Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Moon Tank vs New - what are the differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jul 18, 2020.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

There's a vintage Moon fuel tank I have had my eye on for my coupe. It's old and kind-of rough. I don't mind that, so much, however I could get a brand new one (from Moon) for a couple bucks more and it looks dang-near identical.

That got me thinking.

What's different?

Tags appear the same. Dimensions and outward appearance seems the same.

I don't actually mind buying new if it's the same item produced all these years later.

Screenshot_20200717-172212_eBay.jpg

MP6-2.jpg

Thor1, jnaki, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

They are spun the same way using the same tooling so they are exactly the same so I would not pay a "kings ransom" for an old beat-up one. Bill Jenks really had pretty welds because he welded 1000's of them, when he passed away they got a new guy and they are "almost" as pretty as Bills

Hollywood-East, Thor1, jnaki and 6 others like this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

@dreracecar, thanks so much, man! I appreciate it.

4. The newer ones have one piece brackets that slide onto the ends of the tank. The early brackets used springs and tubing to hold the tank, looked much better in my opinion,

Mick

Country Joe, Thor1, loudbang and 2 others like this.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've had my eyes out for a set of brackets with springs. The tanks, however, had me vexxed.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think the newer tanks have a spin on cap, the old ones all seem to have a flip cap, either welded or threaded on to a larger opening.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Thor1, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

For awhile, the flip-top caps were not available and some racing assoc. did not allow them (would pop open in a crash) and mandated a screw-on cap. For restorations purposes, sometimes we would find an old beat-up tank just for the flip-top cap to install on a new tank. Now MQQN sells a new flip-top cap for these tanks for an additional $140. Its close to the originals, but dont go running off to Pebble Beach Concours with it

Thor1, jnaki, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  8. If we're getting picky here, the early tanks had different tags, the real early ones had an extra small tag with the Moon roadster logo. If I remember correct the early tank filler necks were threaded on the inside and the newer ones threaded on the outside, so early caps won't interchange with newer ones.

Mick

Thor1, -Brent-, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  9. Magfiend

Magfiend

I have a cool old Moon "T" tank - standard round tank with a bullet tank welded downward. Also has a Moon breather. It's DEFINITELY old, but has one piece brackets - must have been added later...
    IMG_2004.JPG IMG_2029.JPG

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Deuces and -Brent- like this.
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Flip caps Pre band screw cap post band .
    NHRA Rules around 1960.
    Tanks made same way, (moon) welds different 0n older ones then newer ones .
    Spring Mounting brackets look much better than the one piece for in front mount of motor . Dragster ,Altered funnies ,gasser

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  11. I have old Eelco stuff, had some Moon but bought a cheap Speedway tank for a project, added new style Eelco brackets with some homemade covered springs.
    I don't think it looks to bad, I was going to get a sticker made up to look like a Eelco/Moon but say Buffoon instead just to see who would even notice. Lol

20190902_022548.png

catdad49, Deuces, Just Gary and 7 others like this.
  12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The welds are different because Bill Jenks past away a some years ago, He welded all the tanks that came out of MQQN and got quite good at it. The new guy just needs about 10 more years to get that good

-Brent-, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

Are Moons parts made in the USA or Japan, (or even China) ?? That would make a huge difference for me. So call me racist, I'm sure the current generations and media will/would, and I couldn't give a shit less.

14. KFC

KFC
    from UK

15. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

USA still made by hand in California

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Early pre-band Tank ,knob and try spoke pump"Moon",
    Tank Eelco
    D675F193-4F27-4FB3-A3B2-A8515419FEF6.png
    EF5E400D-B5F1-4C79-B33C-ECBF89662A6A.jpeg

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We all have extra money stashed away for a rainy day purchase or repair. This question has only one answer. Buy the new factory “Moon Equipment” brand tank. Now you know they test all tanks and it has not been around for the last 50 years doing who know what… SAFETY…

The old tank may have history, but not at your expense and own safety. It may last another 20 years, but why take the chance? Your new one will last as long as your build.

Jnaki

Our new/old Moon Tank with a pressure pump was beautiful when we installed it in our Willys Coupe for C/Gas class competition. It came straight from the Moon Equipment showroom floor inventory. It was inside, well protected, and looked fabulous. No leaks, no smells, just one cool spun aluminum and fabulous welds.

In one poof, it was gone as we all know aluminum melts. So, a new one will not have any leaks or problems with worn threads or misalignment caps screwed on in a flash. Flip tops are cool, but screw in caps provide added safety. YRMV

-Brent- likes this.
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought an old Eelco tank at a local swap meet 4-5 years ago, simply because it was in good shape, and cheap. Built 3 cars since then, and tried to use it on all three, but just didn't seem to fit my builds, even though they were all period gassers. So it still sits unused on my storage shed.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^^
    Nothing is Safe in Life !!!
    Knowledge and Awareness being as careful as you can Makes your Self
    Feel Safer , But still No Guarantee.
    Think about this , Most of us Drive sit or ride with a person in a modern Vehicle 2000 and Newer but not limited to just 2000,
    Think about this , after Refueling the vehicle
    Ignition is turned "On"" the electrical surge that is generated threw entire vehicle, Fumes did not ignite,
    Was not your #= (Number ) that Day !!!
    There are New vehicles that don't even have a gas cap at all now being produced , I'm not talking about electric car!!!

Not Hard to pressure test a Old or New tank for a leak . You're only going to pressure test a tank less than 10 psi .

Most of you do know the purpose of the Hand pump & why.

loudbang likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

These things have become part of the bubble of trendy BS a lot now. In real life long ago, Moon tanks were used on drag cars at the race track for race fuel*,some times left in place on the way home. Mostly removed ASAP if same car was driven on the streets all week,the tank blocks air flow for cooling an looked werid out front, too run when there was no reason. These days I see them used as a BS, added decoration, that kind of shows most of the time the car with it ,has a owner that likely dose not know much about the tanks,but saw it in a photo=It mush be a hot rod thing!{ fell in love} To do it.
    Stop the BS, $ is better used on real stuff. There are places they belong on race cars,but none should be daily street drivers. It just looks fake to those that know.
    Ya,I know that may pop a bubble,but your even smarter now too!. Happy hot rodden in anycase!
    I think they sell more tanks now than ever to mostly those that want fake decoration.

Have fun. If your building a hot rod,I love ya anyway.
    The trendy bubble of BS also has big factory headlights, flats as a finish,or even bearmetal, as things ! But were not!. Enjoy,but try not to copy trendy newer stuff.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    belair, loudbang and The Shift Wizard like this.
  21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

^^^^^
    I agree with most what Dana Barlow said above , The one I have If I keep
    ( For sale ) I would rather it go to sling or a HotRod race car that being restored.
    Then on my New ride that I am putting together that Looks like a 60s 5w drag car , I would hate / disappoint it a real early Vintage part was destroyed in a accident being driven frequently Not just on a Saturday night. If I install the Vintage one I have it clear anodized on the inside to be used to hold Alky /Methanol for the combo Im running for injection purpose. I have No problem using a $100 speedway tank ,cheap looking ,
    ( would stick out like a sore thumb)
    But I have a real vintage part almost perfect that was used in the Golden years. My cars to me not just a Hot Rod driving around , when Im out I might be going to a store or a car hang out ,
    Always set up to challenged .
    Where Im from ,live & Family 100 plus year , after WW2 Hot Rod is & was a car you Track raced & street . Driven daily , In 1948 small town Manassa Va Family and friends running their cars on a farm for fun at a get together ,Then Old Dominion speedway was established and Open 1951 First dragstrip on the East Coast,
    & almost my entire Family was less then 2 miles away , Almost all male guys worked & raced there from 1951 to closing 2013 ,
    This is My mind set & why I drive a Race Hot Rod ,

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    loudbang, dana barlow and greener200 like this.
  22. greener200

greener200

loudbang likes this.
  23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Based on this thinking, we'd stop chroming parts. What the heck does chrome do to make the car better, safer, or more realistic? It's just for show isn't it? Why not paint all those chrome pieces?
    And why letter a car you're building today as a tribute car? If it's not an original, then you're just wasting time and money making a faux tribute car?
    I thought this hobby was supposed to be about having fun building our cars? And if I build a car today to replicate one I owned in the 60's, or saw in the 60's, I'll put what makes me happy on it. If I put a Moon tank on it, and didn't want it full of gas up front for safety reasons, then it's just going to be there to replicate what I'm trying to copy. Some of you guys take this hobby way too serious.

46Chief, loudbang and swade41 like this.
  24. Always good to come on the HAMB and find out I don't know anything about the parts on my car, give me a freaking break.
    Just because one guy in his own little neck of the woods didn't like the way something was done doesn't mean it was the rule for the whole damn country. Guess what, I don't like that guy's haircut, when I was growing up those hairstyles ment the person drove a foreign car with 3 wheels. That's how idiotic some of this stuff sounds....

loudbang likes this.
  25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I bought a car.... For this Damn tank..
    Fireman retired tournament car...
    Has the Neat roadster logo mentioned above... KIMG8864.JPG

swade41, lurker mick and loudbang like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those, would like to use it but not sure it's big enough.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Do not under stand your post .
    Except "" Neat roadster logo ""

28. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Ya I could see that, Around here western NY, fireman (volunteer mostly) have what they call firematic competitions, an build several different class trucks, there's a hot rod one... Hence

swade41 likes this.