Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Old Devil" 32 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. wb93

wb93

Fantastic time-capsule roadster. Love the long wheel base. Don't paint it! Do as little as pos. Keep it as is as much as possible. You can never bring it back once you've lost it.

2. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

20160109_141448.jpg 20151231_163347.jpg 20151231_163307.jpg Well I have been busy with my little family so not much time in the garage. But I did get the brakes completed new lines ran. As well as half my floor built and sunk in I will post more picks later. Still not sure about the wheel base yet. Here's a couple more shots!

3. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

20160109_141413-1.jpg I also would like to get a smaller tire for the front don't love the height that's on it.

4. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

20160109_141554.jpg I am really stoked about the oil filter that I received from Pete! Thanks again and the story means the world to me I love history and things that show history. I hope it makes your friend proud where it ended up. This will look and fit right in with the rest of my car! The reason I am not going through and painting everything like I normally would is I intend to keep it in its per seven state as much as possible. If I do end up painting it I will blow everything apart anyway. So for now this is the way I am headed. I have been torn about it but decided if I went to a car show what would I want to see and I would want to see it in its raw state at least for a little while.

5. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

20151114_170313.jpg 20160109_140951.jpg I also picked up this gem and parted it out stoked on the Lincoln OD and the rest of the goodies!

brEad, skatermann and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. JimSibley

JimSibley

If that were my car and I could talk with the old guy that built it I would restore it to its most beautiful period and then drive it back into patina.

7. bct

bct

Now thats a sound plan

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'd be proud to drive it like it has become. No need to rewrite history. There are tons of polished shiny ones and phony patina ones but few real ones. The long wheel base looks great and is also the reason the fender wells were filled. The car was built for that wheel base. It will handle better and drive straighter. It may not turn as sharp.:rolleyes:

Atwater Mike, volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  9. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Really diggin your roadster. What ever direction you go will look great. Sure looks fast just sitting there thats for sure.
    [​IMG]

10. I agree with JimSibley and bct. I'm not sure that blotchy, mostly-sanded-off paint qualifies as patina. Go ahead and make it nice while you're at it.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^Exactly! Patina is defined as weathering and polishing due to use and wear.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. KKrod

KKrod

Here is an idea on the hood. I really like this car.

DSC_1943 (1).jpg

mrquickwhip, gnichols, brEad and 4 others like this.
  13. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I love it I think a hood would look so killer on the Old devil any buddy out there photo shop

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. KKrod

KKrod

Another picture from the front.

2 4 13 012.JPG

mrquickwhip, brEad, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  15. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Will it fit a stock hood? Or even just the top?

Just my opinion but a hood my take away some of the raw "badassness" your car has.

17. 4freek

4freek
    from Canada

Wow, nice, really love keeping original paint. It's only that way once
    I see you have a bike in the background also
    Like my original paint 1917 racer. I would never think of repainting

001.JPG

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

With all do respect, you paint is to nice to mess with! I wouldent be man enough to mess with that.

But this ol' devil dosent have paint that good, not even primer as nice and uniform as your 1917 henderson paint.

birdog and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Well at some point once it's super reliable knowing myself it will get painted lol. But that's down the road. I don't think I could afford the materials to paint right now even if I wanted to. Luckily I am just stoked to have it!

20. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Once snow brakes I am actually ready to test drive it! I will post some more photos later this week!

brEad, bct and volvobrynk like this.
  21. I love it man. The wheelbase is neat just the way it is.

Runnin shine, volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  22. I've been quietly admireing this from the first post. I specialy like that you took the time to contact the prior owner/builder. Being near 70 and a Hot Rodder all my life I know how he felt. You talked about opinions a while back and it looks like they all have been covered pretty well so far. What made me step in now is the last few photos you've put up and no one has asked or said anything yet. Maybe I should wait a bit longer but just can't. I am so anti Electric Fan and it appears there is actually one on your Roadster. Are my Old Eyes failing me? If not are you actually going to leave it? Those Damn things didn't even come around till early 70's. I hated them then and it's only gotten worse over the years. 90 percent of them are mounted wrong and common sense went out the window with them. I know you live in a Hot region of this fine Country but don't use that for an excuse to Spoil the erra of that fine piece of History. Just tell me I'm seeing things, I can take it.
    The Wizzard

brEad, volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  23. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Lololololol yes currently there is one there and no it is not staying. But I am going to have to get creative with the fan set up so I have decided to run it for the first month or so to get me going. I can assure you I hate it more then you! So with that said and open to options here. From what I gather most channeled roadster weren't running a fan. I know this one always ran somewhat hot he said and so did my grandpa's. I also red Fred purple roadster ran hot too. So my plan is to run a double pulley off the generator and some how come up with the smallest belt ever. But open to options guys.

brEad and Stogy like this.
  24. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

It actually feel good to get it out there in the open. It felt like one of those lies that you keep hiding and feel Gilty about lol.

brEad likes this.
  25. Not sure if your aware of the New version of my Old Channeled roadster or not. It will run a manual Fan and no it wasn't easy, but you can do it. I'll actually try to help if needed. Anything to get rid of that Damn Thing! Here are a few photos. My #1 goal is to make things look like they are stock parts. It's a receint project so I still remember what I did,,kinda. My motor presented a issue of it's own. It ended up being a 38 motor with Odd crankshaft end. It runs a Helmet style dist. (another issue) both belts are wide belts (erra correct) and everything clears. Fan is 1" behind Rad. I actually used pulleys from Ford and built my own arbor to get spacing I needed. Here is a few photos so you can see what I'm talking about. I still need to actually mount the fan to manifold but it's all there.

20151009_083316.jpg
    P1010249.JPG
    The Wizzard

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't let the snow stop you from hav'n some winter fun with that cool roaster.

[​IMG]

27. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Very cool car I love channeled cars! Well I will take some pics tonight. Are you running off the bottom pulley. Because that's my main problem. It's sitting in its stock location on the 33 chassis and as I am sure you are aware you have to trim the fan pull off so it doesn't hit the cross member. That why I was thinking of running it off the generator?

28. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I also have the wide belt fan and a few pulleys to play with.

29. Took me a little while to find these. Just to see mock up for belt spacing prior to making new arbor for pulleys. You may not have this much to do. Fan is driven off Crankshaft direct.

P1010156.JPG P1010157.JPG P1010158.JPG
    A crab style Dist. would have helped out a Ton.
    The Wizzard

birdog likes this.
  30. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

My problem is the end of my crank shafts bolt is literally right over the cross member. The only way I can make it work where the motor is at is if I come off the generator. I will post pics In a couple hours.