Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Cars open doors..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 15, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My Plymouth has literally opened hundreds of doors for me in life! I used to be involved in an insurance business geared to R.V.ers that required I get into the many R.V. communities throught the west. Getting a foot in the door and securing meeting times and such in these parks was always considered the hardest part of the job, especially for a "younger" guy like me. When I would rent a late model and drive into a park, rarely would the people I needed to contact talk to me. Just another slick sales man... Untill one day I broke the "rule" that had been handed me about driving my hot rod into R.V. parks - Suddenly, the people that wouldn't talk to me earlier were coming out of their office to see the car and ask questions about it. Perfect time for me to slide in and take the conversation where I needed it to be! Worked like a charm every time!

2. Thanks for the read. Great stuff!
    -Pat

3. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

Top Notch Story there pal...definitely a "FEEL GOOD" moment

4. oldthudman

oldthudman

In Houston I would have said 'no' to the displaying at the party, no to carting the VP home, and the 3 guy's would have car jacked you, shot you, raped the VP, and then shot her........stealing all your cards and $$$$.......

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You must live in the shitty part of town. I've often gotten help when I needed it.

Back to the story. Experiences like that are something the $50,000 Lexus guys will never get or understand. It's also why we must treat ourselves as ambassadors to the hobby when we're out.

6. truckjim

truckjim

So true. Brings back good memories.
    Great story Jive Bomber.
    Nas Car too! :D

7. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

That story made my day!

8. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Great story, i think we've all been in similar situations driving old cars.

9. You experienced a night of real American Graffiti.
    Thats a great story man.
    When are you starting on the movie script?

10. Good stuff now you have triggered all the fond memories of pushing older brothers 50 Chev panel, Stude R2, my De Soto, dads 52 jeep, and the countless vintage cars my body shop neighbor would re hab in the 60s and 70s
    Thanks I'm 8 years old again !

Naysayers buzz off

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. 3ree 5trips

3ree 5trips

Filling up the '38 ("Nigel") takes awhile because if I pull the trigger on the pump all the way, gas goes all over the fender, the ground, and me...so fill ups are slow. But, more times than not I get kind words or a cool story out of a complete stranger. And the ladies over 70 find me irresistible....so I tell my wife. HA.

12. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I really enjoyed the story, thank you.

13. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Back when the 53' Was still running. I was out for a drive doing the whole Woodward thing.
    I passed a car on the side of the road, guy kinda waved at me to stop. He's got a flat tire & the used car he just bought had no jack or spare. He only wanted a ride to the gas station to get a repair kit and was going to leave his wife with the car.
    I told him to load the tire in the trunk & all hop in. Got him to the station, fixed the tire in the bright overhead lights, got them back & helped put the tire on.
    I was going to leave with nothing but a "Hope you have a better night!" But the guy chased me down almost to the car & held out $100 bill. Would not take no for an answer.
    Makes you feel good.

14. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

What a great story.

15. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

What a fantastic story thanks for telling it
    Cheers paul

16. slammed

slammed

It brought out the good in the young pups who helped without charge. They then dug the ride to their destination.

17. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

18. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Great story
    Hot rods seem to make the old young again
    Bridge generation gaps
    Strangers to aquaintances (especially at gas stations)
    and you are rarely stranded