Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars made into signs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hodad, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hodad

Hodad

I obviously have some time on my hands this morning. I pass this sad little Renault Daulpine made into a sign every summer on the way to Grand Lake Stream Maine and finally got the wife to stop for a minute to snap a few pictures. Any one else got pictures of old iron skewered on a signpost?.. I fear these landmarks are going away.. so I am taking pictures of the old reliable landmarks I know and love. There is another one on route 9.. a Studebaker truck on a post.. will try to get a picture of that one next time. On a side note.. one of the reasons I always look for this sign is that my dad's parent's chipped in and "helped" him buy a Daulphine when he went off to college. My uncle Ronnie had just got one and raved about it. Grandpa thought it would be a good car for my dad to own.. His older brother got a 56 Chevy.. but dad got the Daulphine. On the plus side the front trunk was a good beer cooler that dad rigged so you could grab a beer through the dash.. it had a plug on the bottom to drain off the water when the ice melted. On the bad side.. dad said there must have been a timer that went off at 30,000 miles.. he said even the door latches failed.. It gave my dad the reputation as a car killer.. Uncle Ronnie's met the same fate.. but his mileage accumilated slower .. so dad was never cleared from his car killer fate. That's the story. If you have some pics .. please post them. Hodad

Attached Files:

2. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I was going through Wyoming on a motorcycle a few weeks ago and saw this:
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  3. Hodad

Hodad

Thank you .. keep em coming

4. younggun13

younggun13

those are really cool lets see some more!!!

5. If any of you have ever heard of Nemacolin Woodlands resort in western PA, they use a Model A roadster to advertise their ice cream shop. The owner of the 5-star resort (Joe Hardy - founder of 84 Lumber) has money to burn and could careless about the car. Its a "real" roadster too. I will say that they do bring the car inside for the harsh PA winters, but it is still outside about 9 months of the year and is not taken care of very well at all. When I worked there, I tried my damndest to get it, but they weren't budging...

6. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

7. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Heres one

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I think there is another one in Louden NH, on 106, near the track. Cool thread, I agree this stuff is going away, no more unique cool stuff, all cookie cutter.

9. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Another

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  10. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Two more

Attached Files:

11. rkw1969

rkw1969
    from oklahoma

i-40 goin through Midwest City in Oklahoma there is a car dealer with a convertible 57 chevy been on the roof for decades with the top down.

12. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

In Mexico, a guy sells old cars from his house and had this on the roof.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.

13. Where is the car actually located? I drive RT 40 past Nemacolin all the time to see my parents in Pittsburgh and haven't noticed it...??? Is it actually at the resort or on RT 40?

14. Hodad

Hodad

Thank you for all the additions..

15. rixrex

rixrex

Any of you Austin guys remember that slice of a red and white Metropolitan that used to hang on the Bldg. at 51st. and Duval? I made that, had a buddy in S.A. paint it...

16. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Over here in Rogers there used to be a little Alfa Romeo (crappy little car though) mounted on a pole that was about 30 feet in the air. They finally took it down. It was originally red but birds always landed on it and pretty much used it as their crapper. (Hence the crappy little car part)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  17. It's off of Rt 40 on the resort grounds by the main hotel.

18. here's a couple

Attached Files:

19. one more

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. vintage tin

vintage tin

Ellingson's car museum. Rogers, MN

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Dont have A pic but there is one on 287N in Boonton NJ.

22. henry29

henry29

Found on google.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

that one is up here in wisconsin, i believe off of interstate 43 just north of beloit on the north side of the highway.

24. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would love to find the pic again, there was/is a 64-66 chevy truck that has been narrowed to about 3 feet wide and is a sign ,somewhere in west texas I think...
    I might have even seen the pic here on the hamb a few years back..

25. Slonaker

Slonaker

In the days before digital cameras, I collected photos like these. It started as a project for a folklore class in grad school, and just developed from there. My professor really liked the project, and even suggested a few that he knew of. :)

I have gotten out of the habit lately, and have no idea where all of the photos are. :(

Slonaker

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

You are correct Fiddyfour. That truck in the tree is Mark Madson.

27. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thought so, thanks!

28. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

In Chicago there was a pole with about seven cars all stacked on it, there has to be some pics somewhere, I'll look

29. Locally there used to be a '58-ish Isetta or some other tiny little car on a roof, was painted yellow, but I haven't been by there in a while - and at the Nats this year someone had a yellow Isetta in about the same shape, for sale, stuffed in the bed of an 80's Chevy crewcab dually.

I know of others but they're late model stuff - a Chevette, like a '79 Eldorado... and Fulton Speedway always used to have a '30-'31 A coupe on their sign. Wasn't much more than a body and frame... I think someone said in another thread here that it got taken down and sold.