Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Old cars used for fill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikeszcz, May 7, 2020.

1. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

My wife took these pictures last week of a local creek bed that used old cars for fill for a railroad bridge and I wanted to share it. No politics, no opinions just a couple pictures of old cars. Wish I could have been there back in the day to save a few of them!
    creek.jpg creek 2.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Good Ole Days...:eek:...That would be worth a shake your head walk but there was so much of it, what to do...I'm sitting here thinking of the genious who saved all them rocks by suggesting using ole jalopies instead...Thanks for sharing, again it would be great to go back for another looksy...it would be bittersweet no doubt...Thanks for sharing... @Mikeszcz

Jim Bouchard and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Just a bunch of Chevys. Nothing to cry about. ;)

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Fords are trailing Behind...:p

Nostrebor and chargin03 like this.
  5. CME1

CME1

I remember seeing the old car bodies being used to shore up the creek sides. In the 'OL" days there were lots of old car bodies and no one wanted them. It was just a good idea of how to get rid of the old cars away from the barns and fields!

warhorseracing and Stogy like this.
  6. Bummer

nunattax and Stogy like this.
  7. Thats a cryin' shame...:(

nunattax and Stogy like this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The poor old chevys were just too darn slow and got caught by the council to shore up the bank.

hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only time I can reckon when a body by fisher was successful stopping water rather than soaking it up.

10. Country Joe

Country Joe

Drove my Chevy to the levy.

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

Dubious engineering achievement.

Nostrebor likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I changed the title. this is supposed to be a place to get away from the problems caused by the virus

13. inspiration for the ad campaign "like a rock....."

blowby and TFoch like this.
  14. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Not used for fill but in a similar situation. This is a local car, it's been there as long as I can remember. The story goes it was winter and the guy went out and started the car then went back in his house. A few minutes later he heard a loud crash and came out to see this... e59b8f2064e18c126374333146a9e7b4.jpg

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been able to strip parts off of some cars used as landfill

nunattax, 54delray and Stogy like this.
  16. unfinished

unfinished

Kinda makes ya wonder....what are we doing now, that in 75 years or so, folks will look at with the same sense of bewilderment.

6inarow, rusty valley and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Toqwik

Toqwik

That Chevy has a rock crusher in it?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Fun thread until some snowflake gets all political on us...Is that a Studebaker President?..Looks more like a Commander.:)

19. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I remember when I was a kid dad buried a 40 Dodge sedan delivery for a storm shelter. It's probably still in the ground.

Studebakester likes this.
  20. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I worked in the Oklahoma panhandle in the late 60's and there were a lot of old cars in the ravines, shoved in there to stop erosion . I knew a guy that ran around the country side with a cutting torch salvaging what ever he could.

54delray likes this.
  21. 2935ford

2935ford

That's where all the '32 Fords went!

Xtrom and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the town had a great celebration. Music, clowns, TV cameras. Da people's came from far and wide to witness the unearthing of the classic cars they had buried 50 years previous for posterity.

Oh.............. crap.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

And I thought we were bad as kids empting our .22's into those abandoned old cars.

CME1 likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was pretty standard procedure around here for erosion protection on the creek bank. On the ones here the chassis had been stripped from them and it was just body shells that got put out there. Word was that the bodies didn't bring any money for scrap then and the scrap value was in the engine and running gear. I used to see old car bodies get burned out by the guys who worked at the dump up about 4 miles from my house so they could strip the bare copper wire out of them when they cooled off. Guys would roll them off the frames and haul them up there and dump them in the early 60's. The dump guys stripped and burned them out and then shoved them over the bank with the rest of the garbage. They let me buy some parts off one that they had that they hadn't burned yet when I was 16 and saw a guy haul it past the house on the back of a truck.

CME1 likes this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

The old auto wrecking yard was within the city limits. When they moved, a lot of old stuff got buried under the new hotel and parking lot. Was my favorite place as a kid.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. The state of Connecticut used many old cars for erosion control when they were building Interstate 91. I remember going to the river bank in Wethersfield, Connecicut, about 55 years ago, and I was surprised what showed up at low tide. Lots of early 1930's bodies, but hardly anything was salvageable. I felt then as I do now, what a waste.

Dave Mc and 1934coupe like this.
  27. I'd say it wasn't running when he got back. About a '70? '71? off-brand.

1934coupe likes this.