Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Mason Dixon or 75 80 pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Div1Racer, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Great stuff guys. Love the old photos and stories.

2. DYNO360

DYNO360

I know this is not from the very old days, but it was about 24 years ago. One of the best races ever held at Mason-Dixon (in my opinion) was a match race between Charlie Carpenter and his world's fastest '55 Chevy and Norm Wisner and his "Jukebox Ford". Wisner beat Carpenter with a 206 mph pass and Carpenter was over 200 mph too! As far as I know it was the fastest run for door cars at that track. Jukebox.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. DYNO360

DYNO360

Here's a couple more. I found a '62 BelAir hardtop (327, glide) in a barn. Actually it was in a metal building on a farm (kinda close to a barn), but all four wheels were frozen (you can see the tow strap, as I had to drag the car out of the barn. fun getting it on the trailer too)
    Well I painted and fixed it up and ran it a Mason-Dixon and 75-80. Eventually, I found a '62 QB engine and a 4 speed and put those in the BelAir. Loved that car. That's Jake Leonard (blue shorts) who worked for decades as the 75-80 starter in the Monrovia picture.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and enloe like this.
  4. 41hemi

41hemi

Here's a picture Of my 41 Chevy from 1974 when I raced it at 75-80 Dragaway. 283 4 speed 3:55 open 57 rear. Had fenderwell headers and a single 4 barrel. Turned a 15 something. I've had the car 43 years. Sure wish 75-80 was still open!

Attached Files:

5. Great pics and stories guys. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences !

6. DYNO360

DYNO360

There has to be a mistake in this photo. Here we have a real running "B" gasser and not a straight axle in sight. :rolleyes:
    Not all "real gassers" had staight axles. Just look at all the '55 and '57 Chevy gassers.

7. noboD

noboD

OK, I have a question. As a 16 year old, almost 50 years ago, I used to go to a drag strip in Md. that ran parellel to an interstate. As I envision it the track was on the north side of the hiway, maybe a hill behind the track. I remember talking to a guy with a Chevy six in a dragster, it ran pretty good. My sister lived around DC. and when we visited I would take my parents car and go watch. This would have been in about '67 or '68. What track was it? It's bugged me for years not knowing.

8. DYNO360

DYNO360

75-80 Dragway does run parallel to I 70 (Old US 40 before that), but it is several miles away. Also, it is on the north side of Maryland route 80, and there is a hill after the finish line (some newcomers thought the shut down area was too short, but after making a run they found out that at the top of the hill the shut down area continued on level ground). That is probably the track you're thinking of.