Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Cars in Kansas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryceaugustine, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ok just incase anyone is interested. in the middle of kansas right off of I-70 on exit 290. There is a place of wonder and wimsy calld Easy Jack and Son's. It looks like a salvage yard. I have never tried myself. but i do believe that they sell some of the merchandise they have. If nothing else its neat to drive the outside and see a few things sittin there.

It is located between Chapman Ks and Junction City Ks. and Chapman Ks has some sort of a racing museum. I honestly dont know about it i never stopped.

2. crashgravis

crashgravis

3. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Go in tell them you want to see Model A Ford stuff and you can spend the next three or four hours looking at all kinds of stuff and yes its all for sale but he knows what it is worth. I have a bunch of pics, I will see if I can figure out how to put them on this thread

4. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

They've been around for a long long time - didn't Rod & Custom do an article on them back in '68?

5. no i dont have pics. if i did that would also require me knowing how to post them...and it is possible rod and custom did an article in 68 i wasnt around then and i never looked it up. i would like to stop and talk to them sometime. maybe next summer sometime when things calm down some.

6. Bilt

Bilt

Heck yeah....Kansas is where we hoard all the cool original metal. ModelTHaven in Iola, Kansas has five acres of model T stuff as well and its all for sale too. We are going to take the sunflower off our license plates and put rusty model A's and T's on it instead!!!

7. aircap

aircap

The racing museum is OK - lots of stuff on the first US Nats at Great Bend, and lots of dirt circle track stuff. Very hot rod....

8. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

69 actually, happen to have that issue in a frame on the wall

9. nicley done!

10. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Been there many times, there's no other place like it. How often do you hear, "this half of our yard is post war and the other half is prewar"!

11. von birch

von birch

yeah man, easy jacks is great! between me and my buddies, i found them to be awesome on prices for whole cars, and hit and miss on individual parts. even if you're not looking for anything in particular, it's an awesome place to walk around!

12. Hard to believe they still have stuff. I have heard about them for decades. Why has it not sold out...too expensive?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good grief...what a treasure!!
    I am always impressed when I see these old pics on how well preserved the old grill shrouds are...
    Man, where has that quality gone to...a really sad situation..
    Thanks for posting...
    Cheers.

14. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

An FYI....they have no more 32-34' Ford cabs. Don't ask me how I know.

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

THere IS a 32 2 door sedan there, but its not for sale. Jack Welsh drove it years ago as a roundy round car. I bought the last chopped deuce grill and 32 firewall there. I took several trips and about 2-3 years of going before enough things were turned over to find them. oh, and be prepaired to pay east and west coast prices.

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Now I know what I will be doing on black Friday. Wife has to work, and I can go up there and take some pics and check out all the stuff. My ex boss was looking for an LB block ford flathead, and this guy might have one. I myself will be looking for some other treasures.

17. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

Easy Jacks is great!! if you need old car parts just call jammin (jacks son)
    hell of a nice guy and he's got lots of parts and the price is always fair.
    Im going down after some model AA truck parts in the next week or two.
    I always like to take an extra couple of hours to walk the yard its the coolest place around.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just found out yesterday, that Jack Welsh owner of "Easy Jacks" has passed away as of Sunday. One of his grandsons is my neighbor, they plan to keep operating the yard as they always have.

19. kscarguy

kscarguy

My story about Easy Jacks is not so positive.

Back in 1995, on the way home to KC from Denver, I stopped by to buy some model A parts. They told me to go and take off the small parts I wanted out in the yard and they would be fair on the prices. I spent two hours in the blistering hot sun fighting rusty bolts. When I went back to the office, they quoted stupidly high prices. For instance, the rod on the door for the latch...$30, the plate on top of the door glass, $70...I left everything on the counter and left there. I was hot, tired and pissed off. Back in 1995 that was highway robbery. When I got home, I bought the rod for $5 and the plate for $15 from a reputable Model A dealer.

20. tejas34

tejas34

I been there a few times... It seems that the son prices everything based on what the item sold for on E-Bay, regardless of condition.
    Better take a bunch of bucks with you when you go. At least you save on shipping!!!:D

21. littlered

littlered
    from Kansas

Been my experience as well.

22. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Just talked my buddy into going and taking up dated pictures... He lives in junction city and is looking for a t body...

23. williebill

williebill

This post is worthless except for the historical aspect. After the R&C article came out,while I was still in high school,I wrote to Easy Jacks,and they sent me their catalog. Just dug it out to write this post. It's dated 1967,and listed as #1. The invoice for the catalog is dated May 20,1968,and they charged me $1 for it.48 pages of EVERY brand name you can think of. I wish I knew how to put it all on the HAMB,but here's just a very few examples of their prices.

34 Ford coupes, $65, $85, $175

32 Ford coupe,"bad motor" $200

35,36,37,39,and 40 coupes,from $25 to $395

34 Ford cabriolet ,"rough" $185

Tons of sedans listed
    Page after page of individual Ford parts listed,damn near everything

32 frames $60, 33-34 frames $45, 35-41 frames $35

I could type all night,but naaaa. The forward/intro sez they opened in 1963,and that this is a catalog from 66. They put a 67 sticker over the 66 on the cover of mine.

Oh yeah Model As,every body style,starting at $25,hundreds of them listed.

The amount of stuff,all brands,is astounding. I spent many a night as a teenager reading this,and underlining all the cars I wanted to buy. Kansas is a long way from Tennessee,so it never happened.

Glad they're still around.

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

They are still there, but THOSE cars are not there... except maybe the 35-40 crowd. Its still a great place to kill a couple hours, I alway seem to find something I cant live without each time I go.

25. Sad to report this guys, Easy Jacks Auto Parts Founder Jack Welsh passes away at the age of 84. R.I.P. Easy Jack !!! >>>>.