Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old friend-new life 57 High School hot rod re-build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tater Bug, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You don't know how right you are that you were lucky to have your Dad get you into the 57 in high school. I wanted a 57 in the worst way and took my Dad to the Chevrolet OK used car lot to show him the one I wanted to buy. He was not a car guy "thought they were just for transportation " and he told me those old cars will eat your lunch trying to keep them running. He wouldn't let me buy it. This was in 1969 or 70. OLD CARS ? I have pointed out 57's to my wife at car shows and swap meets all of our married life telling her how much I wanted one. She after awhile said if I really wanted one I would have had it by now. I told her, no I really have always wanted one since my first car I would have had. I saw a 57 project for sale on a trailer at a swap meet when I was in my 50's and she said go over and look at the price. Like always I wrote down the price and phone number and went home. When I got home I thought to myself this is crazy. Why haven't I got one in all these years ? It hit me . DAD SAID NO. I respected his advice more than I can describe. I realized at that moment that he never intended to deprive me of my favorite car. Him not being a car guy he was just protecting me from maintenance and financial headaches to the best of his understanding. I couldn't call the guy fast enough to tell him I wanted to buy it and it turned out to be one of the happiest days of my life. And about your color choices. Since I first knew what a 57 was , Yellow was the only color for one.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

keep it yellow ( maybe 58 corvette panama yellow ) corp_0903_01_z+1958_chevy_corvette_panama_yellow+front_view.jpg imagesKBKTPW6X.jpg

3. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

4. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Trying to get some primer sprayed tomorrow. I hate that paint buildup you always see in the drip rails...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  5. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

6. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

The plan is single stage urethane for this job... but I have really been thinking hard about something like this
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. raven

raven

Oh no! Don't do that. The original yellow means more and it looks better that way.
    r

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You have to remember that most guys including me that are saying keep it the way it is are coming from a different angle. In my case I still want what you guys had when we were growing up. We were drooling over the yellow 57's that were the popular choice back then. You on the other hand had it and are ready for something new. I totally understand. The custom yellow on the car you show would be awesome on the 57. If I were you I would forget what the rest of us would do and do what you want to do now rather than repeating the past unless you decide thats what you want to do. Either way I will be one of those staring and enjoying your car when its done.

kiwijeff, slv63, Finn Jensen and 2 others like this.
  9. It's true, Project X has made this color almost mandatory if you are doing a 57 sedan & I got to admit I like it as well.
    The problem is, if you are trying to personalize this project you will have to come up with something that makes this car yours & not a Project X clone.
    Unless of coarse that is what you want.
    A 57 Chev will look good no matter what color it is.
    I like the Black Widow two tone, but it's not for everyone, again another clone.
    To me this is what makes building a car fun, you get to choose everything!
    Good luck & have fun with it.

jnt1957, loudbang and Kan Kustom like this.
  10. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Still leaning corvette yellow... just dreaming about options.

Right now we have plenty of sanding and detail work to keep us busy. This ‘ol girl deserves as good as I can get her. I would love to drop it off at the body shop and pick it up done but that ain’t in the cards.

Prime, sand, prime, sand, prime sand.

11. Nice to bring it back to life. Looks to be real solid.

loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D And just think.When done if you commit a crime you can`t be traced.NO FINGERPRINTS:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  13. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

[​IMG]

This is the only rust in the car. This pan will be replaced with new by a good buddy.

When I get it back from him the front clip comes off and the engine comes out.

14. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I like your car a lot. It's cool you've been able to keep it. I like it yellow!
    I have a buddy who's about 20 years older than I am. He taught me a lot about old Chevys. He's got this '57 post that's perfect in every way partially torn down in his garage. Old black lacquer, black diamond tuck Naugahyde, torque thrusts, '63 300 hp 327 with a muncie and a posi. It's even got a black and white candy striped tuck and roll parcel tray from its original custom interior when it was young. I remember the first time I saw it, and I remember riding in it when I was in high school in the 90's. He has a plan involving burgundy metallic paint, trick suspension parts, a 383 with a 6 speed and big wheels. A black on black old school build may be perfect, but he's been staring at that since he bought it '84. He's ready for change and it's his car.

Your yellow '57 is perfect but I understand if you need to change it

Sorry for being a little long winded.

chevy57dude, jnt1957 and loudbang like this.
  15. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Took the 57 over to a buddy who does premo metal work. Turns out other than the rear pan, it needs a rear brace and the rear of the trunk floor.
    Oh well... now is the time.
    Talked to the painter today about shooting color and hope to have it ready by the end of the month.

guthriesmith, Stogy, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  16. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

17. Nice! Usually, the tailpan brace underneath is completely absent. Guess ya noticed the seams had lead in them.

18. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Yep... there are lead seams all over this thing!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

20. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

It's never too late but why would you want to lol keep up the good work

jnt1957 likes this.
  22. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

23. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

24. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

And we've taken the heart of the beast... trying to get it going the other direction by next weekend
    [​IMG]

25. Yellow on '57's - orange/red on '55's - black/blue on '56's - solid colors only please as two-tone paint reminds me of my Aunt Gurlenes two-tone, pea/lima bean green '56 4dr 210 (yuckie-poo) - this is my opinion for me - I love any Tri-5 in any color!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    dan31, loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  26. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

More dis-assembly... recruited a good buddy to help out with the dash tear down.

[​IMG]

guthriesmith, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  27. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Not much to report but more sanding and priming....
    we hope to have the entire shell in primer soon
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Great job . I have had over 150 cars and trucks pass through my hands looking for that magic one. I had a 55 2 door 210 post when I was in high school and have never had that feeling toward a car again.
    The last time I went to my old home site it was still rotting away in the woods were it was dragged
    I pulled the trunk emblem off and it hangs in my garage as a reminder of how stupid a teenager can be.

29. Tater Bug

Tater Bug