Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Headlight Relay Switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Nov 26, 2018.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had this old headlight relay switch for years and was thinking it might be cool to restore and use on my project. I'm wondering, since it isn't marked, if it was 6v or 12v? I'm guessing since it isn't marked, it's probably 6v, which won't work on my project. Any way to check it out and see if it's functioning or not?

Also, I'm assuming that since there are 2 leads in and 2 out, that easch one would go to a separate headlight - am I correct?

Thanks for any input.
    -Bob
    [​IMG]1126181315 by TagMan, on Flickr
    [​IMG]1126181314b by TagMan, on Flickr

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

one for low beam, one for high beam.

It's probably 12v, but that's just a guess, it looks slightly more modern than 6v stuff, from what I can see.

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Personally, old stuff like that is better for a conversation piece than practicality. I would want to use new and quality to be dependable.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

4. I've used that very same relay for a headlight relay. Made by Wells Manufacturing. 12 Volt dual relay, one for low beam, one for high beam. They work well and last a long time. That said, if I was going to do it today I'd use a couple of 30 amp Bosch style relays. They're much smaller and lighter and you can buy a replacement anywhere.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. I'm a dud with anything electrical but I've checked a few things out on the bench with a fist full of wire, alligator clips, test light, and some dry cell batteries. If I can do it, anybody can. :p

bct likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

If I felt the need to use relays on a headlight circuit, on a car that belongs here on the HAMB, that relay would be the one I'd use. It's beautiful.

F&J and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. You'll need to check with a meter, but I'd say that the 'bat' terminal is the power supply for the headlights, the 'lights' terminals are low and high beams (your choice), and the 'switch' terminals are input from your dimmer switch, again low and high. The relay body will need to be grounded for the coils to work. Check for continuity between each 'switch' terminal and ground to see if the coils are good, look for about 70 ohms.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, gentlemen - I appreciate the info.
    -Bob