Register now to get rid of these ads!

old guy pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod1940, Oct 15, 2010.

1. I have commented many times on pinstriping because I have done it for 50 years. I don't stripe often as I have retired, but last week I did a friends hotrod bobber and thought I would post some photos to show that I can actually stripe.
    I got out my 30 year old Mack brush and here is the results.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

VERY cool!!!!

3. Just awsome . How do u decide qwhat to put on the car.
    Also what do u do after like gelcoat over it or just wax it.?

4. Looks like you still have it brother. A whole lot of it!

5. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

6. BEAR

BEAR

good work man

7. Now I have to figure out how to fold myself like a pretzel and get inside a chopped, sectioned and lowered 40 Chevy Pickup and stripe the dash.

8. That is so fine , Looks like you are hitting your stride, Wish you lived around here, I got a forty that could use your touch,,,Sam

9. Lookin' good my brother-of-the-brush!Good luck on the inside job;I hate trying that these days.The mind says I can do it and the body says,"YEAH;SURE!"
    Someone told me once that doing pinstriping was like falling out of a tree;once you did it the first time you never forget how! lol

10. im a youngster, and i love pin striping and now that i had one thing pinstriped, i want more done.
    looks very cool!!!!

11. smarg

smarg

Still got it.

Looks slick.

12. GoBettie

GoBettie

Beautiful work.... You've definitely still got it!

13. Ya still have the touch Bob.

14. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Looks good man...Post those pics in the Friday Art Show.

15. badgeree

badgeree

Very, very nice. When did you say you were relocating to Australia? You wouldn't have time to be retired.

16. RAY With

RAY With

Looks just like the striping I saw in the early 60,s. Very nice work!

17. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Did you post this in the Friday Art Show also? Hadn't been there yet. But man it looks like you knocked off the dust on your brushes.

18. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Man , that is sexy , I have been trying to learn myself how to stripe , I bought the Mack 0 and the 00 , and a scroll brush , I am using the H.O.K. sign paint , just because I cant get the one-shot around here without ordering it , it seems to me that the scroll brush is much easier to use then either the 0 or the 00 mack , of course I still shake like a dog shitting razor blades , but I hope to stedy myself over time , by the way , how do you come up with the design and does that kinda stuff just come with time and seeing gobs and gobs of it?

19. Picked up my brush and did a 55 Chevy for a friend, it had been 5 years or so since I did it, just like riding a bike, it all comes back. Nice job.

20. wow you're not even rusty out oif retirement! I've tried striping, I bought all the stuff from Mooneyes, I could do decent flames, but if I could stripe like that!? Lookout! My whole garage would be striped!

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

WONDERFUL Work!!!!!

22. Bman416

Bman416

Looks like you still got it!

Brian

23. rustyhood

rustyhood

That is for sure a great talent you have. Cool art work that adds class to any ride.

24. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Nice "period" striping. You're too good to retire. If you don't mind, why did you stop?
    js

25. I decided it was a lousy way to make money years ago. I got into manufacturing and real estate, but always kept an interest in striping and lettering through the years.

26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

HOTROD 1940

I like the colors you used and your lines really flow and are very smooth.

There are so many different types of stipping but the one I perfer is the one that adds beauty to the car but yet is very sutle and flowing.

Sometimes when the stripping covers to large an area everyone admires the stipping but the car is almost forgotten in the backround.

Your lines are very clean.

I also have a few very old Mack brushes that I have had for 20 years or more.

Everyone treats their brushes in many different way's but mine stay in a plastic tray laying flat with mineral spirts covering them so that they are not exposed to air.

I also decided years ago that for me it was a great hobby but something that was not easy to make a good living at.

I think it's a shame today how much money they are charging stippers at the big street rod shows just to set up your tent.

Once the costs got over $1,500 for a three or four day show most of the old times could not afford to attend anymore.

Just my thoughts. Jimbo

27. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you do some nice work the bobber came out shweet ,

28. SWEET!!! Somebody said it looked like work they saw in the 60's. Might be your work they saw in the 60's.

29. Thanks for all the great comments and especially you fellow stripers. I like Safariknut's term, "brothers of the brush".
    You guys know what I mean when I say "get up on the brush"