Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Fire truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Hey guys: I saw this FT here on the Hamb (I think) Anyone recall what thread? I have a brother that would like some info as to the manufacturer etc. Tim firetruck.jpg

2. ttt trying to find the origin of the pic.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Spring loaded front bumper? Must have been some 'earlier" rendition of the federally mandated 5 MPH bumpers.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Going by the shape of the badge most likely American Lafrance, 192?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the bumper brackets.

Slowjoe, kiwijeff and exterminator like this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree about being an ALF but the windshield looks different , like it may have been added .

7. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Looking at the picture, you may want to check the "Sitting and Rotting...Picture Thread". Looks like one that would be on there.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Agree, it looks like American LaFrance by the shape of the "ghosting" of the missing emblem on the radiator shell. By the way it's not a fire truck, it's a fire engine.

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted that image.
    It is an American LaFrance.

It has been sitting in the lot behind a local auto parts store for many years.

I haven't asked recently, but the owner has never exhibited any interest in selling it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. Thanks for letting me know. I'll pass this info onto my brother BTW, what thread was it on?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat old fire truck that deserves better treatment. I wonder if the windshield treatment was a later addition to block a bit of cold air in winter.

12. clem

clem

And I thought the windshield treatment may be to block the heat from the fires..........

13. exterminator

exterminator

Shame its sitting outside-would make an excellent parade vehicle.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Interesting. Perhaps it was specially built to get in close to a fire. Heat resistant glass? Possibly designed as an early airport rig, chemical/industrial plant. Petroleum plant, oil well fire rig?
    If it hails from MI. as the original poster does, it could have been a resident Co. rig at any number of manufacturing plants involved in the auto industry, such as a foundry. Many large manufacturing plants had their own rigs/firemen to protect their assets.
    Wouldn't it be cool to learn that it was originally ordered as a resident rig for something like Ford's River Rouge industrial complex?

Found this one. It's at the National Toy and Transportation Museum in NZ, so they made more than one of them in this form. This one's a1923. Notice the hood louver difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]http://www.flickriver.com/photos/28439790@N03/32784691245/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  15. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Early Fire trucks like that AF Gimpy pictured were built with no windshield, some years later, I've been told but don't remember, that a windshield would be retrofitted on older engines and new ones were to come with one, why such an odd one on the first picture would be anyones guess.

16. clem

clem

F046C999-725A-4BFC-88D4-8EA16CC725BA.jpeg 770EC1E5-9ADF-41E0-870A-390C33C4365D.jpeg 770EC1E5-9ADF-41E0-870A-390C33C4365D.jpeg Found this one. It's at the National Toy and Transportation Museum in NZ, so they made more than one of them in this form. This one's a1923. Notice the hood louver difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]http://www.flickriver.com/photos/28439790@N03/32784691245/

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Yes !
    I knew that I had seen one before.
    Visited Wanaka museum 3 years ago.
    Here’s my pic.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and timwhit like this.
  17. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree; it is a shame.
    I was told by the parts store manager that it WAS used as a parade vehicle for some time, but the owner has left it sitting out there for many years.

The tree growing between two of the cross-members is about 3" in diameter.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. exterminator

exterminator

19. 1940, the local home guard needed a tank, so they repurpose the city's old abandoned fire engine, weld on a turret of sorts, and drove around pretending to shoot the enemy.......

That's all bullshit, but I thought it sounded Good, haha Merry Christmas.

kidcampbell71 and john worden like this.
  20. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Fire engines are an expensive asset and not positioned near high heat for obvious reasons.
    Hose lays of hundreds of feet are not uncommon as a result. Fire fighting is hard labor.
    Tenders usually transport hose, loose equipment and or water. They provide support to the "mother ship" which is the pumper.
    It's a shame the larger old trucks are expensive to store, restore and operate. They are generally built bullet proof and last forever.
    It's a dream of mine to go "on scene" in an open cab, chain drive, straight pipe equipped pumper.

timwhit and kiwijeff like this.
  21. richie3

richie3
    from Ocala, FL

Please contact me about the fire truck I would be interested in buying it. Thanks Richard Williamson