Register now to get rid of these ads!

old drag strips in nebraska

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by isaac's mouse, Aug 23, 2010.

1. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

anybody out there have any info or old pics of dragracing in nebraska?

2. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

how old? like Scribner old?

3. ScottV

ScottV

On the corner of 144th and Giles is the Watson brick place. That used to be the pits for a dragstrip. I don't know too much more than that.

4. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

again, i'm not real good at this, but i used to race at omaha dragway, cornhusker, scribner, marion, empire raceway in so falls, humbolt county and neita now cedar falls all in iowa.

5. sololobo

sololobo

Check out Creams personal profile on here for some shots from our old stompin grounds, the Grand Island drag strip at the airport. My avatar picture was shot ther in 1956 with my 33 Chevy sedan. It was great as was Kearney, Lincoln, Flightland north of Omaha, and the great strip on HIway 50, I think it was called Cornhusker Dragway and I almost forgot Scribner. Watch for a new strip to be built off exit 420 on I-80 by the I-80 Speedway, rumour has it a full 1/4 mile strip is being built there. I was out to the Geezer Drags last weekend at Mid America Speedway and can't say enough about the great 1/8 mile strip there, bad ass cars, well run, and always a host of super cool rides racing. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  6. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

if you were at the geezer deal, i was one of the annoucers.

7. stan292

stan292

I raced at the Irvington track back in the mid '60s. It was an old airstrip North of Omaha, so it might be the same one sololobo knew as flightland. There were also races at the Lincoln Air Base in the very early '60s.

8. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

9. F1ZZY

F1ZZY
    from Gering, NE

I live in ne but only live from a few miles from the Julesburg drag strip in co supposedly one of the oldest still in operation

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i have the land/ but not the money
    in nwIOWA

:cool:

11. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

found these in one of the shops on the garage tour in Omaha yesterday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I used to to ride my bike out to Cornhusker raceway to watch when I was 10, my older brother raced a duster out there got to help him a few times, I raced dragsters at kearney , thunder valley S Dak and scribner, Somewhere I have a couple pics when we were building Scribner in the 80's, Anyone have pics from Cornhusker, Tim Jones

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I wish i had known of this one a couple years ago when we were working near Hereford. :(

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

What no pics from Cornhusker? Tim Jones

15. Alfred Howe

Alfred Howe
    from Omaha

on class racer.com there is a forun on there for cornhusker raceway, also I started a facebook group for cornhusker raceway i have about 10 photos of the track on there

16. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

any pics of this car would be great, it ran at those strips also at kearney,nebraska in the 70s-80s has Hennings "66" Ricketts Iowa on doors

Attached Files:

17. sstk100

sstk100
    from Omaha

I used to race at Omaha Dragway (the Flightland air field -- it's still in use as an airfield) in the mid to late 60's when it was closed (to racing) and Cornhusker Raceway Park was opened in Omaha.

Also raced in Lincoln at the airport, Souix City, Ia, and Marion, SD (Thunder Valley)

I have a few old pictures form the first season I went out there in 1961 as I recall. I'll have to try to find them. I was in high school then. Just got my drivers liscense, and went to the "drags" and took a couple of pictures.

Started racing there about 1965 in a NHRA stocker 56 Chevy.

I worked at Charlies Speed and Machine in those years.

I got married, went to college and that was the end of racing, about the time Cornhusker was opened.

18. Tracyerik

Tracyerik

Here's some old ticket stubs from some of those tracks, Tracy

Attached Files:

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There's an older thread on here that's a whole bunch of pages long full of photos from the sioux city drag strip. Even some video! I know sxc proper is in Iowa but south sioux is in nebraska so close enough ;)

A search for sioux city should bring it up

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Grand Island also had drags at the airport in the late 50's, thru the mid 60's. It was king of like running at Kearney, a very rough track, another runway tack

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Remember that well----I'm originally from Columbus.

22. ET66

ET66

How about O st. in Lincoln in the 60's.

23. george kopchik

george kopchik

Anyone have any information on the '56 in my profile pic? It had been raced around Omaha and surrounding areas.

24. Graham 55

Graham 55

I own this 55 gasser in the UK, I am looking for any old info on it, I am told it was built in 62 in Omaha NE and was called The Bean Bandit, the engine is set back 11 inches, it had a 302 cu in, Hilborn fuel injection motor,Liberty 4 speed and ran d/gas in later life . Any info much appreciated InkedIMG_20181010_155210653_LI.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

How about these old drag strips.

Jimbo

Cornhusker Raceway Park.jpg Kearney Drag Way.jpg

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Cornhusker raceway park has been closed for years. Kearney drag way is still in operation though

27. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

Think it was 1962, went to Lincoln airport, airbase drags. Still pre scattershield days. 55 chev was making a pass, flywheel let go and half went up thru the dash, half went down a buried in blacktop. Crew went down and dug it out with pick and shovel. Driver was a little wide eyed.