Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old DETROIT AUTORAMA picture thread, what do you have ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 18, 2010.

1. 231ramona

231ramona

That's fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.

2. 231ramona

231ramona

Thanks Harms Way,

Here is a couple of pictures of it when I sold it to the original builder, Jerry Davies, and some more of it when he was building it back in the 50's. I hope he still has it. The pink ones are when I found it back in 92.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. colesy

colesy

Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but where was Jerry Davies from? I have this photo which looks to be the same roadster from London Ontario in 62-63 with owner Joe Jackson. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. 231ramona

231ramona

That's my old roadster for sure. I bought the car from a guy in (Stockton)? Canada in Jan. 1993. Jerry got in touch with me regarding the car but I can't remember where in Canada he was from as he was living overseas when I sold him the car. He shipped it to his son's house in Phily, I believe. This really stirs up some memories and I'll try to come up with some more info. This was a really neat car and I sure wish I had kept it. To me, there's nothing more interesting than the history on this old rods.

5. colesy

colesy

Ok, and thanks for the information. Here's another shot of the roadster.

Attached Files:

6. colesy

colesy

On the subject of Autoramas, I thought some might enjoy this column from February 1969 which was featured in a Race publication up my way called Wheelspin News. Dear Gabby describes the local car show from a lady's perspective. Funny stuff.

Attached Files:

7. 231ramona

231ramona

COLESY,

I bought the roadster from Bruce Gibson, Strattford, Ontario, Canada. He had the car for many years but I don't know who he got it from. I remember it changing hands many times.

8. colesy

colesy

Dang! My cousin Lum from Stratford just past away last year. He was an old Hot Rodder from the 50's onward and knew everything there was to know about the local scene. I have his old photo albums. I'll look and see if I can find more on the roadster. Thanks again.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Harms Way

Harms Way

Very,... uh,... interesting !
    [​IMG]

10. 231ramona

231ramona

Great! I know the car was around that area for quite a while and changed hands many times but I only know the builder and the person I bought it from. It would be great to see some more pictures and learn more of the cars history. It was a rock-solid car and all the lead work from the 50s was perfect. It had a 50 Olds 303 with three 97's a 40 transmission and dash and was channeled over a kicked 32 frame. Even though it had a custom built 6 inch thick radiator, it ran hot and I was never able to solve the problem. Just not enought air flow and I really don't like electric fans on period cars. I had it at the 1994 and 1998 Street Rod Nationals and it got a lot of attention.

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

12. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

I think this was 2000 or 2001. Few cars amd a pic of my buddy Joey goofin around with one of the displays..

Attached Files:

13. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

..cc

Attached Files:

14. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

.cc

Attached Files:

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

WOW !,... Great shots !,.. I kind'a like this 36'. :D
    [​IMG]

16. Well, who is going to the 2011 Autorama and are you going to show?
    Ron
    p.s. I can hardly wait !!

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

I will probably be there as always,..... But there is a better than good chance, I won't see any of you,... This thread should explain it.

"In the still of the Night", Detroit Autorama , In the Witching hours,......
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450664

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,... I was kind'a holding off on this one,... But Pro Enfo inspired me,....(as he usually does) It's actually a picture of a picture under glass that I would really love to scan,.... This is Frank Taubitz with his 36' Ford Custom,... And the "3rd place overall" trophy at the First Detroit Autorama.:D

[​IMG]

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  21. FASI

FASI

Dennis, here are some early Autorama pictures. They are in the 1957 to 1960 era. If this works I will add more.

Attached Files:

22. FASI

FASI

More Autorama. This was I believe one of the first showings of the El Matador. A young Bill Cushenberry can be seen down in front of the car. The '40 Mercury was Jerry Yatch's done by Bill Hines if I recall. Restored a few years ago by Detroit's Harry McAuliffe and recently appeared on the lawn of Pebble Beach. One of the best looking Merc's in my mind.

Attached Files:

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Keith !,..
    Great shots, Thanks so much for posting them !,.... Your memory is 100% correct,... Give me a shout sometime,... Dennis

24. FASI those pictures sure bring back memories. The shots of the El Matador were about 15 years before I owned it.
    The 40 Merc was the car that hooked me on cool cars. It was spectacular and Bill Hines did the super straight black body.
    The 52 Ford convert drove by my school one day and I just stared out the window at it as the steam curled off the dual exhausts that wintry day.

25. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

The "El Matador" custom is going to auction @ the Ft Lauderdale Beach Collector Car Auction on January 7,8,9 2011 at the War Memorial Auditorium

Here's a link:
    http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/custom/1154862.html

26. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

A couple of years ago, I bought a few old photos from an estate sale on the East Side. There were some photos of a 56 T-bird called AGGREVATION. It was owned by Leon "Red" Calvert from Center Line, MI. (custom bumpers, 390/4-spd, Americans, etc)

Not sure of the year, but I'd guess late 60's.

Attached Files:

27. ==========================================

we have the "silver Bullet " Dragster that is on Joe Stevens photo gallery.It was at Cobo around 1967.

Rick

28. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Attached Files:

29. 33Tudor

33Tudor

A Couple more from 2009!:cool:

Attached Files:

30. portage

portage
    from Montana

Here's a couple from the 1960 Auto Show that I took while in Detroit for the National Drags. Have a few more, but lets see how this works out first.
    PLW

Attached Files: