Register now to get rid of these ads!

OLD Chicago Industrial Tools Drill Press-where to find info/parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Mar 2, 2009.

1. slepe67

slepe67

I had a good friend, who owns his own hot rod business, give me a bench top drill press, and I'm sure it hasn't been used since I was born (1972). I figured I would spif it up, and took it apart and found a few things.

One= the motor is shot. I'm ASSuming that a reputable alternator/starter motor rebuilder can handle this???

Two= no belts. I have the old belts, will try to see if I can find replacements.

Three=the spring that assists the chuck to go up and down is broken. Where can I find one?

I googled this thing for an hour, and the above pic is the only thing close to what I have, and is almost identical.

Info as follows:
    CHICAGO INDUSTRIAL TOOL CO.
    MODEL NO: G-14
    SERIAL NO: F 0240
    12 SPEED DRILL PRESS

http://www.recycledgoods.com/item/25350.aspx

I'm media blasting and painting it now, looks SWEET! Too bad it's a 100+ pound paperweight at the moment...

also, while I'm at it, where is a good source to get some FAT (1 inch or so) drill bits for this? What TYPE should I get? Bang for the buck here....Harbor Freight didn't have anything remotely close to what I need. I am fabbing up roll cage gussets, gun drilling steering column, etc and could use some bits to get the ball rolling once I get the drill working.

That about does it for today, thanks again, JL

2. krooser

krooser

You can buy a new motor from many sources but the old one would be cool to keep and rebuild. look for "electric motor rebuilders"...

www.practicalmachinist.com lots of vintage info...

3. An identical unit has been a staple in my father's shop since before i was born. Just so you know it is a Taiwan import. The motor capacitor took a shit in the mid 70s, so it has been a hand-start operation ever since. And the motor switch crapped out in the late 80s, so he rewired it to the light switch.

I don't think the motor is really any thing to value too highly, and it is likely cheaper to replace rather than rewind. If you are bent of fixing it though, any decent sized city has at least a few electric motor service outfits that service the billions of motors that maintain the american way of life. Belts are available at the hardware store, sold as fractional horsepower V belts. You'll likely end up rigging up a spring from the hardware store as well.

Enco is a good source for the home hobbyist and light industrial work. www.use-enco.com

While it is not some big Clausing or radial arm drill, it is a damn good tool.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  4. Get a motor at W.W. Grainger, or a motor rebuild shop may have used ones. If the spindle spring is a flat wound type, you might be able to rework it. What sort of chuck?,,,if it's 1/2", you won't be able do much over 3/4", if that,depending on speed.

5. slepe67

slepe67

cool thanks for the ideas. I'll post pics when it's done

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

7. slepe67

slepe67

hmph, I guess there really IS a forum for EVERYTHING! Thanks.

I took in the motor to get it rebuilt. $90, done in 1 day, gave me a new power cord, and switch to make it work. Unfortunately, I'm out of town on business, so I can't tell ya how it works.

I also got new belts at ACE hardware, for about $10 I think.

I have all of it but the motor painted and assembled. Looks TONS better than it did. Time to get to work on it when I get home. Now I can make all my motor mounts, gussets, gun drilled shit...it's gonna pay for itself (if it works).

Thanks for the help fellas, I appreciate it!

8. Retrorod

Retrorod

Let me know when you are ready, I'll snap a few photos of my old HF drill press that I "modified" to slow it down a bunch by adding an idler pulley set. The old girl has drilled a zillion holes, will drill alot more before it's all said & done.

9. slepe67

slepe67

cool, thanks bro!

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Go to Ozark Woodworker he has manuals and parts list, maybe not for your exact think but for example I got a parts list for my 14"Atlas that needed work and that spring you are talking about. The spring is called a "Quill return spring" I googled that and somebody sells them for 20 bucks. The guy at Ozark is great and answered all questions. As far as motor get a new one and adapt.