Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars are better cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olcurmdgeon, Jul 2, 2010.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to admit that the frame thats under my 89 crown vic daily driver has survived 21 Ohio winters and not rusted out like a 65 galaxie would have by 10 years old but would rather drive a older vehicle then mess with a 96 and newer OBD II vehicles,my 89 has some holes in the rocker panels that a 65 would not have and would rather change frames then mess with all the electronics.

2. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I wonder if those frames are for collision repair? A friend of mine has a very new chevy truck, wrecked it pretty good this spring and instead of totaling, they replaced the frame. It's hard to argue that a car that doesn't need new plugs or coolant in 100K miles isn't somewhat better. I don't have time to set points on my way to a 6am meeting.

My wife and I drive new cars as daily's, but I stick with V8, rear wheel drive GM products. The principles are the same and they're fairly easy to work on. I'm completely lost in a fwd foreign job.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

No. It's a well known FACT that Toyota is having big issues with the frames on trucks rusting to the point of potential collapse and has been buying back trucks at higher than top used vehicle pricing for those pickups. They want them off the road.
    The wrecking yards up here are full of them, even though the really good ones get treated with a zinc spray and sent back to the owner...with an extended rust warranty if I heard correctly..
    Toyota is having major durability problems on many different things actually.
    Some engines included!
    Too big...too fast.

BTW...It's the exception these days for a frame to get replaced due to accident damage.
    Once a truck frame gets hit hard enough for it to need replacing rather than repairing, you can be sure the bags are out and the seatbelt tensioners have fired, so it gets real expensive to put the interior back in order.
    Combine that with the labour to replace the frame and body parts and she's on a flatbed to the scrapyard.

4. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

"In Cuba, Brazil, and Argentina Old Cars are the transportation backbone of the working class"

I wish it was true!!! :) ...Brazil is the sixth car maker in the world...Every year the industries down here put millions of car in the streets...So the cars are brand new in the streets of Brazil...Unfortunately we dont have the same situation of Cuba were you can see all those beatiful Chevys, Fords and Cadillacs from the 50's still running...Here that kind of cars are more and more rare and expensive as the time goes by... :(...I send some pictures of the streets here just to have an idea what im talking about...

Attached Files: