Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old friend-new life 57 High School hot rod re-build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tater Bug, Nov 30, 2017.

1. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

That's a great car with an awesome story, best to you man!~

bambbrose and jnt1957 like this.
  2. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

HRTH...

I've wanted a shop for 25 years and it was never in the cards. I finally decided that I was never going to be able to afford to hire one built so I bought a decommissioned chicken house and built every bit of it myself with help from family. I mean every bit.... poured the floor (it looks hideous), insulation, metal siding, even bought used doors and put them up myself...
    But that's a whole 'nother story..

Thanks for the good word!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, dan31, czuch and 6 others like this.
  3. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

4. Stick with YELLOW!

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  5. manyolcars

manyolcars

You did good to keep your car. I have the 1947 Mercury I bought in 1967. It has a 392 hemi and I would like to get started on it too. Good Luck with your build!

RustyDogg and hotrodharry2 like this.
  6. Good decision to hang on to the 57 for all those years. Wish I could go back and get one of my old cars. I vote yellow too since I was around when Project X from Hot Rod magazine was being built. I just looks so right on a 57. Sorry about the windshield.

I'm subscribed.

7. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

8. Nice car man, really like the big block idea too What year vette color is that ?
    Around 1980 I was offered (but didn't take) a yellow 57 Chevy east of you over in Dexter Mo, one of the regrettable decisions I made as a 14 year old kid..lol

Baron and jnt1957 like this.
  9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've enjoyed following along so far. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

jnt1957 likes this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Grear story, grear car. Cant wait to see this build unfold. Lots of shades of yellow, if you want a bit of change.

jnt1957 likes this.
  11. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

I believe it's 84 corvette yellow

swade41 likes this.
  12. Great thread! 55-57 chevys have been the mainstay of street cruisers for many years and I also like yellow 57s. However, I like my yellows with a little less green in them. I told the body guy to show me the brightest yellow you can find and he painted it that color...shows up a LOT lighter on old film.
    circa 1975 57chevy.jpg

13. GeeRam

GeeRam

Cool story............nice workshop.

Have to say, I quite like the idea of putting it back to silver.......new lease of life for the car deserves a new colour perhaps?
    Or as poster above says, a paler yellow, such as mid 60's Stingray Sunfire Yellow perhaps?

indyjps, jnt1957 and loudbang like this.
  14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I've had my coupe since I was 13, that's 34 years now!I've had passing thoughts of selling, but I know that a 40 coupe is still the ultimate car for me!
    To me, there's only a handful of really memorable 57 Chevy's, and the Project X 57 in Hollywood Knights pulling away from the light racing the cobra is the ULTIMATE 57! yellow, hoodless & blown would be GREAT!

15. I'm probably the last guy to know this... I know what Project X is, and I love Hollywood Knights...but I had no idea that was the car in the film haha

Killer project by the way

Baron, swade41, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  16. Pretty cool that you’ve held onto it all these years. I’ve let so many go that I wish I still had. And not that I get a vote, but I’d put some different color on it. I love it in yellow but she should get herself a new coat for her new lease on life.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baron, loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  17. Boatmark

Boatmark

I can relate, I've had my OT Corvette since I was 21. (1985) I drove it like I stole it, had a blast, then tore it apart. Life got in the way, and it still sits. I guess it will be a retirement project one day.

Love your 57' and your shop. Will enjoy following along. If it were my car it would be black, but as your car I'd vote yellow. You have a lot of history with the car, your father, your buddies etc. - YOUR CAR, is yellow. It's natural result of keeping one car so long. I paint everything black, but my Vette has to stay red - MY Vette is red.

loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  18. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

More thrashing tomorrow night... I've cleared my calendar! Goal for the night is to have all the door and window jams stripped.

hotrodharry2 and loudbang like this.
  19. Funny thing about grinding and sanding. It's a lonely job, no one EVER offers to help.

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I think I recently purchased your cars Canadian brother. I live about 1 hour north of Toronto in a small town. This 57 was a local street racer from the late 60,s and painted yellow in 1974. 327, 4 speed posi rear end. Paint is tired but I like it that way. It did have some drag strip time, as it still has tow bar brackets on front frame .
    I think what you are doing is awesome I can't wait to see the finished product.

DSCF1287.JPG

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Great Story, Good for You ! I'm envious, back in 64 my first car was 57 210, but pale blue/green, spray can top white and being a Wisconsin car, some rust repair part of the program. I never had the for site or funds back then to save a car for future and when I came back to car hobby never got around to buying a 57, now old, do not want a project anymore and a nice 57 still brings more $$$ than I'm willing to spend at this time. Have at it ! IMO keep the yellow, popular back in the day.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    jnt1957 and loudbang like this.
  22. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

This would have been taken around '88 when I was 14. Probably right after the new lacquer was polished for the last time. Crate 350, Saginaw 3 speed, 14" off brand dark center 5 spokes.

[​IMG]

23. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Great Story! Awesome Car. I vote for Yellow and honestly I prefer Red for my cars.... Our family had several '57's, for a graduation present my Dad furnished the cars and parts to put one together for my brother, it was a '57 Hardtop. We painted it dark blue, it was more orange peel than anything since we had never painted a car before. He drove it for a couple of years, not sure what happened to it. Those were the days.... Car was ready for graduation 1967. IMG_5577.JPG

kiwijeff, mgtstumpy, Mtn Goat and 3 others like this.
  24. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

More sanding more sanding. Dad took the car down to bare metal back in the day. I have decided not to do so. We did have to take out some cracked bondo but for the most part it's going to be scuff, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime and sand.
    Right now the goal is to deliver to my buddy for color in March.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

26. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

that i
    that is so cool !!!!!! ive started to find and build my high school and shortly after high school cars to relive it. it's more expensive now !!!!!!!!!!!

Doctorterry, loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  27. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  28. How can that 57 not be yellow?????

raven, PONTNAK123 and jnt1957 like this.
  29. Subscribed...go man go!

jnt1957 likes this.
  30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice sir.Many memories made in and with that car I`m sure.Some good.Some not so good I guess,but that`s life.Post updates as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

jnt1957 likes this.