Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars that were/but never existed?!?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by sevenhills1952, Aug 12, 2020.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I know this is pre-1965, and one is, another is close.
    What I'm curious about are cars we knew existed, but either online information is wrong, or no records, etc.
    Here's one example: In 1964 my Dad (rip) bought his first new car (short version he got a cancer diagnosis...but thankfully survived until 88). Lynchburg Va had a Rambler dealership and he bought a Tarpon which was a prototype. Hopefully I'll find a picture. He had it maybe 6 months, Mom hated it. Too small, tiny back seat, no trunk lid, 4 speed, no ac, etc.
    He traded it back in ordering a 65 Ambassador 990 4dr, same 327 motor.
    Other (hope this doesn't get deleated) my mother in law bought a new 68 Chevelle SS427 4sd (wished I had it, but I do have her Nova and 55 BelAir she bought new).
    Apparently rare, or special order?
    Another car I've had well over 40 years they claim (car club) was never produced (it's a '66).
    Mods...please don't delete. Curious others stories of cars supposedly never made?
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2. Apparently the Tarpon was a pre-production prototype for the Marlin. Not sure how your Dad ever got a Tarpon as the manufacturers generally don't let prototypes escape out into the public domain. Are you sure he didn't have a Marlin? amnews_tarpon1.jpg OIP.jpg

3. Red car is a Marlin.

4. The '68 427 Chevelle was real. They were putting big blocks in the Chevelles as far back as '65. The very limited production '65 Z-16 396SS cars.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

No...not Marlin, which were made 65,66,67.
    I have a 64 American. The Tarpon was on same chassis. It was small, bucket seats, tiny back seat (brother was 15, I was 11) barely could fit. Tibbs Motors got it from a fellow from Lynchburg who got it from factory. Many years ago I met two guys from Kenosha who said prototype room they called the white room as they were always white which this was. 327 Rambler "mid block", Holley 4bbl, 4 speed w/overdrive. Spinner wire basket hubcaps. 14" wheels. Red shag carpet.
    Dad and I loved the car. Brother not into cars at all. Mom hated it.

Okie Pete and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Good friend's brother ordered a 67 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed. He let my friend drive it and we would double date. Of course, my friend didn't hold back once we got out of his brothers site! Always scared the girls!. I'm thinking it was 350hp (possibly 375, I'm thinking those were solid lifter motors?)
    I know it had a posi!
    M.I.L.s 68...427 she was a little lady but hot rodder at heart. We replaced cam/lifters, put a Holley 800 double-pumper, headers on it. Sure wish I had it...red/black vinyl.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Fun memories.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Modelafish

Modelafish

9. fordpatina

fordpatina

1939 lincoln continental cabriolet prototype