Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old drag strips texas, name them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinker51, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

Can anyone name all the strips around the div. 4, nhra, ahra, ihra. Glen at the motorplex is working on a web site for the texas hall of fame and would like to know where there loction was and any part that is left of these tracks.
    Please help.
    I remember caddo green valley whitehouse cerder hill mt eagle.
    There was one in coma out side of sulphur springs and much much more.
    Lets see how far this will go.
    Just email this site.
    Charles faulkner son of tinker

check out drag racing texas style on dvd
    214 688 1067

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

if you use the search function ,you will find many threads on this.

3. ESCOTT427

ESCOTT427

Circle Drag Strip in Dallas(Harry Hines and NW Hwy area)during 50"s/60"s, Temple Academy (still running), Hallsville, Paris. That's all I can contribute. Hey Charles , included a picture of your cousins JR. Fueler, ran around with Bubba after High School

Attached Files:

4. Larry T

Larry T

In this part of the country "back when"- Wichita Dragway, Wichita Falls (open again); Victory Field, Vernon; Amarillo Dragway; Childress or Quanah had a strip at one time. Across the river there was Cherokee, Frederick; LA Dragway, Lawton; Sand Springs; Ardmore. That's about it for now, I'll remember some more in the middle of the night tonight.
    Larry T

5. nail-head

nail-head

Alamo Dragway was the local place when I was a kid.

6. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Irving Drag Strip, Grapevine Drag Strip, Forest Hills Drag Strip, Whitesboro TX. Drag Strip. North Richland Hills Drag Strip, Cedar Hill, Yellow belly (if you want to call it a drag strip) The one by Waco (don't remember the name) Abilene (the one S. of town on top of the mesa) Corpus Christi, Robstown, Houston International, Eastex. I will remember some more later.

408 AA/D

7. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

the one by Waco is Prairie Hill dragstrip, about 20 miles east on Hiway 84. Old air force training field, and is still being used as a drag strip today. Used to go there in the 60's. Wide enough that they raced 4 side by side one weekend.

8. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Porter, tx and really old austin, it was on 1325 near i35 ( closed mid 60's, reopened late 60's by us outlaws after dark on friday nites, anyone here remember that? )

9. KATFISH

KATFISH

Used to race at Forest Hill, it was a couple blocks south of I-820 on Anglin drive,east side of the road.

Anyone remember Dickie Anderton, L.A. Cornielus, Bucky Terry,Maybe Gene Snow?
    They all raced there.
    There are no traces of it left.

North Richland Hills, was north on Davis Blvd.about two miles no. of Grapevine Hwy.
    it was just se.of Green valley. There is a trailer park there now.

Caddo Mills ,It was concrete ,someone said it was an old military complex during WW2.
    All the big names at the time ran there, Still my favorite was August Harcroft,he ran a white D-gas 56 chevy there.He was a giant,physicaly.Drove with his arm out the window.

North

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I remember the one in Porter used to go there all the time with my dad.And as mentioned the old International Speedway here in Houston off I-45 south.Wish I could find some pics of both strips.

11. Amarillo dragway was my favorite. How about Green valley and Dallas International?

12. Charlie;In mid fifties one at the Fly'n'Fish Lodge runway.Karnac....saw Eddie Hill run there when he lived in Longview..one by Gilmer called Betty..and one at Paris. the one by Greenville was Como....Whitehouse in Tyler....

13. dawg

dawg

Spindletop...
    (golden triangle)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  14. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

That was the official name of the track in Dickinson, right? Houston International Dragway? It's been a long time since I thought of that track.

15. blackout

blackout

Pleasant Valley, it was north of Wichita Falls, 1969.

16. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Port Isabel / Rio Grande Timing Association / 1955

cc

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You are correct. That strip kept a lot of kids off the streets. I seem to recall Wednesday night being "run what ya got night". I may be mistaken.

Damn, I have some fond memories of that place.

18. 71Dart440

71Dart440
    from Wichita KS

I've stood on the remnants of what was a drag strip in Abilene Texas. Don't know any details of the name it had nor when it was actually open???

19. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

Manana and I35 dallas

20. Larry T

Larry T

Anyone mention the old Caddo Mills?

21. wayne-o

wayne-o

Golden Triangle Drag Strip between Beaumont and Port Arthur. Wednesday night grudge races in the late 60's. $2.00 to get in, run all you wanted to. I have some pictures and movies. Will try to load. I hear the asphalt is still there.

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I-20 Dragway out of Tyler, The FIRST and SECOND Hallsville Dragstrips (they're about a mile apart), the first ran downhill. Several others have already been mentioned. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

There was one in Mineral Wells named Brazos Valley Dragway. Saw Stone, Woods, and Cooke run off the end and into the water one weekend.

Speed Gems likes this.
  24. Dallas International Motor Speedway...

25. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

RIGHT..Don Gay's family owned it .They used to have a lot of old pictures at GAY PONTIAC

26. Terry

Terry

Penwell, TX - Still up and running

27. scrape

scrape

id like to find out where the one in Whitesboro is, and go check it out......
    i hear it still there.....

28. senior fried

senior fried

Forest Lane Dragway... 1/8 and 1/4 mile, all concrete. hot spot in the 70's.

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

[​IMG]