe cast and crew hung out at gaslight square. the story is that maharis partied a little too hard and wrecked the '62 they'd been using, so a '63 was purchased from a local dealer.

15. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Was watching The Untouchables with Cosner last evening. The model A one guy hid under has chrome wishbones on the front end. Those guys were cool back then even.:oops:

SS327, X-2, dan c and 6 others like this.
  16. On Emergency they had what looked like (only saw small parts of it) a American Graffiti Milner clone car. The tire blew up in the shop as they were mounting it.

I've been watching old movies/tv shows in reruns since I was a kid. I love looking at the cars, people, locations and gas prices....totally beats any "retro" show, some things you can't fake.

X-2, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  17. dwollam

dwollam

After reviewing again I think the first car was a 1960 and it was the second episode they switched to a 1961. Season one was 1960-61. Also noticed the vast majority of cars and trucks in the show were Chevrolets.

Also found it interesting that from the start of the series it was many episodes before they were near Route 66 or mention it. I would of thought they would have started the show on 66.

I always thought the show was more about cars and 66 instead of them finding trouble and solving the issues. Funny how memories can be. Reminds me a lot of the plots in the original "The Fugitive".

Dave

18. I love old movies and movies set in old times mostly for the cars etc.

but what always gets me is when there is a brake down or something and the guys talk total b.s

last movie was the Irishman when joe peschi tells deniros character that his “ timing gears are gone cause this vacuum line is disconnected “

wtf :confused: Mash had doctors on staff to make sure what they spoke about surgically and medically was fact and true.
    You would think a movie with a big budget could have some one who knows something about cars on staff !!! Just a stupid thing that bugs me .

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hey V,

Actually, the statement was correct as it can happen, the wording could have been used in a different way. In 1962, my 58 Impala was pretty fast for a 3 carb 348 motor with a Racer Brown Solid Lifter Cam and Kit. I also had a C&O Stick Hydro installed and with the 4:56 rear Positraction gears, it never lost on the starting line take offs.

But, the 3 carbs are/were connected with a vacuum line. After the initial power surge at the starting line, the motor was still going, but seemed to level off and not have that extra surge the Racer Brown Cam is noted for back then. The opponent was a 56 Chevy Bel Air with a 301 motor and we stayed even all through the 1/4 mile marker. I knew something was wrong with the 348. It should have easily pulled away and won by a landslide. He should have seen my 6 red taillights.
    upload_2020-11-8_16-54-57.png
    I pulled over and instantly knew what it was. The vacuum hose had fallen off of the center carb and so the outer two carbs did not work. They just sat there, patiently waiting. The moment I put it back on and tested the throttle, those carbs came alive. Now, it was back to the drive-in restaurant parking lot for a re-run at the Cherry Avenue Drags. I had taped the vacuum tube onto the pipe until I could do something more permanent, later.

Jnaki

So, in re-phrasing Joe Pesci's line of: ...“ timing gears are gone cause this vacuum line is disconnected" was true in a sense. The timing was off on the Impala, due to the vacuum tube falling off on my 348 motor. It left me almost powerless. The guy with the 56 Chevy 301 was not in the mood to do a re-race saying something on his car broke. Everyone knew that with the two extra carbs on my 348, he had no chance at winning. So goes the teenage trials and tribulation from the episodes of 1962.

20. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I also like TCM 30s and 40s movies. Seema like anyone who lives in the country has a Ford woody wagon. Like the Packard roadsters.

X-2 likes this.
  21. Don't mention the Fugitive....we were on the road camping with a Sears pop up trailer the night of the final episode - we locked up a wheel bearing on the trailer and missed the final show broke down.....my dad never said nothing.....just cussed Sears but he didn't check those wheel bearings I'm sure....years later the future brother in law( that didn't happen) had the same thing happen to his Buick 225 that he talked the family into driving across the states....I was driving when I felt - heard the noise and pulled over....lucky to catch a truck driver into the next town.

X-2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One not auto related was in the 30-40’s every guy wore a hat....felt fedoras were the most popular. My father wore a gray one every day. I recently found one made by Stetson and wear it with pride...

X-2, chryslerfan55, Blues4U and 3 others like this.

23. I had to go a wedding for a cousin 15 or so years ago and it was outside (the sun and I don’t like each other). I figured if I have to get a hat it should be a nice one, I found a 50’s Stetson, in the box and it's brown (just like the old detective shows).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    X-2, chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  24. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When I was a kid I never missed Route 66 on Friday night, I even missed a school roller skating outing one time when I was in 6th grade to stay home to watch it. It was all about the Corvette for me, I built every Corvette model I could get my hands on at the time. I think I have watched every old episode there is and some times I watch one I have seen before another time or two. Those were the days of good TV shows, or maybe I am just getting old and looking back is a hell of a lot better than seeing what's ahead:rolleyes:

25. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-vehicles.1030314/page-11#post-13404631
    upload_2020-11-9_5-14-35.png
    Hello,

We are well accustomed to seeing a Dobbs Fedora Hat in our house from those old days after moving to Long Beach in 1946. Our dad was a good dresser and the hat was just part of his daily attire. Of course, that generation was influenced by many TV actors and celebrities, as TV just started and movies gave everyone a dream sequence to add to our daily lives.
    upload_2020-11-9_5-15-26.png Bob Goggle film, screen capture 1960.
    “Here is a photo of my dad (lower right) wearing one of his many Dobbs hats so popular with his generation. We told our dad that an airplane motor powered race car was coming to Lions Dragstrip. So, he had to see that. Plus, he bought us all lunch of hot dogs and Cokes. He liked all sorts of drag racing and supported us in our excitement. He also loaned us his movie camera to record all of the events during the 1958-60 seasons.”
    Edit from Bob Goggle film

Our dad lived in the era of men wearing hats as a daily thing. It gave them “credibility” of sorts. But, he knew when to wear them. When he had to go to a high school function for the two teenagers, he was in the group of men without hats…No, not the rock group from Canada.

The odd thing was, we introduced him to Corvettes. Since, he also liked the TV show, Route 66 with the two guys driving a cool Corvette across the USA. Our thought was that he would buy one and then get tired of sitting in a tiny car, so he would then give it to one of the sons. That would have been my brother, but that was ok, since I would definitely get the black 58 Impala. Yahoo…

Jnaki

As it turned out, within a year or so, I did get the 58 Impala, as things for the two brothers turned in a different direction and life moved on to the next step.

The original Dobbs Fedora Hat? It is in our closet, having been used by our granddaughter as a dress up prop for her toddler days. It is a classic hat.

26. I did this same thread, about 10yrs ago. "Any of you guys watch old movies, just for the cars?". haha It's in here somewhere...I was just thinking about it, cause i've been watching that Netflix movie about the girl chess player. Lots of cool cars and scenery.

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cars-in-old-movies.473785/

X-2 and dana barlow like this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shamed me into it. A Stetson is: 1. On your head, 2. In its box, 3. Being tipped for a lady...... It’s a pride of owner thing. 78C32622-D072-48D0-BC28-BA7703972687.jpeg

Spooky, X-2, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  29. Last year, I watched nearly all the Adam-12 episodes on some retro channel, here in Seattle. I loved the show as a grade-schooler when it originally aired and always wanted to rewatch the show in it's entirety. Like others it was a hoot to scan the streets as they drove down them seeing all the cars in their original settings & conditions. Not a complaint, but more of an observation... they had some stock footages they would recycle numerous times across different episodes showing them arriving to a call; on their way to a call; general patrol; or sometimes a pursuit. Also, I remember seeing some non-patrol cars that appeared in more than one episode to 'enact' certain scenarios. Can't remember where I learned it, but some of those cars were actually cars owned by TV show staff/crew, and not necessarily owned/leased by the production company or TV show. The same can be said of some of the actors that (re)appeared in the show in different roles. Sometimes they would be the innocent citizen/victim, other times the bad-guy/gal.

30. [​IMG]

40ragtopdown shared this pic in another thread, but I believe that's Fatty Arbuckle in the Bantam, and I'm wondering if the same car was used in a W.C.Fields movie?