Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Motor Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldColt, Aug 25, 2014.

1. OldColt

OldColt

Does engine oil have a "Fresh Date" ? I found a hidden unused case of Castrol GTX 10w-40 motor oil under some boxes when doing a cleanup. It has to be at least 10 years old, maybe more. Wondering if oil goes bad over time. Never heard anyone say.

--- Steve ---

2. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

There are some other threads on subject, but here's Valvoline answer
    1. Does motor oil expire? How long does motor oil generally last?

Valvoline motor oil does not have a documented expiration date. Under optimal conditions, the product is stable for an extended period of time and can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your owner's manual. If the rating is still current, shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.
      http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/general-motor-oil/
    The stuff is pretty old to start with.

castirondude and loudbang like this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

I'd think it would be ok to use in an engine 10 years old or older. If it's sealed and stored in dry conditions it should last indefinitely. Plus it may have a higher level of ZDDP for older flat tappet engines.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

George and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. i would use it.

5. We used to have to inspect our stocks when the shelf life date came due. For preservatives, oils and lubricants the only criteria for disposal was the packaging it's self.

6. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I wouldn't hesitate to use it....the crude oil it was refined from was probably a million years old before the refinery got it!!!

loudbang likes this.
  7. I assme oil is not prone to condensation inside the can as a fuel tank might be???

8. fasttime

fasttime

OK.... I am going to be an ass here. What is old in this world? 1995 motor oil? 1992 World Class trans? Was just told an 80's injection was so old.......My old wore out shit will last dam near forever on this new oil shit.........It was shot when I got it, so run it till it dies.
    Smoke is the new f u air guality bored (sp).

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

No, don't let it hurt your engine : send it to me & I will use,err.dispose of it properly by letting it leak out of the worn seals on my daily driver until it's gone!! LOL !! Actually that 10 yr old oil is probably better for the old engines than that new crap without the zinc additives.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Yesterday I did some work on my wife's OT car, it takes modern mopar ATF +4. I had a few bottles left from the last time I serviced the trans. I noticed some faint printing on the bottles..."use before (some date) 2011".

strange. I guess some of it does have a shelf life.

Yes, I used it anyways.

11. prpmmp

prpmmp

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think it gets arthritis! ;-)

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ryan...Tommy's off his meds again!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. George

George

I like to hit yard/estate sales looking for pre-SM oil that has zinc in it. SH & SF for instance...

15. That oil is way more then 10 years old, its made from rotting dinosaurs.

If the cans or bottles are sealed up and not full of water of other contaminants the oil is probably fine.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Local walmart has SF oil, brand new.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

That would make it 65 million years old by most estimates.

18. ^Word^

19. squirrel

squirrel

The additives are what you have to worry about.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

65,000,010. It was 65,000,000 ten years ago.

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just bought and sold 240 quarts that were sitting in a warehouse for the past 23 years.
    Everybody that bought some are "car guys" and not one questioned the age.

22. greg

greg

If its the old cans, and not the plastic bottles, it will probably be worth more for the "antique" value. But im a sucker for old stuff!!

23. OldColt

OldColt

Thanks for all the quick answers guys. The oil is in sealed soft plastic quart bottles, so I'm not worried about condensation. The Bob the Oil Guy link says oil gets waxy when it has been cold, and the oil has been in a cold unheated basement for all these years.
    Hmmmm ... don't want to throw it away. Think I'll just use one quart at a time for top offs between full oil changes.

--- Steve ---

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

A basement isn't cold. Most stay above freezing unless it below zero for a few days running.

25. George

George

"Accel" brand 10W-40, elsewhere it's SM

26. indyjps

indyjps

I agree with RMK57, if it's 10 year old oil, be sure to use it an engine at least 10 years old. You'll be fine, the additives are better than what you get now.

27. castirondude

castirondude

This is true. The oil stays good but the containers can fail leak it all over the place.. I have a big filing cabinet full of fluids and spray cans. I've had numerous times in the shop that I went to reach for a bottle and found a giant sticky mess. It can actually be kind of difficult to find which one is leaking since they are all dirty. Usually they suck flat.

In fact just the other day I saw a flat coolant bottle..

28. George

George

Not exactly! If it doesn't have a roller cam it needs zinc, if it has a roller cam it doesn't.