Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Hemi alternator/generator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rumblin Rolf, Apr 9, 2014.

1. I'm about to shoehorn a '54-'55 331 Chrysler Hemi into my '37 Plymouth Coupe. Plan is to use a Powermaster-style "alternator-in-generator-disguise". I would prefer not to have it above the valvecovers as original is mounted. On the low left side steering might iterfere so, it seems like the right side below the head might be a good place. One problem though, it must be fairly short.
    Any of you guys have a good suggestion? Powermaster short Ford style?
    Please give me some advise.

2. if you're going to hide it why spend the cash for a powermaster? here's some pics of my set up. it a 354 in a 48 plymouth, it should be similar to what you've got. the alt is a nippon denso from an 87 suzuki samari. it came with the v belt pulley.

Attached Files:

3. 35desoto

35desoto

Yes there are some very good examples of efficient and small alternators out there that with a bit of juggling will mount down low. I'm using a 90amp alternator that's off a Mazda v6 that's half the size of an original Mopar one on my 63 426 wedge engine and am doing a similar conversion to a 57 dodge 325 engine too.
    I used a small ford one on my 35 Desoto and had to make up a pulley to run a "b" section belt but other than rejigging the rear mount it was a great changeover. To me conversions like this are at the heart of Hot rodding - adapting in stuff to make the whole car work better

4. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Here's mine, it is the 'Chevy' version as the mounting holes are closest to the Chrysler unit. Ignore the cheap-y air cleaner, it is just covering the carb until the real one is painted!

Attached Files:

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Powermaster alternators are $$$$$$ and they don't even have one for the rear mounted power steering pump on those engine years.

6. I found A-Ford type units converted to 12V alternators are very short but normally they are equipped with a very small pulley due to the engines low RPM's. Reason for low mounting is for future manifold options.

7. 73RR

73RR

Why the generator look? The packaging is large/long and as in the original setup you don't have many places to mount it.
    If you are using the oem water pump assembly then it is easy to mount an alternator just above the fuel pump and it does not require some expensive billet mounts...