Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Old Devil" 32 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My point was if we keep rewriting history to meet current fads we will have no history left. Even a homebrew paint job would be more true to the mission statement of this site. It is getting farther and farther form its core.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I agree with @dumprat. The hard part is deciding weather or not a car is presentable or not. In my collection I have older restorations on some stock antique cars that were done almost 50 years ago my Dad and gramps and are showing their age. One of them has been freshened up with new paint about 15 years ago and another one looks like it could use it. No History there just old amateur restorations from the 60's. Tough thing to decide what to do on them.

3. KKrod

KKrod

It reminds me of Steve Wertheimer's survivor model a roadster.

cactus1 likes this.
  4. You can't re-write history, it is what it is.
    All you can do is add your own story.
    There is room in the traditional hobby we enjoy
    without all having to subscribe to a contrived bunch
    of rules like the Bloomington Gold Corvette guys!
    Anybody who has been on the planet long enough knows
    that in the "traditional" times of Hot Rodding, it was always
    "go fast first, paint second". There was always the kid whose dad had
    some extra money to spend on the kid's ride, and was the one
    who would pay for the paint job. Some kids came from less fortunate
    circumstances. They didn't have cash to paint their cars. Why do you think
    there are so many primered Hot Dods?
    My father painted his cars with a brush, before WW II.
    His father was a barber and didn't have the extra $
    Live and let live, have fun, do what turns you on.
    If it happened before '64, it can happen now!
    DONE

5. The owners of all these cars must be too cheap and lazy to paint them...

I'd walk right by a fresh painted car to look at a car with old paint...a soul and a history, any day.

@birdog it's your car do whatever you want. But any joker can paint a car, they only look like what you have now once

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. Hey Chris,
    Not to hijack a thread but.. You "get it"
    And mine can be used daily! 10700275_10202717126465745_7191687916352057701_o.jpg

mrquickwhip, jebbesen, brEad and 2 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Affirmative, history is not a "fad".

Tony Martino likes this.
  8. LOL
    @Chris I probably won't get around to even a primer job on my A before it hits the road (eventually yes of course) and not for historical reasons (although I will tell everyone that it is). That old cur will make your stuff pristine by comparison. :D

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know I've written this before and will put it out there again.
    Since i come fra a place where cars rust badly, I migth be a little colored/bias.
    But here go, at any given town in any given year or decade, there wil allways be a mother/wife/dad/girlfriend/employer etc. that makes remarks like this (i got it from my mom and dad):

As long as you live in this house (or in case of girlfrind; or sleep in my bed), I dont want that piece of junk standing in front of my house looking like that! And no more oil leaks in front of my house/paved driveway.

So a kid with semi-emty pocket had to pull out the old brush and get some primer or brush paint job. But majority of money went to engine/drivtrain, and maybe to some suspension parts, and then gas for the rest of the money, because even Hot Rodders had to go to work.

So no rust or faux patina for me, but with that in mind I would claim that Denni1989 did the rigth thing (with snoopy), and I still belive this needs a fresh coat of primer, and get back on the road, paint/primer is to far gone to do that little rod any favours.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Tony Martino likes this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sorry birddog I did it mean to clutter up your thread.

Fix your car however suits you, just don't do things to fit the fad just because.

volvobrynk and Tony Martino like this.
  11. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would get it running and driving, drive it for a while. After awhile you will be told by the car what to do next. I might replace the broken tooth in the grille, It might stand out like a gold crown though! I think the thing about unpainted cars remind the old timers of some of their "first cars" and their dreams of "fixing it up". Very Cool Car!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Tony Martino likes this.
  12. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

One thing I am finding that I love about the hamb is everybody expresses freely. Which makes me feel like I can too. And in all honesty I really haven't even wanted to paint her. And it would be a year or two before I really would even decide. But I love hearing everybody Thoughts keep them coming. My feeling is it took a long time for god to patina it this way it would be sad to change it. Doesn't mean I won't make changes overtime but for now it is going to stay looking old on the outside. And just clean her up! I don't care if it looks like it's worth 20 cents it's all about the feeling driving down the road. And some say it doesn't change the feeling but when I painted my roadster it became a different car for me and the way I felt about it. I want door panels and maybe I will make some but right now there is news paper jammed in the door from the 1940's and early 50's and that's just cool

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell yeah birdog, don't forget it's a 32 and for whatever reason I don't think there'll ever be a day again where even an original cotter pin or washer off a 32 isn't worth 20 cents.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

People need to google a definition of the word "patina"

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[​IMG]

It's your call dog.

Tony Martino and birdog like this.
  16. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad you finally started a thread on this great car so all could enjoy it.

birdog and Tony Martino like this.
  17. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I am not against paint at all or stuck with fads I have grown up around this stuff so it's not a new thing to me in fact my Dad and grandpa would love to see a fresh coat of primer on it. But I love seeing the story told with different colors of paint. Atleast for now Anyways I don't see it as a fad I actually think a ton of old hot rods were ruined when they painted them easter egg colors in the 80's and 90's. And they thought they were saving them. And I think a bunch have guys have saved cars out of fields painted them and made them look amazing. At least this way I can always go forward never back. I feel like it's a jacked up painting and I am not sure I want to fix it yet lol it kind of has character. Not that there aren't things I don't like about it. Cause there are a ton. But I really feel the car will tell me what to do. But your right it's not what they would have done I am well aware lol told all the time by my grandpa. The funny thing is they built them as cheap fast hot rods and a lot of them now want either Bone stock or cragars and candy apple red paint jobs. Both fine with me to be honest makes mine look more unique and tells a story.

18. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Lol never I love every bodies comments and advice! I am very open minded about it all. Not that I will be swayed one way or the other lol but I will go with my gut and eye. And on somethings close my eyes lol

volvobrynk and Tony Martino like this.
  19. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

This is the registration of when it was last registered

Attached Files:

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Still like your idea of locating the rear wheels within the original design radius of the body...
    that's the only thing that looks 'out of place'...

timwhit likes this.
  21. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Here's some news paper I pulled out of the door

Attached Files:

22. snowroutes

snowroutes

Man how awesome! Maybe some day I can find A good rod of my own. I had a 29 coupe that I was going to make into a coop stir but I ended up selling it. Now I'm trying to find a model A or a model A pickup or even a 35 36 Ford pickup. But there's not much in Oregon and unfortunately everybody thinks what they have is gold. Good luck with the car you're lucky one

23. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Ya it's still out there. so I am going to close my eyes to that while I drive it around then if it kills me I will fix it.

24. Love the look!

birdog likes this.
  25. HA! Yeah, right.

birdog likes this.
  26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

You would find the longer wb gives a much better ride.

27. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

That's what my buddy Marion told me and I am guessing 6" longer will Def finely help

28. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

What if I add a hood with 35 sides? Any opinions? Maybe hood tops

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

A top maybe. 35 sides are gonna look wonky. Don't ya think?

30. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

My first thought was yes but with the leaned pillar and modify the bottom of them to fit the rail it might look posed off or it might look awful I will track one down and do a little test fit. Just spit balling since there is a lit gap between the firewall I am not in love with

volvobrynk likes this.