Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Chrome makes everything better. Let's see some...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 15, 2017.

1. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_6992.JPG IMG_6993.JPG IMG_6891.JPG Like it says.
    Something about old chrome....
    My 29 has lots of chrome, all of it new and done here on old parts. But, given the choice, I'd have all old chrome.

Elcohaulic and Speedys Garage like this.
  2. That T chassis is cool. What's the story???

3. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_6994.JPG
    I saw it at Turlock. It was complete with the body evidently sold in pieces. Pretty cool, scary hot rod! Had a V8 60 in it.

cactus1 likes this.

4. JimSibley

JimSibley

Old chrome headers I just got.

Attached Files:

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. j3harleys

j3harleys

All the chrome on this car was done in the late 60's at Denver bumper. All the engine accessories and pretty much every thing under the car as well.

Attached Files:

7. alchemy

alchemy

Bengine2.jpg

Here's where I used many of the old chrome flathead parts I collected over the last three decades. Pan, pumps, generator, air cleaners, oil filter, etc.

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

IMG_0650.JPG The axle and spring were chromed in the 80's - still holding up well. IMG_0796.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Old chrome is fine and nice if it has been maintained and stood the test of time well.
    Old chrome also has the benefit of being done well in a lot of cases and has a deep lustre that just can't be matched by some of the newer chrome plating.

Chrome is like any other finish that needs to be cared for and protected when it isn't it just looks like rough rusty peeling old junk.
    And that's not a look that I find appealing. Maybe someone else may.
    * Edit : Apparently I'm not entitled to have an opinion on this so please accept my apologies :D:rolleyes:

quick85 likes this.
  10. ^Aspergers...

I have some old chrome that I'm saving for a project but I will refrain from posting it because it is not perfect like Larry.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

20170216_104121.jpg 20170216_104133.jpg
    Found this old chrome tube axle the other day. Chrome is in decent shape, to bad it was just left outside in the dirt. Somebody put a good amount of effort into this setup. I'll be using the axle under a drag car I've been collecting parts for and the rest goes into the hot rod pile.

Speedys Garage likes this.
  12. Duellym

Duellym

[​IMG]

Old chrome 50 Plymouth bumpers, I believe it's the original chrome. They were saved for my jailbar ford, I figured out they don't fit the hard way.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Von Franco was looking for 'old chrome' for his 'Kookie Kar', he found a chromed '37 Ford V860 tube, nice chrome, Turlock swap meet: $10!
    By the time he collected everything, he turned and had it all rechromed. Nice job.

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Probably 50% of the chrome on my roadster is old chrome. All 4 of the 97s and scoops, I didn't even repaint the red in the steel scoops that I found at different times, Water pump, Regulator cover. Front and rear Backing plates, Front shocks and Mopar brackets, most of front spring and all of rear spring, motorcycle horn and Headlight rings. Oh yeah all 4 of the early Baby Moons are old chrome and have a few dings in them. I actually had a guy say "I would really like to know the story of the ding in that hubcap". I had to tell him No story. The windshield surround I found wrapped in old newspaper at a swap. Polished up nice. Steering shaft cover is old exhaust pipe.

Mike a lot of people have good intentions of building an old looking rod but then in the end can't stand to do it. Franko had to weld on the radius rod brackets then he had to rechrome the front axle. Another builder here that built a perfect '50s style 32 roadster and mounted the headlights high like they had to do back then I see later he lowered them down. My guess is he just couldn't stand the look of it.

Gary

Gary project finished.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

SANY0001.jpg IMG_0629.jpg

Jet96, Moriarity, clunker and 4 others like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Always a motivation to see your T, Rebel.;) I REALLY needed that tonight.

Blue One likes this.
  16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Fred I needed that too.

Soul. I ike some soul in my cars. I've got a friend that builds beautiful cars. He is what i call a finisher. Details. He is into details and finish. But he usually leaves some soul in his cars. One 32 sedan has original upholstery. V8 auto air flat belts but old fragrant upholstery. His 32 three window new chassis and suspension everything show perfection but original woodgrain dash. Soul of that rod.
    I actually just saw a beautiful 29 A roadster at a Danville Dukes breakfast 40 Ford dash, red&white tuck and roll. Everything perfect but no soul.
    Don't forget the soul.

Larry it doesn't surprise me that you don't GET old chrome. You are entitled to that. A lot of people don't. You either get it or not. Imperfection.

bowie and clunker like this.
  17. It's really kinda dirty

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

tfeverfred likes this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

19. MidwestOldie

MidwestOldie

How about a Chrysler grill.

Grill Chrome.jpg

Jet96 and Chavezk21 like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What is this perfect thing ?
    Even when it's new my RPU will be far from perfect.
    Old chrome with some pits and light rusting that can be polished off is not a bad thing. It has some charm just like a few rock chips are badges of honor or signs of use.
    I can appreciate that. All vehicles as they get used develop signs of that use and age. Just like us Gary :D
    As far as soul goes Gary, I believe builders and owners add a little of their own souls and contribute to the overall feel of a car too as time goes by.
    Its like that for your roadster I think.

After that can come neglect and outright rusting and peeling of plating and rusty patches of paint missing and we are moving into the dreaded "patina" territory.

That is what I don't like, if I have explained it well enough, maybe not.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You've explained your feelings perfectly Larry. I agree that their is a point where "patina" just turns into old pealing chrome and rust.

That being said I love the trend now of old cars in all stages of deteration being rescued and made to run and drive. If they could just tell stories.

Gary

If those paint bubbles could tell a story. Two trips to Bonn. spinning brodies in the wet salt. No you can't get all the salt out. Don't go unless you are willing to pay the consequences.

SANY0122.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  22. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love old chrome! This super rare 47 Monarch lion is going on my 47 Ford.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ravedodger and Jet96 like this.
  23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Original from '56 -

24. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

25. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpg Picked up this old chrome dropped axle ,looks like an A axle,,with RHD spindles for $100 ,,it must have had some Aussie installed history ,,some of the chrome has been sanded to try and remove it as chroming of suspension not allowed here,,,,but I'd still like to run it,,,

Jet96, cactus1 and ss34coupe like this.
  26. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dad nickel plated the lower trim on the center plash apron. The original pot metal was shattered. The lower part is a bronze replacement. His nickle matches the original chrome on the rest of the car. The new horns are a little too shiny.

Jet96 likes this.
  27. The backing plates on my Model A.
    IMG_0505.jpg

The rear end out of my buddies A roadster pickup. Vintage chrome.
    IMG_3923.JPG

Elcohaulic and Jet96 like this.
  28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

16584742_1229740963729891_2384334880872857600_n.jpg
    Just got this- old chrome olds- :)