Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old custom painting techniques

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Jan 30, 2022.

1. BJR

BJR

Remember cobwebbing, covered in another thread here. Blow dots, or freak dots. Lace, smoke, metal flake, candy, and others that I missed. Let's get all of these in one thread. Tell how it was done with the old paint and how to do it now with the new paint. We have enough old painters to explain the old ways, and enough young painters that know how to do it with the new paints. So please share.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'll help .... how about 36 coats of lacquer, gas sanded every 4th coat ?

BJR, Mark Grabo, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  3. safetythird

safetythird

What is gas sanding?

BJR, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  4. Wet sanding with gasoline.

BJR, Just Gary, loudbang and 2 others like this.

5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

To begin, old wood carriages were brushed on. Then when dry, they were kerosene rubbed all night long. As heard from the horses mouth.

BJR and loudbang like this.
  6. Ya mean like these?:D:cool:
    tips01.jpg tips02.jpg tips03.jpg tips04.jpg tips05.jpg tips06.jpg tips07.jpg tips08.jpg tips09.jpg

7. Will be following along. Not sure I can add much other than some of the easy stuff like flames, scallops, panel jobs, etc. I worked for a couple guys that taught me lots of custom techniques, but most of it would be 70’s through 90’s custom paint stuff and not necessarily considered traditional. I do plan to try some things I haven’t ever done soon on my sons 60’s inspired 63 C10 build, so look forward to anything I can learn.

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

In my book, all of this custom painting tricks are for those vehicles and vehicle owners who own a close to stock looking vehicle, maybe lowered, chrome wheels, door handles removed, fender skirts, ect. On vehicles were there is some to a lot of sheet metal modifications these trick up paint jobs just take away from the finish product. I am not against these paint tricks but everything has its place.

BJR and Just Gary like this.
  9. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’m a fan of custom paint. Watson style and such.

BJR, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Me too that is the first thing that catches my eyes. :)