Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Model A Sealed Beam Conversion Info Needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Can any one identify these sealed beam conversion's on my 1931 Model A, Thanks HAMB! 315.jpg

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Darn......I was hoping this was a tutorial on converting Model A headlights to modern 12V bulbs. I figure there are tips and tricks to avoid disappointment.

I hope someone has answers to your question though, Hot Rod Willys.

Lynn

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

those are common unknown brand aftermarket stuff seen on lots of model A's. i always thought they were too ugly to have on my car, however there is a lot to be said about sealed beams over the original light if you drive at night very often. i do drive at night, and i do like to see, so the better option these days is the sealed beam conversion that puts the bulb inside, under the original lens. if you know its there, you can tell, but most folks will be fooled. available at brattons ford parts. those, and a fun projects voltage regulator and you can drive at night all you wish

deadbeat likes this.
  4. This sounds like a great idea but falls apart when the original lens tries to focus the beam and all you get is a lot of unfocused light flooding everywhere.

Charlie Stephens

deadbeat likes this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

charlie, there is some truth to that for sure. all i can say is, my 31 coupe with the sealed beams is much better to drive at night than my 31 roadster that is stock. the light seems to travel further. is it focused correctly? probably not, but it seems to work good. they do take more power to run, thats why the voltage regulator is a good thing as opposed to moving the third brush

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The conversions are from one of the dozens of aftermarket parts suppliers in business during the '30s to the '60s. Every store selling auto parts stocked them, plus gas stations, Wards, Sears, the local hardware store, and by mail order catalog. Lion, Warshawsky, & Champ were some of the larger firms. J.C. Whitney still cataloged them into the '60s ...

rusty valley likes this.
  7. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Whats the chance of finding a trim ring like this 20190315_202915.jpg ?

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

9. Which one are you looking for, the Model A stainless or the aftermarket one that holds the bulb?

Charlie Stephens

10. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The dented stainless outer trim ring is what I'm looking for.