Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars, trespassing, cops....holy crap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Alright guys I usually dont posts these stories but this time I just had to share with everyone. I did get a few pics so bear with me on this one. Its interesting.

Back a couple of years ago I had a friend of mine tell me that he knew where there were ALOT of old cars out in the woods behind a cemetary in a small town not far from him. Hes about thirty miles from me so its not a long drive to scope things out. He tells me that hes related to the guy that owns them and it turns out that I know the old guy "fairly" well. My buddys a hard core car guy so I know he knows what hes talking about. I decide to check up on them and gave the owner a call. He tells me its cool to go look. I took a trip out there and sure enough they were out there, but I only saw a half dozen cars and they were all from the forties and VERY beat. What was really cool though was that there were stacks and stacks of old WWII ammo boxes and shell casings, just tons of old military scrap everywhere.
    Fast forward up to a couple of weeks ago. Im sitting around thinking about how Id like to have the Fulton visor that I saw on a 47/48 Buick that was out in that stash to put on my 47 Olds. I decide to call the old guy again and hit him up about it. His secretary tells me shes gonna find out some info and call me back. When she calls back she informs me that they cant sell anything bc its tied up in a family litigation but that I was welcome to go look. I figure I had better get out there and snap some pics before all this stuff disappears. I load up and head out. As im wandering along I spot a complete 46 Fleetline, walk a little farther and spot another one nearly identical to the first! Hmm...hadnt seen these before. I spot the ass end of a 49/50 Ford and just past that I come to a trail cut thru the woods. Down the path theres ANOTHER Fleetline that appears to be sitting under a shed or something. Upon close inspection I fnd that its not under a shed, its parked back to back to another car with another one sitting on top of it! I can see more cars in the woods but I heard what sounded like someone opening a hood or door or something out in the woods so I decided to get out. I didnt wanna run across someone out there with no one with me. but I had to get back out there another day. Yesterday was that day.
    Since it was a wet morning I figured it was a good morning for some photos. My new girlfriend and her little boy went with me. I thought about packing a pistol with me but decided not to since the weather was so funky I didnt think Id need it for anything.When we got to the cemetary I notice an older Ford pu parked just past the cemetary with no one in it. Strange. My girl asked me what she should do if someone showed up and asked what she was doing. I told her she had two options, make up some bs story and see how it goes over, or tell them the truth and see how it goes over! I gave her the guys name that owns the place and left her the truck keys. So I head out to find the stacked cars. I drooled for 15mins once I got up on them. 46 Fleetline, old Nash, 46 Packard (perfect grille), 41 Cadillac (perfect porceline manilfolds), 52 Merc, 41 Chevy coupe, etc etc etc. The trail keeps going, the cars keep going, so I keep going! by this time it started raining pretty good so I put the camera away. Thats about the time when my cell phone vibrated. It was my girl. She said that someone had pulled up behind her and was just sitting there. She was spooked so I told her to move the truck and that they may just want to get around our truck as we were in the lane. She pulled around the drive and they followed but when she got over to let them by they got over as well. She was freaked out at this point. Suddenly she starts telling me to get out of the woods, that someone in a white suit(?) had just walked into the woods were I went! WTF! OK, Im a country boy so being in the woods and having a sense of direction and how to get around is second nature to me. I start moving deeper into the woods, its raining so nobody gonna hear me moving along, Im dressed dark, and Im not touching ANYTHING. Cars after cars!! I dont know how many cars I saw along my way but OMG! I tell her to leave the cemetary, get back to the main highway, and get somewhere to wait on my call. I knew that by heading north through the woods Id come out on that highway and Id call her to come pick me up there. Got to a logging oad and could actually see the highway when my cell went off again. It was her. She infoms me that she is being pulled over by a cop! WTF again?! I told her to just be honest with him and call me back. She did. He wanted her to go back to the cemetary and for me to come out of the woods. Fuck! I told her to tell him to give me a lil time to head back up. Ok kool. I start my way back, trying to take in as much as I could along the way.
    Here's where it got stupid. My girl failed to call me and inform me that the cop had gone into the woods to find me and the other person! So Im sneaking along and who should I surprise? Yep, deputy dolittle. So now Im at gunpoint with my arms up and we go through the usual pat down. Glad I didnt bring that pistol! After that I get the usual, who are you and what are you doing out here...I told him the story, then he introduces me to the other person that was out there as the land owner! WTF tres?! So I tell that guy the story. Come to find out that he is also related to the guy that I was told owned the land. OK kool. They inform me that someone has been stealing scrap from there, ALOT of scrap apparently. So he makes a phone call to the guy that oiginally gave me permission to go out ther and lets the officer talk with him. I apologized to them for causing any problems and assured them that I wasnt their thief. So the officer puts me in the patrol car (front seat) till his chief could get there and speak to me. Chief gets there and I have to go through the whole spill again with him. By this time the other guy had left. The chief gives me the rundown on the whole family litigation and the scrap stealing. Come to find out that the younger guy that was out there is pretty much over the whole place and that its acres and acres of stuff out there! They question me about the other truck parked out there and I told them it was there when we arrived. He told me that it appeared my story checked out and that I seemed to know enough people to keep me out of trouble. I apologized again and loadded up to leave. On my way out I noticed that the cops were searching the Ford pu and I though itd be a good idea if I could get that young mans name that was actually over the property and give him a call to apologize to him again and just clear up any misunderstanding. The officer gave me his name and we were on our way.
    We got back into town and I gave the guy a call. When I told him who I was he was like "man, Im glad you called bc the guy that owned that other pu was out there in the woods with you! And he WAS stealing stuff!" HOLY shiiiit! This guy was super cool with me about everything. Told me not to worry about it and that he was actually glad I decided to make the trip out there or they wouldnt have caught that other guy. He also gave me his cell number and told me that next time I wanna go out there just to give him a call and he'd take me through it and show me the really neat stuff! Something about a "collection" of old Chevrolets sitting together and that we might be able to "work something out on parts or something". Anyways, sorry this was soooo long, but it turned out for the best. Through it all I only got 5 pics bc of the rain. I WILL get more though hopefully in next couple of weeks!

2. Ok guys my pics are huge. Anyone I can send them too and get 'em resized and posted?

3. Be careful, people there end up dead in the woods for no good reason (my bro-in-law is the first one that comes to mind)

4. KY Boy

KY Boy

Sounds like some of the old stories from when I lived in the mountains of KY. I think i got a little too close to someone's "weed" patch a few times...

Glad you got out safe!

5. Open an account on photobucket and link to there, Its alot easirer that way.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great story looking forward to pics. There are few things scarier than to have Deputy Dufas pull his gun! It is cause to crap!

7. That's GREAT!! Can't wait to see pics...

8. richie rebel

richie rebel

ok guys,lets see some flicks,wow what a story, pics,pics lol

9. BadLuck

BadLuck

Cool story..all I got to say is "Deliverance" :D....I could hear dueling banjos in the background while I was reading that! PICS?:confused:

10. zzford

zzford

Worse than being shot, you could have ended up like Ned Beatty in the movie Deliverance !!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

11. richie rebel

richie rebel

i'am picking up what your laying down!!!!!!

12. sharpe427

sharpe427

SQUEAL LITTLE PIGGY! WHHEEEEE.....WHHHEEEEE :eek::eek:

13. It was definately pretty high up on the spooky scale. It goes to show that even when you think you've got all your bases covered you never know what or who you may stumble across in situations like that! While I was being patted down by the cop I was standing with my back to him and looking down at a PILE of 30s model sheetmetal that had been cut up. Mostly the rear cornes of touring bodies and doors. Try to imagine walking up on the back half of some very large bomb cases, I mean VERY large. I coulda hid inside them! This place is unreal. In one of the pics you can see a military container in the background with some of the writing still on it. Cant wait to get back there.

14. dmac620

dmac620

Felt like I was reading a script to a movie. Looking forward to seeing the pics posted.

15. BOHICA

BOHICA

Glad everything worked out ok. Being from the mountains in TN, I've had a few experiences along those lines as well.

If those ammo boxes are in good shape, some of the old .50 cal boxes are worth a little bit of money to collectors. They're the ones with the latch on the long side/face of the box as opposed to the end on modern cans.

16. Cool story. One time a few summers ago, while visiting our daughter in Florida, I went
    hiking back thru a bunch of 40s and 50s cars in some woods. As I got back down the
    road a ways, there were dogs barking and looked like some kind of old house back in
    there. Apparently someone lived back there.....of course I turned around and returned to the car before finding out for sure.

17. Thanks for getting those pics up. Next time I get out there I will definately get photos of the ammo cans and shell casings. I found out that the man that originally owned the property was a trader with the military. Thats how he made his living, surplus goods and scrap.

18. good lunch read, we need pics, it's kind of like "Children of the corn" but in the woods with cars.

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

man,you got to go back and get so more pics,lots more pics !!!!! lol

20. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Since this is an estate settlement, the kids probably want to sell the land and pocket their share. Why don't you offer the guy like $10k for the whole lot and spark some interest? You could easily double your money and take the pick of the good stuff. Include the military stuff in the offer. Sell off the brass and stuff for scrap or to collectors and feather your bank account. You may just get lucky here.

21. This shit DOES look spooky ...

[​IMG]

22. IS THIS THE WEED STASH ????

[​IMG]

23. I think the biggest problem they're facing with this litigation is that they're sitting on a very large sum of money. There are 3 sisters involved and Im certain that they're each trying to come out ahead of the others. Id LOVE to own just a portion of the place but I know that we're dealing with large amounts of money here. I wish I could give you guys an idea of how big the place is. Theres an old grain mill on the property as well. With scrap prices the way they are coupled with the fact that the land is completely covered with timber I know that they stand to make out quite nicely.

24. LOL! Man, believe it or not theres another Fleetline hididng in that last pic. You can just barely see the bumper corner and rear window trim. Just gives an idea of how grown up it all is!