Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Chevy Neon Dealer clock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MyCrustyVW, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Hello! This clock was given to me by a friend I used to work with. When the old dealer shut down this was saved. Does anyone know anything about it? I see no manufacturer's name on it or anything. It looks old for sure, the cord is rubber coated but cracking. Nothing came up on Google. I did see though, a number of similar ones, same shape, frame, even pattern on the glass with a multitude of companies being advertised. This is the only Chevy one I came across so far. Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

kiwijeff and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. Is the Super Chevrolet Service hand painted? HRP

3. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

It actually looks like some kind of round sign as the clock face. There are holes at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock with brass looking rings in them? Doesn't look hand painted.

4. It'd probably be reverse painted on glass so not perfectly obvious that it's hand painted.

5. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

The only part on the glass are the blue lines and arrow things going around the outer perimiter.
    Here's the same clock, different colors with the face looking like a sign as well.
    [​IMG]
    Whenever I find a picture of one there's no information who made it.

6. Friend has one. It was given to him by a family who owned a Ford dealership in the 30's. The manufacture name was on the neon ballast.

7. Call Mike or Frank at the "Pickers"...They seem to know all about these things

8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Hang on to it. It's worth some $$$. If you want to sell it, please contact me.

9. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll remove the ballast cover and take a look. I believe I will hang onto it, thank you!

10. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is really cool! It would make great garage art.

11. Brass rings through it usually implies it is porcelain enamel.
    Used so it didn't crack or chip when fastened as a sign.

12. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Thanks everyone very much for all the information! I'm glad I managed to save this, now I need an old Chevy to go with it, maybe another 59!

13. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Ask "Don Long" on the garage journal, he is real big on old signs....

Lynn W.

14. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Thanks! I'll find him and ask him about it.

15. soda4u2

soda4u2

The clock may be old, but the super Chevy sign is reproduction. It has been added to the face. If it were original The Chevrolet sign and the part with the numbers would be one piece. If you take the glass off and remove the Chevrolet sign ,there may be an advertisement under it. The original face would have been painted with the numbers and the then the advertisement would have been added. There are some Ford clocks floating around the country now , built the same way, they are total reproduction!! Just remember just because you find something in your 93 year old grandmas trunk in the attic. Doesn't mean anything! She could have put it in there last year!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  16. soda4u2

soda4u2

If you look close at the coke clock in this thread the four mounting screw are outside the numbers and there are not 4 holes on the advertisement like the Chevy clock.

17. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Thanks for the great replies! I had looked really closely at this thing and the Chevy part looks brand new but I know that clock was hanging right where it was at least 25 years. Still probably just a 25 year old repro. Either way it's neat, not like I was getting rid of it anyways. I'd be too nervous taking the front off, I might break it. But still.. curious what's behind that Chevy sign.. if anything! Thank you all for the replies!