Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Hot Rod mags...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckboz, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I just came across a stash of Hot Rod mags that my dad had hidden away! I've been cleaning out my mom's house since I lost my dad back in August. I found all of 56,57,58,59, most of 60,61 and 63. Any month that had a 40 Ford in it had the top of the page folded over. That is because he had one in high school which he graduated in 1960. Very inspiring! I don't know if anyone cares, but I just felt like venting...thanks....Boz

2. Andamo

Andamo

Just to pass something along. I started buying Hot Rod in 1959 and kept them all though the years up until 1975. I moved into another house and had the magazines in cardboard boxes in the basement. The house was a split level and the magazines were in the lowest level. I was at work the one night, and a water pipe in the basement split and filled the entire basement. So my entire collection was ruined. About 8 years ago I bought a bunch of old Hot Rods at a swap meet and decided I wanted to get another collection together. About 3 years ago I got the last one I needed. I established 1948 to 1975 as the years I wanted to collect. I only have one original magazine from 1948 since they're so expensive. I had a lot of fun collecting them and maybe it's something you might want to do. Gotta say in my case, swap meets and eBay is where all mine came from.

3. Plumber 1

Plumber 1

Lowbuckboz
    Great story. Sorry about your Dad. I know where you're coming from.

4. How cool is that! Just think, every time you look through those old rags you know your dad will be looking over your shoulder with you!

5. impala4speed

impala4speed

Sorry to hear about your dad.
    I also have a great many Hot Rod mags back to the 50's. I have others as well but HR was always my favorite; these I'll never part with. What makes yours more special is that they were your dads and you've got them.
    Denny

6. triumphtony

triumphtony

Sorry to hear about your dad.
    I just got abunch from my dad last sunday. There is so much cool stuff in them I can not stop looking at them.
    have fun reading them.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Care....you have Hot Rod blood in your veins thanks to a very special person. Hell yeah I care the same thing inspired me. My Dad was a Stromberg maniac and for some reason they just keep popping up here.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got every issue since Dec 1959 stashed away but some of them may have suffered a fate similar to Andamo's first collection when my brother turned on the wrong pipe in the cellar and flooded my storage shed 100 ft away. I even have the ones that were sent to me in Viet Nam in 1968 and I saved and brought back in my duffel bag.

From an early age I had plans to have a library with all my car magazines, books and other car stuff connected to my garage when I ever got it built.

9. screwball

screwball

Ive got hot rod from 51 up and hundreds of others. Sorry to here how you got yours but I hope it brings you good memories every time you look at yours. My dad didnt like cars.

10. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Thanks for the replys! Why I love this site even though I hardly ever post, great bunch of car guys! And the talent here, unreal! Yup, my dad is obviously my reason for my car addiction. Have an appriciation for stock all the way to highly modified, love em all!

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I never got anything from my Dad before he passed other than this very cool adiction and today he would tell me 1 Hot Rod would be plenty son.......but I never listen. RIP Edward Skipper.