Register now to get rid of these ads!

old drop axle, But look at the steering arms.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harmony-h62, Feb 23, 2008.

1. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

I just got this, I was wondering if bending the steering arms around like this was a common thing. I've seen bent up and bent down, But I have never seen this before?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. This was commonly done to put the tie rod on the underside of the arms, to clear the oilpan. Safe?--No Cheap?---Yes.-- Twisted AND chromed?--Not under my car, thank you.

3. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

That looks like a late axle there is less room so the arms end up short a lot heating and bending if the car has fenders I would cut them off and install chassis eng arms . my 2c.

4. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

I was not planing on using the arms.They will get cut off. I just never seen them like that. But now I have. I am one more fact closer to being a expert. HA HA

5. Friend of mine is running a 34 Ford coupe with stock spindles. The steering arms are twisted 180 degrees to put the tie rods on top. Came that way. He has owned the car for 25 years. No telling how long they have been like that or how many miles. Thousands of steering arms have been heated and bent over the years and I have never heard of a failure. Old Henry made good stuff.

6. titus

titus

looks like they are old parts, any idea how long theyve been like that?

there still on there correct?

i myself wouldnt be worried about running them, but some people probably think im stupid sometimes, but until i break my first steering arm off or axle for that matter im not gonna worry about it!

JEFF

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I picked up an old dropped axle for my A project several years ago and the arms were cut off and exteneded down with a piece of bar stock. Had run that way under a 46 coupe for years. I wasn't going to run'em. Don't think Tman is going to either, but maybe he could post a pic. Sometimes "back in the day" wasn't better.

8. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Those spindles probably would have thousands of miles left in them. I wouldn't worry so much about the reshaping as I would about the chroming.

Ron

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm with titus - wouldn't be worried about them at all. Dropped axle (as shown) commonly puts tie rod in same space as wishbone. Dropping the steering arms solves this but it looks like this went the other way putting the tie rod between the wishbone and frame - which I have also seen done successfully.

10. NealinCA

NealinCA

I'll trade a pair of unmolested 37-41 spindles for your bent, chrome ones...

11. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

This debate has been going on and on for years...

I'm with Titus and Kevin ...and once again I think I speak for the 3 of us, lets see the PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

"Back in the Day" practice (before tapering the tie rod holes 50% from the opposite side) was to heat the steering arm and twist the end 180 degrees to place the tie rod on the opposite side of the arm. I've got a set of instructions around her from Pete and Jake telling how to do it from the early days of their company.

Frank

13. I was going to offer to trade you some perfect stockers for them but neal beat me to it.....