Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old DETROIT AUTORAMA picture thread, what do you have ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

What many of you might not know, Frank also loved "Horseless Carriages" He had several over the years,.... I cant remember exactly,... but I believe this is a 1903 Cadillac in original, un-restored condition,... sometime in the late 70's early 80's.
    Frank, of course,.... won best in class.
    [​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Dennis cool stuff. As to the Cadillac it is a Model B so it is probably either a 1904 or 1905. The dog house is a dummy as it was still a single cylinder under the seat (a Model A with a new body). I always remember Frank at Greenfield Village meet with his Locomobile (I cannot remember the year maybe 1898, maybe 1900-nice car and nice guy nevertheless).-Jim

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. It is amazing how few pictures are available from the Autorama. All those years and just a handful pictures have surfaced. I remember a friend by the name of Gene Custer had a beautiful 1950 Ford Convertible Custom and I would sure love to see pictures of it.
    I know that Robert Hegge used to photograph many of the shows, but his negatives seemed to have disappeared with a nephew.
    When I had the El Matador, he sent me photos of it from every angle and I know he must have shot most of the showcars of the day, and it seems these have all disappeared..

4. [​IMG] Re: Ron Limbrick's "GHOST RIDER"

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->"As you can see, the Frank Mack roadster had a very big influence on me. I really liked the way they sat so low in the car and this was a big factor why I chose the Zipper body". The "Ghost Rider" will be at Detroit in Feb and I sure would have liked to have met Frank!
    Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  5. Harms Way

Harms Way

I know that the Locomobile was a 1901, and he also had a 1902 Covert,.. I ended up having to move them a few times for Frank,...
    Frank put both of these cars up straight on there rear wheels in his shed with the front axles tied to the rafters with thick leather straps,.. to save room.

I have pictures around here somewhere, But I don't want to make this a thread about Frank alone,... (maybe someday I will post a number of the
    Pictures from Franks Cigar box, that he gave me as we were cleaning out the house on Randall)

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am hoping some people that have pictures from the Detroit Autorama over the decades, will scan and post them,... Like I said, what better place than on the HAMB ? I have several more,.. but will hold off posting them until this thing gets going,... If it falls flat,... well,... I'll just enjoy the rest of the pictures myself,...:eek::cool::cool::cool::D

7. Never2low

Never2low

I can think of one.....The lobby at Cobo! Really, this would be such a cool display, showing what's changed and what thankfully hasn't changed, over the years.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I have a few from 1955, 1960, then from 70's and later. I early pictures are from Patrick Slevin who restored Tommy Fosters 32 roadster. I'll have more afetr I do some cropping.

Attached Files:

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and RileyRacing like this.
  9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here's two pictures from the 1955 Autorama of my Brother's roadster. We know it was owned by Dick Moraniec when it was Buick powered and stored away in the late 50's. Who owned and built it prior to that?

Attached Files:

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Pat is a very good friend of mine, and a all around great guy,... In fact, I have to ship a little something out to him at "El Rod Ranch" this week.:D

OK people,... this is the kind of stuff I am talking about. Great job !

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here is a picture of the 1953 Show Poster,....
    [​IMG]

Our MHRA sight is at www.mhraonline.org

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

The Forton brothers, Autorama 1958
    [​IMG]

^ The young thin guy on the right is Dick Forton in 1958,.. He is now,..and has been for a Loooong time, the Autorama Show chairman,...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

^ LOL My mom use to cut the top of Dad's head off too :D

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

I know all you folks are scanning your Autorama pictures,..getting ready to post them,...(Denise may have gotten sidetracked looking at all those guys butts she took pictures of, Hey Denise,.... Snap out of it !,.... just think of what those butts look like now,... That ought to bring you back to reality :eek::D )

Here's one more to prime the pump (as it were),...
    [​IMG]

15. terry48435

terry48435

I knew the guy that owned this car. His last name was Hooten I think and lived in Hazel Park,Mi.

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Last years Autorama,....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or is it ? :D
    [​IMG]

17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here's the rest of the early pictures that I have, some are from 1955 and others from 1960. I hope others can dig out some early pictures, there has to be more out there.

Attached Files:

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Don't hold you breath sweetie waiting for me to scan and post. I won't have the time till after the first of the year. Next time your in the metro Detroit area stop by and I'll show you what I've been up to lately......my new kitchen, and since you've seen the old one you'll certainly appreciate the new. :cool:

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great pictures !,.. lets keep them coming,... Don't let this thread die on the vine !!!!

[​IMG]

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Got any cookies in the jar ???? :) and maybe a extra hug ?:D

(looks like I might have to come down this week for one of those events, we all hate to go to. If I can break away, I give you a call,.... )

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's funny that you should mention cookies as I just finishing baking 19 pounds of dough about an hour ago BUT unless you get here before the AM there won't be any left as they are being sent out to HAMB pals that have been sending me logo'd shop rags for my kitchen window treatments.:D

A fews hours heads up regarding your arrival and I might be able to whip you up a batch. In any events there is never a shortage of hugs.;)

Stogy likes this.
  22. Can we get back to Cobo Hall pics ?

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Patience is a virtue,...:cool:

This one might hurt some eyes,....a little :D
    [​IMG]

24. Here are a few from the late 60's.

Rick

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and ratrodzrcool like this.
  25. And more
    Rick

Attached Files:

26. last for now;
    If anyone has the "Silver Bullet Dragsters" pic from this show,I'd like to see them..around 1967-1968

Rick

Attached Files:

27. Ok..found this one also...
    One from Cobo,and other from Street Rod Nationals held at the fair grounds.
    Rick

Attached Files:

28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

1939fiat Thanks for posting. I was at Autorama the year of your pictures, must have been about 7 years old. I remember seeing the Coke Machine, even got the model car of it (still have it). Also remember the Zingers, have a model of the Vette one too(still have that too).

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,... Lets hear those scanners buzzing !

[​IMG]

30. therein1951

therein1951
    from onsted mi.

Dennis, I have some old autorama pics. Oldest is 1956. I was in it across from the a bros model a grasshopper. I am in Florida for the winter. I'll get back with you in the spring. Dwight

Harms Way likes this.