Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Old Devil" 32 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. 36brothers

36brothers

Idiot is a strong word, I say moron maybe.

No one will have a car like yours if you leave it, when you start "correcting" wheelbase etc. it will become like all the rest.

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is a very fine line between keeping it a survivor and fix things.
    And moron is still a harsh word!!

Broken is always broken, unique is not good nor bad.
    And despite I'm a die-hard "don't fu-c-k with a survivor" kind of guy, it would hurt me in the deepest part of my heart, if one unchannels a survivor, or change the wheel base, but fixing broken is imported!

If you don't take action in due time, even a survivor will disappear in to the ground, dust to dust, and you know the rest.

But I don't talk about painting it easter egg street rod maze/haze purple with silver metallic scalops and body line.
    I just say that charcoal primer like it was, will make it look like the original builder had or wanted. And it will to some extent make a survivor survive even long.

Just my two cents, calling a guy a moron is to me no different then idiot!

3. "Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you." Nobody's car is gonna' look like yours regardless of your choices.

You wanna' wash, wax, and polish fresh paint weekly, with the snap of a fresh rag and a big smile on your chest .... OR ... scrub the ole' car with just a shoulder shrug, scratch of your ass, Ajax and a brush ??

Message endorsed by the following "only original once guy". He's genius right ??
    upload_2015-12-10_11-27-58.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  4. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Cool car, I've seen many neat old hotrods on 33/34 chassis. I have the perfect chassis for sale if someone wanted to build something similar to what you have here, i mention it because it's rare to find a 33/34 chassis that had a 32 body or a model a body on it. It's an old hotrodded 34 chassis that's been z-ed in the back a long time ago and the wheel base shortened up to fit a 32 or model a. Here's a link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...in-the-day-1932-model-a.967754/#post-11287244

5. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

BTW. i'd leave the paint how it is too. :)

6. 36brothers

36brothers

Yah, I thought the wink wink would come thru.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

I'm definitely digging this one...

8. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Moron Idiot lol the great thing about hot rods is someone is going to call you that whether you paint it don't paint it. Small block no small block etc...... I rebuilt a couple wheel cylinders and bolted in the 39 zephyr tranny I will post some pics tonight. I am also on the last stretch of hand stitching the top back together. It's about an hour for every six inches. No fun at all

slimcat7m3, -Brent-, clem and 2 others like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

An hour for six? Holy that is persistent. Glad you take all the "experts" with a grain of salt.

10. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I love this top never seen one like it. Never used a thimble tell this top either

11. touring20

touring20

Wow , the fact that it is mounted on 34 frame and has custom body work that no one would
    Even think of doing now a days , locks the era it was built !
    I to have a roadster built in 1949 , and I am leaving what is left of the black paint "as is ! "
    I can't wax it , as I will get wax residue in the rust ! Let the clueless call it a rat . ( it's better than having a old hot rod called a dunebuggy ! Hoo Ha !!!) you have a real old school
    Survivor , enjoy ! I would make it safe , clean the hell out of it and blow minds at shows and cruise ins !

brEad and birdog like this.
  12. touring20

touring20

13. touring20

touring20

All the tickets this car earned ,street racing not to mention the windshield hight could have
    Been used for insulation to keep that" hellion "warm ! What a ratical cool old hot rod !

birdog likes this.
  14. onekarnut

onekarnut

I too need to add an opinon. I am 76 years young and was raised on a cotton farm----not much money to spend on a car. I remember the cars we drove and worked on had any number of either gray or red primer spots on the body where we were working/playing on them. When we got thru with the body work we would use a hand powered fly spray to put a full coat of primer on the car usually a dark gray. We did try to make sure the car was safe to drive. It mite take a couple of months or years before it got a shiney paint job, if ever. Dog drive the car it, is yours, make it safe to drive and drive the piss out of it and enjoy it. The only people you need to be concerned about what they think is your self. Do with the car what would make you happy. Opinions are like assholes everbody has one only some are larger than others

brEad, russellmn, AmishMike and 3 others like this.
  15. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_0678.jpg IMG_0677.jpg Sadly I am going to have to get two new wheel cylinders I thought I could rebuild them but the aluminum piece is broke. You would think with my junk Pile I would have another but no luck IMG_0675.jpg

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Body kinda looks like a half hour into one of those giant jaw breaker candies we used to get as kids

People ask ya what color it is tell it is called Jaw breaker. That ought to make the uppity street rodder types wonder....

18. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

That's exactly what it looks like

19. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_20150603_230048.jpg This was a couple months ago when I pulled the motor and tranny

20. Pete

Pete

One of my FAVE roadsters.... Perfect

21. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Pete I just found out my wife didn't ship off the check. It's now in the mail sorry brotha. By the way your coupe is one of my favorite coupes of all time. Bringing it to the hill climb?

22. touring20

touring20

The roadster reminds me of a old tough WW ll vetran test pilot I worked with at my first job
    You did not cross him , after the prototype b 24 crash changed his life ........

23. Jeff34

Jeff34

Birdog, congrats on the car! One of the best I've seen in quite a while. And thanks for posting all your "finds" in the car. I thought I was the only one who got excited when I found old stuff in the nooks of my truck. Keep the posts coming!
    Jeff

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. 1929rats

1929rats

wow....I really love this thing! Nothing cooler than a channeled deuce roadster!

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

1932-high-boy-hot-rod-snow.jpg Hope everyone is getting some hot rod parts today! Merry Christmas

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I got a Filter!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451073574.658224.jpg
    Never saw that coming, weird.

birdog likes this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Got some ! An Appleton spotlight, a pipe bender and a set of AN fitting wrenches

birdog likes this.
  28. mkebaird

mkebaird

Wow, love that tush - You're right, that car will tell you what to do

29. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

20151226_195942.jpg Found a NOS 40 standard gauge! Mine was roasted in the old devil.

30. pumpman

pumpman

B
    Boy, I wish I got that for Christmas, I have the card board display that that filter goes. Cool gift!

birdog likes this.