Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldd1963, Apr 29, 2010.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Hope this isn't too OT.

I have several hundred car magazines from the 60's - present. I just moved over half the collection and have decided it's time to start cutting the collection down to size.

I have a decent collection of Car & Driver, MotorTrend, Hot Rod & Car Craft dating from the late 70's. Quite a few auto service trade publications from the 60's. Also, Automobile magazine from the 80's - 2000's.

I have no idea what they are worth.

Can any of you offer suggestions on how to price them and get rid of them. I don't have the time to attend swap meets as a vendor. eBay is not out of the question, but I was looking for other alternatives.

2. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Craigs list and price them a buck a piece.

3. mac762

mac762

If you're not set on making a fortune off them, give em to a kid. My Buddies Dad gave me all his old street rodder magazines when I was in high school. What a great present for a kid.

It saved me from having to look at all the crap that was being built in the late 80's.

4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

If you dont care about the $. Donate them to a local Boy Scout Troop/Cub Scout troop. Teach those kids the gift of charity and Hot Rodding at the same time. Slim

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

First...move this to the classifieds!
    Next, I just had a discussion with a guy this weekend about his collection. He seemed to think it was worth a lot, but I explained to him, with the "passing" of so many of the generation that collected them, there seems to be a flood of them on the market. The guys who used to deal with them have more than they can handle and don't seem interested, unless they get them for pennies a book.
    I'd recommend sifting through them for the rare ones and trying to sell them, and as mac762 said, just give the rest out to interested young'uns.

6. b-bob

b-bob

My older cousin gave me thirteen car mags in '59 when i was ten years old. I was amazed at how the customizers fabricated metal to build these cars. This lead to a life of building cars that is still going on.

7. When I was in the service my mom was teaching a kid up the street how to read and to entice/encourage him as he progressed she would reward his progress with my old car magazines. Tell you that kid must have really improved as he ended up with many years worth of several different car magazines. There are plenty of kids/adults out there that hardly ever take time to read anything but will take a lot of pleasure reading car magazines. Find a literacy group and see if they're interested in taking them of your hands.