Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, May 6, 2019.

1. oj

oj

I been looking for a fuel pump for my 354, there is one on that nameless site that is an Airtex rebuild, still in the original box and the guy thinks it was done back in the 80's. Maybe it was and maybe not, something about it says it was from the 60's
    Do you guys think the diaphram is still good or is it dryrotted?
    These pumps are very rare, this is the first one I've seen advertised.
    Thanks, Oj

2. town sedan

town sedan

Sure it may work, but ethanol will fix that.
    -Dave

sidevalve8ba, RDR and oj like this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Could you simply replace the diaphragm if needed?

Those old ones are all rebuildable.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hot heads sells an adapter to run LA pumps

5. squirrel

squirrel

the box looks more 60s than 80s.

If you can buy a kit to rebuild it again when it fails, it might be worth the money. If having an original looking pump is important for the car...

oj likes this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I see on the auction site that you can buy a rebuild kit for $65, which seems kind of steep, but it does seem to be new production. Do you have a pump now?
    If so, and you wish to tackle repairing your pump yourself, I can send you a chunk of "Hypalon" material, gratis, that I use for rebuilding fuel pumps and accelerator pumps.

Some sources say that Hypalon is the cat's meow for these diaphragms, others that it is no good at all.
    I have used it successfully over the years, most recently for an accelerator pump about a year and a half ago that is holding up fine with modern gasoline. I originally learnt about it in Skinned Knuckles magazine back in pre-internet days.

My technique is to grind off the peened end of the diaphragm pull rod, then chuck it in a lathe to drill and tap it for a small screw. Then the home made diaphragm can be installed with appropriate washers etc. I don't worry about the check valves etc. because they don't seem to wear out, and although it would be nice to replace the oil seal, I don't know of a source and haven't seen a lot of oil leakage out the weep holes.

If interested, send me a private message.

7. George

George

Bingo! Been lots of problems for a number of years with both new & rebuilt F/Ps. Get the adaptor & an LA pump. A rebuild kit might work, but if Ethanol kills it out on the road...

8. I put an adapter for an "LA" pump on a 291 Desoto hemi 8 years ago and it's still working great.

9. oj

oj

Plan 'B' is to go with the Hot Heads piece, or make my own but the motor is fully exposed and I'd like the fuelpump to be period correct. I have an original and might take up that offer for a diaphram, the only thing that gives me pause is that spring gizmo inside, I believe I took one apart a long time ago and recall placing the rebuilding of fuel pumps high on my list of shit not to do again.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Have you found instructions for rebuilding the pump? I don't have a 50s Mopar manual, but the 51 hudson manual has quite a bit of detail on the process. There might be some tricks to it. I haven't read it all, but I did rebuild a pump for an OT car a few years ago, and I certainly understand your attitude about the job.

11. oj

oj

Good thinking, I remember rebuild instructions in those old manuals, I'll have a looksee. I have it apart, the bottom cover and check valve section in the parts cleaner, the rivet drilled and lever arm removed and had reached the point where I stabbing and prying on unknown, unreplaceable parts with a screwdriver against a springloaded device that is mysteriously held in place and that little voice popped into my head 'Say, Oj, this would be a good time to set this on the bench and go clean the bathrooms!' So here I am, fresh from doing the bathroom chores.
    I'll have a look in the manuals.

12. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Send it to Egge they’ll rebuild it.

I have the Hot Heads adapter on my 354 , works great. If you paint the pump it will look more original.

13. Why are you guys afraid to say the word Ebay?

egads likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

The sky is falling!

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Uh-oh, now ya went and done it, dangit!

16. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I just rebuilt a combo fuel + vacuum pump for a straight 8 Buick. Having a factory service manual sure helped speed up the process.

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Why are you guys afraid to say the word Ebay?"

Now you've done it, now they know we're here!