Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old dragster. Not sure what to do with it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chalk, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Very well said, although I would add that especially being located in Oregon, there is also the option of racing it a couple times a year up in Toutle, WA.

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thats fine, there are many places I dont know about, But "as is" E/F and how they run it without any traction (sort of) would lend itself to that type of rear end strenth

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't think you could convince me to drive that thing with any real power out front and that diff sitting right in front of my nuts. :D

I've heard of big ones, or cast iron ones but that is just plain nuts period :D

4. Chalk

Chalk
    from Oregon

I understand its not likely to ever pass a track. I dont have the funds, or knowledge to do so. Im just starting out with research, and if its not somthing anyone remembers, or interested in re building, then ill keep it. Mainly, i want to treat my dads things with respect, and find good homes for some of his things. He dreamed about this thing for years, but had a hoarding issue. Lol. I would love to see this go to a restorer, or at least someone that will keep dreaming on it like he did. Would be a shame for it to sit in a feild till it crumples.

5. For me, if that was my Dad's I'd have a hard time letting it go, but I too have a hoarding issue. :)

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Sometimes you just have to let things go,

As a restorer,it is not worth very much to me. If there is someone out there willing to give you something for it so they can hang it from the rafters, or put into it the time and money to go further, I would say go that way , and use whatever you get and treat the family to a mini vacation at a B&B. I would think that the memories from that, paid for by Dad would have greater impact on you instead of funnling in monies on his project that there is a high percent chance you will never utilize and eventually get rid of anyway.

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Amen to that!

8. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Stated very well. And very sound advice. As a Father, I agree 100% with dreracecar.
    All the best,
    Dale

9. pontman

pontman

Just to clear things up. The engine is mine not Chalks. Tuesday night when looking at his post my neck was hurtin real bad so I copied and rotated the pictures for him. I just posted a picture of a motor that I just bought. I want to find a Drag Master chassis to put it in. Sorry for the confusion. Chalk you need to post your pictures in the Great Oregon Racers thread here. You will get some info there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  10. Very poigniant, Bruce. And true. Where is our resident A-hole? :D

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have been taking anger management classes online---does it show??

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

13. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

The only thing I would want off of that car is the SPE wood gripped Bow tie steering wheel.
    dwrfab Don Ross www.donrossfab.com

14. horsepower71

horsepower71

As much as I would love to have a dragster like that you should take it apart and bring it back to its glory and at least take it to cacklefests and shows so people can see a piece of history. Then you are keeping your dads memory alive and sharing in something he loved. It doesnt take a ton of money to repaint it and leave the cage the same. Hanging it in someones rafters isnt doing anything but letting it rot and wasting something that people can see and relive a piece of history.

15. Awww, c'mon Don! You wouldn't be willing to make a 9.0 pass in that!?! Where's your spirit of adventure?

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Dam I always enjoyed the right to the point A-hole coments:D Tim Jones

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If dad bought it that way and never raced it, there is no history and the memories are just of it being some playground equipment.

18. Chalk

Chalk
    from Oregon

Yes, that is the case for me. But what if this is some old mans car? And how cool would it be to see it again after 30 years? If its nothing but rafter art, so be it. Id just like to put it out there for a while to make sure its not important to someone.

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Chase down the machine shop thats painted on the body panels

Could also be that the old man is having a beer with your dad right now

20. abone1930

abone1930

damn cool old dragster

21. Chalk

Chalk
    from Oregon

Actually got a pm, from someone who recognized the machine shop, and they aparently built pontiac engines back in the day. Looking into it.

22. Chalk

Chalk
    from Oregon

This will be auctioned in early october in La pine Oregon. I will post more info when date is finalized.