Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old hot rod found!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ss34coupe, Sep 28, 2013.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow. Really coming along.

2. ok, I'm waiting!

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

John heeded roseville carl's advice and changed over to a flexible line....showing again the great amount of useful knowledge available
    on the Hamb...thanks, roseville carl!

Attached Files:

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Some pics of the modified tailgate and taillights now installed.

Attached Files:

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Lights and switches all work. Starter button installed.

Attached Files:

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

View from inside the car. The 39 Ford trans is ready to start shifting gears. John will run the 6 volt system that the old rod was built with back in the day.

Attached Files:

7. Can't wait to hear the video of this great car running again, bet she sounds great!!

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

It won't be running again, it will be running for the first time. This rod was built in the late 60's but the engine was never fired and the car has never been driven. Thanks for the suggestion of a video, so John will make arrangements for the first firing of the flathead mill to be on video.

9. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

I will be waiting to see video

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anxiously waiting video.:eek::D

Frank

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

John's dog Jake wants to see this rod running soon too!

Attached Files:

12. If it has never been run I would get some Marvel Mystery oil and add some to each cyl before I ran it, spend some time turning the engine over each day by hand with the oil in the cyls not a bunch just enough to wet the walls and rings................

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Carl - thanks for the tip! Sounds like a good idea.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Score on that one-looks like it'll be a blast to tool around in.But did you say TOO MANY cars??I've never heard of such a thing! Have fun, be safe, and drive the wheels off 'em. Mike from Mass.

15. cruisin32ford

cruisin32ford

Wow! This is an incredable find! I'm having a "T" Gasm just reading about it! Can't wait to see more!

16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

What John is doing is really preserving a piece of local hotrodding history. This effort has not attracted the local attention that it should, so thankfully sites like this allow the story to be shared with a much wider and appreciative audience. John is slowly working on the old hot rod through the winter, and we should have some updates soon.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

hey, you got my attention, and I'm (sorta) local...

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, George, we appreciate your interest and input. The reference was more to the southern Island area - a lot of rodders here might know about the history of this car but are content to remain as lurkers on the site. The real interesting thing about this car that is so far unanswered is how come it was almost but never completed? It is not uncommon to come across half-built cars that the owner lost interest in or ran out of money, but this old rod was 95% done and needed very little to finish. Why is sat in various garages and basements for 40 years in that almost completed state is still a mystery.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  19. Just plain providence......it was waiting for John to come along and commit to a great finish!!!

20. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Some more photos coming your way....here are the friction shocks mounted on the front end. John has been busy working away on the Chev-bucket.

Attached Files:

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Gas pedal, linkage, and mufflers installed. The car is coming along!

Attached Files:

22. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Distributor wired and coil installed. The second photo shows the oil valley, and you can see some of the port polishing that was done over 40 years ago when this flathead engine was built.

Attached Files:

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

John could use some help from you flathead experts out there. The engine in his rod, a 46 Ford motor, was completely rebuilt in the early 70's. It was installed in the old rod, but never fired. So John has been working hard this winter to finish off the little details of this build, and to get the car running.
    The problem is that the motor does not turn over when the plugs are installed. It does turn over without the plugs, but not well. There is a further problem of low compression on one of the cylinders, I believe it is number 6. There is oil pressure at cranking speed with the plugs out, and the motor is wired for a 6 volt system with a new, fully charged battery. The starter has been rebuilt, and John has tried a couple of starters to see if that was the problem. Any ideas that would help him out?

Attached Files:

24. Bob181

Bob181

real deal car, I like it!

25. When I was firing up my flathead on an engine stand, had lots of slow cranking issues,
    till I got some 1 gauge battery cables. Problem solved.
    Hope that helps

26. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

The more i look at it, the better i like lt...cool car

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for the tip. I'll check with John to see what he is using for battery cables.

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

man those pics with the redlines tires are SPOT ON... the owner taking that trophy looks like Steve McQueen!- regular bad ass!

What a cool find... I'd put it right back to that late sixties red line version...

so RAD.

Tuck

29. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This rules---->

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Rolleiflex likes this.
  30. Very Nice! Subscribed!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!