Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Drag Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zack Methvin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hmmmm, I'm gonna go look up Sebastopol on Google earth .... then look up every culdesac in the city. I could always use a $3500 Willys coupe.

els likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know that what happened to my dad was us kids......First it was in the garage, then the driveway, then the back yard. He had kids t get through high school, then college. His priorities changed. Luckily, he got it going again on the street. Drag cars are not very practical and the significant others really frown on 73 year old men racing......

els likes this.
  3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Most of our experience has been shear luck. The chassis in my avatar showed up at a NED swapmeet during a nostaliga event. A house painter from Hingam, MA got stiffed on a paint job and had to take the rolling chassis in lieu of payment. And then there was the time in the early 80s we were hanging out at Al Berry's body shop in Raymond, NH when a club member showed up and said there is a dragster at a yard sale in Candia. Now this guy was never sober but we said what the hell and took a ride. You betch Red Ryder, an old warhorse T-88 frame, chrome hairpins and some other bits in a yard sale, paid $100 for it. You just never know.

els likes this.
  4. 231ramona

231ramona

The're out there. There just wasn't a lot of interest in them until more recently. Here's one we are currently working on. Any information on it will be greatly appreciated. I've had several tips but none have panned out. We've made pretty good progress since these pictures and I'll post some updates soon.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  5. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

This car I found 5 miles from my house. 57 Pontiac rear end with T-bolt style traction bars and Hurst Airheart rear discs. Came with a parachute

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  6. Jimv

Jimv

This pictures was taken at Dover
    JimV

els likes this.
  7. I think you just need to be lucky. I was.:D

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  8. 76cam

76cam

There are some here in texas you just have to start looking around and asking questions.I wood look around the houston and dallas areas sicne thats where the big tracks are (baytown and ennis).Or just find the type of car you want and build it like a old one and start a new history of your own. I built the one in my avatar to look like and old super stocker and it gets attension every where i go.I named it the old rag.

els likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I found the "U.S.Mule" the 1965 US Nationals AAM/SP class winner on the second floor of a ladies underware factory.

els likes this.
  10. Saxxon

Saxxon

I found my current project through Kijiji classifieds but there is more to it. This truck has been kicking around for a lot of years and rumors were rampant about where it was or what was happening. I have always been a fan of it since I saw it in the 1973 Hot Rod yearbook when I was 12.

Flash forward about 20 years. My Brother has a diff and trans shop and every few years someone would call and ask about gears for a 57 Pontiac rear end. The next question from my Brother was always, "You have the Elephant Hunter?" Inevitably gears would not be purchased and the truck would fall back into the mist. This happened at least 3 times over the years.

It finally found it's way to me after I talked to the photographer who took the Hot Rod Yearbook pictures while we were at a car show. He mentioned the scout was still around. My Brother did a Kijiji search and sure enough, there it was. A deal was struck shortly after.

The pictures are not as I found it but as it was found by the guy I bought it from. At some point an RV was backed into it ... twice.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  11. choke

choke

Yeah that's an original 66 nova A/FX car. I did a horse trade sight unseen. Everthing w/ the car is 66' vintage. Even a set of Hedders By Doug weed burners. That was a word of mouth score. P.S. that Willys gasser isn't in Sebastopol. It's in another local town!!!!

els likes this.
  12. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Thanks for all the input guys. I would like to find a FED (like the one John Milner in More American Graffitti drove) or any of the old 60's/70's Funny Cars. I just want one to play with, not looking to race it. I am pretty confident there are still some left laying in barns/shops the trick is finding them, LOL. I'll keep looking, something will turn up i hope.

els likes this.
  13. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Mr.Rich Please sell the vette to me

els likes this.
  14. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

These are the kinds of old drag cars i am wondering "where are they now"
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nzkr4F_4Xlo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nzkr4F_4Xlo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

els likes this.
  15. els

els

STILL RUNNING. IMG952147.jpg

Zack Methvin and bowie like this.