Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old gauge tech.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Nov 8, 2010.

1. I found a some original gauges for my 40 Merc coupe. I want to replace the Dakota Digital unit in the car with the original gauges. The faces and needles of the original gauges are in good shape. The needles move freely. The backside/workings of the gauges are mostly toast.
    I'm thinking of going with later model mechanisms and electrical. I was just wanting to get feedback and input on what others have done in this situation. What might work best.
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. big creep

big creep

dont do it! dakota digital sucks i think it looks like crap! but thats just my opinion! its really up to you?

ok im stupid! i didnt read it right. get them rebuilt. they can ad vdo gages to look old but work on electronic sending units.

3. I'm replacing the Digital with the old gauges

4. big creep

big creep

yea i posted before my brain made sense of it. im a dummy!

5. It's all cool. No biggie:cool:

6. When I visited Classic Instruments they told me they would sell just the components if I wanted to adapt to older faces. Give them a call.

7. I was wondering about that. That would be an easier fix. Maybe more bucks. Thanks

8. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Your best bet, at least for the money is to run what you have. The older stuff is probably fine. Hook it all up and see what you have. If one or two things need work, send them off to be repaired. No need to fix it if it ain't broken. We will sell components too if you need anything.

Mark

9. alchemy

alchemy

Drive over to APT in Bloomington I think, and show them your original gauges. See if they can be reasonably repaired.

10. bluemoose

bluemoose

11. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

And what's the average price on something like that?

12. big creep

big creep

it looks like spam to me.

13. mj40's

mj40's

Do you have a photo of your original cluster? I know in my 40 Ford unit most gauges are too larger to fit the housing or if they do you can not see the face very well.

14. JAWS

JAWS

Remember they are 6 volt.

I am curious as to why they are toast. This maybe a dumb question. Have you tried them yet with original senders and 6 volts?

15. Adam's Garage

Adam's Garage

Steve,

Give me a call sometime next week and we can go into more detail about everything and expected prices and times. We offer free quotes if you send the gauges into us and it will be more exact of a price when we see the condition and extent of the work that needs to be done.

Have a great Holiday season. 1-800-575-0461

16. big creep

big creep

how about doing an intro???

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

18. Adam's Garage

Adam's Garage

I have an intro posted now. Sorry for the delay.