Register now to get rid of these ads!

History old drag trucks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Shane Spencer, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

im just curious how many people did/do race pickups. I didn't find anything dedicated to trucks so maybe this could become the thread for all the guys runnin em. technical info as well, suspension and chassis particularly as many people say its a little harder to hook in a pickup. just anything and all things of the past and present to do with takin a pickup down the strip. photos are greatly appreciated especially from back in the day. im switchin some things up in my apache, gonna be my track toy. im fabbing a new chassis and throwing in a BBC backed with a Muncie and beefed up 9 inch. post em up fellas

2. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pick-ups were especially popular in the Gasser classes, and particularly with the Willys AA/GS cars. In the days of crappy drag slicks, the extended pick-up beds were a great place to stick the battery or some extra lead for traction...

A lot more here - http://georgeklass.net/gassers.html

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Love the old pickup truck gassers.

Thanks for posting the vintage memories.

Jimbo

4. pila38

pila38

Great topic for discussion. I have great interest as well, hoping to drive and race my truck in the next few years.

5. hamb n egger

hamb n egger
    from California

Doug Nash's 'Bronco Buster'...A PU of sorts. Ran an injected 289

Attached Files:

6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Not 100% sure it was raced but it sure looks like it could have been! Love the look of this. :cool:

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

subscribed

8. squirrel

squirrel

Not really in "the day", but in 1979 I was 18 and I started racing my 59 apache long bed. Had a 396 in it, first with a 4 speed, then a TH400. For a few years, I raced pretty much any time the old Tucson Dragway was open.

[​IMG]

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

My Scout back in 1973 and earlier.

Attached Files:

Tickety Boo likes this.
  10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Matt Kobel P/U sadly Mat died in a car crash about 10 years ago

Pat

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Been a while since i checked on this. Thought it would just disappear after a while but im glad its gotten some interest. Im gonna start on the chassis soon for my apache. Leaf spring rear with a flipped axle and ladder bars. Im not sure about the front yet. I started this thread to get some inspiration and also hopefully some tech info so keep it comin guys ! :D

I love that scout man !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. CH3NO2

CH3NO2

That scout is bitchin.

13. guffey

guffey

Big_Al_lll (2).jpg

ok 016 (2).jpg

Big Al 3 turned into Tex Collin's Bad Brahma Bull

14. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Heres a truck that raced out of Calgary Alberta Canada in the later 60's! Hilborn injected 426 Hemi!

[​IMG]

If anyone has any info on the where abouts of this truck, I would very much like to know!

Brant.

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thanks for the support...
    This is how the Scout looks today

Attached Files:

Tickety Boo likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Directly behind the green Willys P/U Truck of the Slo-Pokes, is Jim Green's (of Green Elephant Funny Car fame) gas dragster. It's been restored and gets carted around to the car shows and nostaqalgia events. Just thought I'd throw that out there, and that's the big, banked, turn of the road race course at Pacific Raceways (Kent-Pacific Raceways to Seattle International Raceway-back to Pacific Raceways). Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I missed your post squirrell, very cool! What were your times ?

18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

19. squirrel

squirrel

the truck ran a best of 14.14, with 4.56 gears and slicks. That was in 1980, I think.

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thats not bad at All. What were the specs on the 396 ? Was that time with the th400?

21. squirrel

squirrel

That was with the 400, after playing around with stuff for a while. The 396 was a mild engine, basically a stock 325 hp with bigger valves, a mid 500s lift hydraulic cam, long tube small diameter headers (hedman 68-87 truck hedders), switch pitch ST300 converter, single plane Weiand intake with a 750 holley 3310.

years later I put the engine back in the truck, after freshening it, and ran close to the same ET with street radials, a bit more stall, and 3.55 gears, with an iron intake and Qjet.

I don't remember if I ever got into the 14s with the 4 speed, at that time it has 3.73 gears, and ProTrac L60-15 tires, and a milder cam.

22. jivin jer

jivin jer

This one from the 60's.

Attached Files:

23. 0ldracer

0ldracer

1963 NHRA NATIONALS

Bourgois-Wade-Duncan-Shores vs. Gene Altizer A/Gas Class Eliminations.

[​IMG]

24. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's really cool. I bet it was a handful with that hemi.

How is it now with the SBC?

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

I've heard a ton of stories from back in the day but 3 always seems to pop up on a consistent basis

1) Fast as hell when it went straight - best times reported were mid 10's in the late 70's
    2) I saw it going 100+ mph on the (add road name here) with 3 guys hanging off the roll bar
    3) Me and 2 other guys were doing 100+ mph on (add road name here) hanging onto the roll bar

My resurrection of the Elephant Hunter saw me replace the monster rear springs and Pontiac diff with a modern 4 link and Dana 60. The Scout launches hard and runs dead straight. The first sbc was pretty basic single carb / roller cam 377 but it went 10.69 / 121. Lots more in it as we found a convertor problem and some bad head work. Before we fixed all that I dropped a Dart block 406 with an old school 6-71 in it. The convertor problem still exists so our best to date is a 10.57 / 123 with a soft tune and 6lbs boost. Were hoping the new convertor will push that set up to low 10's and possibly a 9 sec pass . If that all works out we'll swap the pulleys and turn the boost up to about 12 lbs

26. Jibs

Jibs

Here's one that ran at Pittsburgh International Dragway back in the 60"s.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  27. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool man. Sounds like you had a blast with it.

Im really trying to dip into the 10s with the rebuild on my apache. I know its not traditional but the 496 stroker builds are very budget friendly and make great power for the money. I may go that route And just dress it up traditionally. M20 muncie, unsure what clutch i wanna run. Then im gonna brace up my 9 inch i already have with the moser shafts in it and fab up a ladder bar setup when i fab the new box tubing chassis. Inner fenders will be gone, probably no bed floor, ditch my stock bench and go with lightweight period buckets. Just a bare bones drag toy. Cant wait to get goin on it as soon as it warms up some

29. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Minnesota Dragways around 1962.

MO_JUNK and Tiger II like this.
  30. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Same time, same place.

MO_JUNK and Tiger II like this.